TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Matt Norlander doubts that Olivier Sarr gets eligible for next season

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Matt Norlander doubts that Olivier Sarr gets eligible for next season
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-19-2020 10:13 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yesterday on The Take with Andy Sweeney (and yours truly) on ESPN 680 (105.7), we had Matt Norlander from CBS Sports on with us to discuss a multitude of topics, including new Kentucky Wildcats center Olivier Sarr.

Most college basketball writers and analysts agree that Sarr should get a waiver from the NCAA to be immediately eligible to play at Kentucky due to the circumstances of former Wake Forest head coach Danny Manning being fired. Sarr claimed that he was ready to test the NBA waters, but Manning convinced him to stay before being fired soon afterwards.

There was also encouraging news that the new head coach of the Demon Deacons, Steve Forbes, stated that he will support Sarr getting immediately eligible.

Things seem pretty clear cut for the waiver, but Norlander says not so fast. He’s been consistently saying that he is very doubtful that Sarr will be able to suit up for the Cats and John Calipari this season.

“Sarr, I don’t think is going to be playing at Kentucky next season,” said Norlander. “That is because players that have been in his position in the past that have been leaving one university for another, not as a graduate transfer, have not been given a waiver.”

Norlander then goes on to outline his reasoning in more detail as why he does not think Sarr will be playing for Kentucky. He also goes into some reasons as to maybe why Sarr could be eligible at the end, but ultimately he does not think it’s going to happen.

Obviously, this would be a major blow to Kentucky if Sarr isn’t available. The NCAA is notoriously slow with these cases, some of them going right up until the beginning of the season before being resolved. What looks like a fairly clear cut case could drag on until October.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 05-20-2020 10:03 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I will be very, very surprised if Sarr plays this year. We really need him, but I just don't see the NCAA granting him the waiver. UK just doesn't EVER get those breaks. If he had transferred to another school I feel he would have a better chance. I hope I am wrong.
Posts: 5420 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 05-20-2020 10:18 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ukman, I hope you’re wrong as well but I don’t think you are.
Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-20-2020 10:23 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm still holding the thought that if he really wants to play there will be a final say in the court system, no pun intended.
Posts: 14119 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 05-20-2020 12:29 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He has said that if he can not play then he will turn pro. So its this yr or none for us..

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com