TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Breaking News

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Breaking News
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 05-06-2020 01:23 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wake Forest star center Olivier Sarr is officially a Kentucky Wildcat.
This afternoon, the 7-foot center native of France announced his commitment to Kentucky, opting to transfer to UK over a return to Wake Forest, among interest from more than a dozen high-profile schools such as Duke, Baylor, Florida State, and Gonzaga.
“First of all, I want to thank everyone at Wake Forest – everyone from the fans, to my teammates, to all the coaches, the staff, the administration, my teachers, our academic support team, the RAs, managers and so many others – for all they’ve done for me the last three years.
All of you worked with me to make me a better person, a better basketball player, and a better man. I am indebted to all of you for the experience I’ve had the last three seasons. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
To all the fans at Wake Forest, thank you for adopting me and making me one of your own. I’ll never forget my time in Winston-Salem and the memories our team made playing for you. Once a Demon Deacon, always a Demon Deacon.
With everything that has happened in the last 2-3 weeks, I’ve had a lot to think about and consider. If I’m being honest, it’s been an emotional struggle for me. Coach Manniing and the staff were family. After thinking deeply about it, talking with my support system, and weighing my future, I just didn’t feel like I could be at my best by returning to Wake Forest. With that said, I have decided to finish my career at the University of Kentucky and take the challenge. I want to thank everyone for their kindness and respect in coming to this decision. I will always be a fan of Wake Forest.
“BBN, I can’t wait to get started.”

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 05-06-2020 02:27 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is a very nice parting statement from Sarr.
Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-06-2020 07:27 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I see no way the NCAA can stop him from being eligible this season since his coach was fired. You think the prognosticators will start moving us up in the 20-21 rankings? Wait till Cal adds another big man. Did we ever have any doubt we would be a contender for the final four again. [Big Grin] [Razz]
Posts: 14130 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 05-06-2020 07:34 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
BC … I read somewhere today that players from a school that got rid of their coach (I believe it was unlv but not positive) didn't get the waiver (I think one went to Texas Tech and not sure where the other one or two went) and had to sit out a year. If that is correct then he might or might not be eligible. I can't find where I read the article or I would link it. I am guessing he will be eligible but you never know with the ncaa. I wish they would make a rule and put it in black and white stating that kids could move without having to get a waiver or sit out if their coach left or was fired. That would get rid of the arbitrary waivers !!!

MEL

[ 05-06-2020, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: MEL ]

Posts: 2791 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-06-2020 08:21 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think if he wanted to play bad enough he could get a lawyer to represent him.
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 05-06-2020 08:45 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn't say he couldn't play … just said he doesn't get a waiver automatically.

MEL

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 05-07-2020 08:51 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is awfully rare that a transfer gets a waiver. In my opinion, a head coaching change should NOT be grounds for a waiver. The school should come first - sports should be secondary. And I know i'm probably waaaaay in the minority here. [Smile]
Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 05-07-2020 08:53 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's what could happen if he doesn't get a waiver.

"Sarr told ESPN he has too many credits remaining to become a grad transfer and that if his waiver isn’t accepted, he will pursue professional options instead of sitting out. "

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 05-07-2020 10:59 AM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ukc … sounds like his Wake Forest education taught him something.

MEL

GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 05-07-2020 01:50 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think odds are small that he ever plays at Kentucky.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2229 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 05-07-2020 01:51 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
It is awfully rare that a transfer gets a waiver. In my opinion, a head coaching change should NOT be grounds for a waiver. The school should come first - sports should be secondary. And I know i'm probably waaaaay in the minority here. [Smile]

Actually, I see your point, but also disagree. I think if coaches are allowed to move and scholarships are not guaranteed beyond one year, the student athlete should be just as mobile.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2229 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 05-07-2020 02:33 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is some information I found on recent changing of coaches and players transferring.

UNLV players didn't get waivers last year after coaching change. Koby McEwen did not play for Marquette last year after Utah State fired its coach. Jamal Johnson from Memphis did not play for Auburn after Tubby Smith was fired. Pitt players that transferred after Stallings was fired did not play as well for their new teams. Hell, Louisville transfers were not eligible to play after Pitino mess! (Lance Thomas to Memphis) Etc.

MEL

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 05-07-2020 03:35 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ga Cat:
quote:
I think odds are small that he ever plays at Kentucky
I agree. May not even have basketball this year anyway.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-07-2020 03:53 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna agree to disagree with above. I am not going searching for instances but I know there have been some instances where firing of the coach enabled players to get waivers to play immediately at other universities.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-07-2020 04:16 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"""Waiver requests are judged individually and subjectivity bakes into the process — which can make results seem ambiguous.

“If you get lawyers you’re going to get it, but if you can’t afford the lawyers, you’re not,”""

I'm betting UK makes sure he has a good lawyer when he faces the NCAA.

MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 05-07-2020 04:31 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not sure uk can pay for a lawyer for Sarr can they ???

MEL

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 05-07-2020 04:37 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Look Mel, we paid damn good money for Sarr! Surely the NCAA won’t be chickensh*t enough to quibble about us paying for a lawyer!

[ 05-07-2020, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 05-07-2020 04:41 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GA Cat:
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:

Actually, I see your point, but also disagree. I think if coaches are allowed to move and scholarships are not guaranteed beyond one year, the student athlete should be just as mobile.
I think I would be okay with transferring after the semester is over as long as scholarships are one-year deals. However, if a student leaves in the middle of the year (ala Kahlil Whitney), he should have to sit out that long the following year.
Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 05-07-2020 05:12 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hc … you are hilarious but truthful [Wink]

MEL

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com