TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Yes, the G-League is now a legitimate alternative to college basketball

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yes, the G-League is now a legitimate alternative to college basketball
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-16-2020 03:13 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It’s safe to say that Tuesday, April 14th, 2020 will not go down as a banner day in the history of college basketball.

Early in the day, Isaiah Todd, a five-star recruit who had been committed to Michigan since the fall, announced that he would pursue pro options. Later in the day, speculation began to ramp up, that the No. 2 player in America Jalen Green, who had seemingly been set to make a college choice between Auburn and Memphis this week, will instead turn pro on Thursday (it’s not confirmed, but that’s the buzz). And shortly after midnight the internet blew up with rumors that the G-League is in pursuit of several other elite high school players.

Our own Matt Jones reported that Kentucky signee Terrence Clarke was one of those players, and that the G-League was now offering upwards of $500,000 to players interested in pursuing that path.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-16-2020 05:34 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I’m guessing that most of the Top 25 to 30 players will start to go this route in the next few years. It’s a much better alternative than wasting a year in college for these prospects. At the end of the day I think it is a win win win for the kids, NBA, and colleges.

On top of a nice salary, they can also sign endorsement deals (I.e. the Green kid will more than likely sign a million dollar deal with Nike as an example). Zero limits on how much and with whom you can practice. It’s about time the NBA came up with this model.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11567 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-16-2020 09:20 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This might finally bleed out the "one and dones" and we can finally get back to 4-year players being the norm.

I am very happy to hear this.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13615 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-16-2020 11:18 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The NBA should've done this years ago. I'm all for it.

[ 04-16-2020, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: PaulCat ]

Posts: 10338 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-17-2020 06:29 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I’m not so sure this will be the answer to the one and done.

Going to the G league and playing in front of a small crowd with much less enthusiasm that a college atmosphere will be unappealing to most of these kids. I can’t imagine they will make a big name for themselves there and recognition is a big part of these kids make up.

I can’t imagine Zion Williams going to the G league for instance. I don’t think it would have been a good move for him. IMO, the majority of high school super stars will continue to go the one and done route.

Posts: 5396 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 04-17-2020 09:48 AM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by handycat:
I’m not so sure this will be the answer to the one and done.

Going to the G league and playing in front of a small crowd with much less enthusiasm that a college atmosphere will be unappealing to most of these kids. I can’t imagine they will make a big name for themselves there and recognition is a big part of these kids make up.

I can’t imagine Zion Williams going to the G league for instance. I don’t think it would have been a good move for him. IMO, the majority of high school super stars will continue to go the one and done route.

You are right, this will be hard on the ego, but if they are smart they will choose to go to the G-league where they play against better competition with unlimited practice time, than go to college where their development is limited by practice time and they play a considerable number of games against bunny teams that provide no real resistance for development.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2252 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 04-17-2020 09:52 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks like I need to change my signature from:

"I'm at Ky because I can recruit the best of the best"

To:

"I'm at Ky because I can recruit the best of the rest"

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-17-2020 10:25 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Going to the G league and playing in front of a small crowd with much less enthusiasm that a college atmosphere will be unappealing to most of these kids.

They will not be playing in the G league. It is a yearlong developmental program with G League oversight that will include professional coaching, top prospects and veteran players who will combine training and exhibition competitions against the likes of G League teams, foreign national teams and NBA academies throughout the world.

The season would include 10 to 12 games against G League teams that would not count in standings from what I have read. The opinion piece that was attached this this topic is not completely accurate in my opinion.

The primary objective will be assimilation and growth into the NBA on several levels from playing to the teaching of life skills.

So they get a $500,000 per year salary and they can sign endorsement deals. So yes, I think a player like Zion would definitely go this route. He could have signed his $75 million dollar Nike contract one year earlier. His multi-million dollar Gatorade deal a year earlier and any other endorsement deal he has signed.

I'm a big fan of the G league. I go to G league games all the time since we have a team 20 miles from my house. The level of play in the G league is far superior to college basketball in my opinion.

[ 04-17-2020, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-17-2020 10:30 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
The NBA should've done this years ago. I'm all for it.

Agree. They are finally starting to learn from Major League Baseball. Almost all of the top baseball prospect go directly from High School into the MLB minor league systems.

--------------------

redbone

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-17-2020 10:33 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Did not realize they got half a million per year. Thought it was 50 thousand. That changes my mind.

However I don’t think Nike or anybody else would have given him that kind of money without the exposure given to him by ESPN. Just my opinion and I make no claim to be an expert.

[ 04-17-2020, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5396 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-17-2020 10:36 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Did not realize they got half a million per year. Thought it was 50 thousand. That changes my mind.

Yeah. I think it is a pretty good idea. It will be interesting to see how many players they try to get to come to this developmental program at that salary and maybe they will not offer all players the same amount (maybe it would be a sliding scale). Maybe they limit it to 10 per year or something. I'm assuming it will be invite only to join the developmental program.

It will be interesting to see additional information that comes out on this.

[ 04-17-2020, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 04-17-2020 10:46 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
According to KSR this morning, these elites will get a lot more money than a g league player would and will play a different schedule. They wont play g league teams but will play overseas teams, all star teams for one yr then go to the nba draft. Don't know how true but passing on what I heard...

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-17-2020 01:15 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's one reason it may not last, though. Or at least give a kid reason to stay away from it.

Say a kid goes this new route and gets, let's just say $1 million even though it looks like a base of $500k. The NBA will be evaluating this kid the entire time. If he doesn't seem to pan out in this development program, he may be a second right pick or not even drafted (although probably not likely). Now if this same kid went to college and was one-and-done, he probably goes in the first round with a guaranteed 3-year rookie contract.

Imagine if a player like Marquis Teague went this route and the NBA was able to see that he wasn't really a first rounded. I do believe this new program is targeting the most elite out of high-school, so this is probably just a moot point.

[ 04-17-2020, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: PaulCat ]

Posts: 10338 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-17-2020 04:02 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the focus of teams with high draft picks will be on these new "elite" kids in this program.

Being on ESPN may get the general fan base excited about a player, but that isn't how the NBA works. This will essentially be a year-long paid internship, after which the teams will have REAMS of data and film to evaluate the players for the draft. They will have performance metrics, evaluations from the coaches and evidence from playing NBA-style games against elite competition. I suspect that some of them will flop (the 80/20 rule applies everywhere), but it will give both the NBA and companies seeking to offer endorsements a much, much better picture than a year of college ball ever would.

I do think this is a limited program though (25 or so a year), so it will remove the "five star" players from the college scene. Those are typically the "one and dones" that everybody fights over. Yes, you occasionally get a 3 or 4 star player that shines as a freshman and gets drafted, but those are rare (Shai Gilgeous-Alexander comes to mind), and those can still happen, but the vast majority of high school players will go to COLLEGE, not to an "unpaid internship" en route to the NBA.

And that, my friends, would be simply awesome.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13615 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 04-18-2020 11:49 AM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:
This might finally bleed out the "one and dones" and we can finally get back to 4-year players being the norm.

I am very happy to hear this.

Tiptree, I hope you're right but so many still tend to leave after their sophomore & junior years.
Posts: 1497 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com