TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » NCAA unlikely to grant additional year.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NCAA unlikely to grant additional year.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-19-2020 07:46 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
https://www.yardbarker.com/college_basketball/articles/report_ncaa_unlikely_to_grant_winter_athletes_extra_eligibility/s1_127_31595336?mb_edition=20200319&mb_loc=right_h

I don’t believe this would have a great affect on us one way or the other.

Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-19-2020 07:54 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I say the only way you grant an extra year is if the kid hasn't graduated. Other than that, I don't believe a kid should get another year.
Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-19-2020 09:39 AM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't see any reason for anyone to be granted another year if they have played 4 years. That would open a can of worms.
Now the spring sports that haven't played much or at all I say yes they should.

MEL

Posts: 2793 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-21-2020 02:53 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think they should grant it for sure. Another poor decision if this is the direction the NCAA goes.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11542 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-21-2020 07:12 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I see no way they grant it for winter sports … the teams have 80ish % of their schedule. The spring sports have played a few games or ran in a few meets. Besides as we all know life isn't always fair.

MEL

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-21-2020 07:27 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Never said life was fair. I just don't see the harm in granting that opportunity to the student athlete. Does it really impact a lot of the larger programs? I would say no, but man for the Seniors in the Mid-Major and smaller conferences, who maybe worked 4 years to put their team into a position to make March Madness and to have it end like this just sucks.

NCAA could grant waivers if Seniors decided to stay and it put them over the max spots available due to incoming recruits. I just can't see the harm or a negative at all to the scenario.

Once again it just proves that the NCAA could care less about the "student-athlete".

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-21-2020 09:41 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're right Trey. Sestino came to UK with the idea he would be on a better team than they had at Bucknell and this would give him a chance to live that great moment of being able to say I played in the NCAA tournament. Really a bad way to treat these student athletes when you have rules and then stop the completion of their plans with no compensation. I don't think this really applies to many of them anyway.
Posts: 14132 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-21-2020 11:22 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What about a senior who gets injured in the final regular season game? Does he get another year? What about seniors on terrible teams whose season has ended. Give them another year, too? It is what it is. There would be too many "what ifs" to give seniors another year just because the tourney got cancelled.
Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-21-2020 11:31 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Totally agree PC … spring sports I can see but not winter sports.

MEL

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-21-2020 11:34 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
What about a senior who gets injured in the final regular season game? Does he get another year? What about seniors on terrible teams whose season has ended. Give them another year, too? It is what it is. There would be too many "what ifs" to give seniors another year just because the tourney got cancelled.

Give them all another year. Special circumstances. This is a truly abnormal situation we are facing. I see absolutely no harm in it. More than likely a good % would choose not to come back, but some would. I see no negatives that can come out of it.

I’m not just talking basketball either. All of the sports: wrestling, gymnastics, etc.

[ 03-22-2020, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-22-2020 12:13 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MEL:
Totally agree PC … spring sports I can see but not winter sports.

MEL

I don’t understand the logic of granting to Spring sports, but not the winter sports that were not complete. That really makes no sense to me.

Baseball season was already 20 games in, the indoor track and field season was complete, golf was playing, etc.

[ 03-22-2020, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-22-2020 09:46 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes this is a special circumstance that will probably never happen again. Why are they giving it to baseball?? Mainly because they will not have an ending where they could play an SEC tourney and try to qualify for the national playoffs. That's the same situation as basketball only the games played are different. If you study it carefully it's not because they haven't been able to play all their games.

[ 03-22-2020, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

Posts: 14132 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com