TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » NO FANS

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NO FANS
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-11-2020 05:00 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If March Madness happens without fans in the stands, does it really happen at all? We’re about to find out. NCAA President Mark Emmert just announced that the 2020 NCAA Tournament will be held without fans in attendance over fears of the coronavirus outbreak.
Here is the statement from the NCAA:
The NCAA COVID-19 Advisory Panel recognizes the fluidity of COVID-19 and its impact on hosting events in a public space. COVID-19 is spreading rapidly in the United States, and behavioral risk mitigation strategies are the best option for slowing the spread of this disease. This is especially important because mildly symptomatic individuals can transmit COVID-19. Given these considerations, coupled with a more unfavorable outcome of COVID-19 in older adults – especially those with underlying chronic medical conditions – we recommend against sporting events open to the public. We do believe sport events can take place with only essential personnel and limited family attendance, and this protects our players, employees, and fans.
And from Mark Emmert:
The NCAA continues to assess the impact of COVID-19 in consultation with public health officials and our COVID-19 advisory panel. Based on their advice and my discussions with the NCAA Board of Governors, I have made the decision to conduct our upcoming championship events, including the Division I men’s and women’s basketball tournaments, with only essential staff and limited family attendance. While I understand how disappointing this is for all fans of our sports, my decision is based on the current understanding of how COVID-19 is progressing in the United States. This decision is in the best interest of public health, including that of coaches, administrators, fans and, most importantly, our student-athletes. We recognize the opportunity to compete in an NCAA national championship is an experience of a lifetime for the students and their families. Today, we will move forward and conduct championships consistent with the current information and will continue to monitor and make adjustments as needed.
What a weird time to be alive.

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-11-2020 06:00 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Part of me agrees with this decision, and part of me doesn't. This disease isn't polio or leprosy - it's basically like the flu. Heck, I heard today that a 100-year old man in China just got over having the virus. I like it in that it will really help to stop this thing in its tracks, but at some point you can't live in fear.
Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 03-11-2020 08:10 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I get why they made the decision, but man does it suck. My dad passed away in November and he had purchased final four tickets for us this year. We live in Atlanta and we were really looking forward to going, and being able to use this last gift from my dad. He was so excited that he had got them. They say it's week to week, and I sure hope they find a way to stop this and the final four can happen. I do know in the grand scheme of things my inconvenience is just that, and inconvenience. I feel more for those people who's work depends on being able to work those events. The people that work the food stations, etc. Praying all this craziness goes away soon so the world can get back to normal, whatever that is. With my luck the Cats will make it to this final four and I won't be able to be there. If that happens I may just have to write a country song about it.
Posts: 5424 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-11-2020 08:27 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unman, good post. I agree.
Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-11-2020 10:22 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The problem I have with it is that people are still going to go out in public just not to the games so is it really going to help stop it from spreading ??? People ar3e still gonna go shopping, eating out, the movies and such.

MEL

Posts: 2791 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 03-11-2020 10:27 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukman:
If that happens I may just have to write a country song about it.

May be the best post of the day!

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36266 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 03-11-2020 10:46 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MEL:
The problem I have with it is that people are still going to go out in public just not to the games so is it really going to help stop it from spreading ??? People ar3e still gonna go shopping, eating out, the movies and such.

MEL

Could not agree more MEL!

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 836 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-12-2020 10:48 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We're not all following that line. As President of Chapter 1066 of the Vietnam Veterans of America in Richmond, KY I decided a couple days ago that we were going to have our meeting at 6:30 PM tonight. We are all 60+ old guys and we can get by with fist bumps or elbow banging instead of hand shakes as we usually do. Besides that there have been no known cases of the virus here in Madison County. It's election night and we need to fill some important positions in this organization. [Cool]

[ 03-12-2020, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

Posts: 14130 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-12-2020 01:41 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, one gets tested today and is ok - he/she goes to church next day, is he/she getting tested again? Crazy - as testing only gives u pass/fail for before not 30 mins after...

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-12-2020 02:48 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No fans is bad but now....There will be no games! UK has been declared the representative for the SEC. That is if they even hold an NCAA Tourney??? [Eek!]
Posts: 14130 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com