TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » How will Kentucky fare during the final week of regular-season play?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How will Kentucky fare during the final week of regular-season play?
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-03-2020 02:30 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We’ve made it.

The final week of the regular season is here, and the Kentucky Wildcats have two more games to boost their tournament resumes.

With the SEC already won, all Kentucky will look to finish the regular season strong with a home game Tuesday against the Tennessee Volunteers and a trip south Saturday to take on the Florida Gators.

Kentucky defeated Tennessee in Knoxville back on Feb. 8 and won last year’s meeting at Rupp Arena over a Vols team ranked No. 1 in the country.

Tennessee will come to town looking to keep their slim tournament hopes alive as they picked up a crucial victory over Florida on Saturday.

The Wildcats also defeated their Saturday opponent earlier this year, as they took down the Gators at Rupp Arena on Feb. 22.

Florida had started to play much better, but the loss at Tennessee Saturday marked a bump in the road as they look to improve their seeding for March.

Can the Cats sweep aside the Vols and Gators to finish the regular season with a 26-5 overall record?

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186355 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 03-03-2020 08:05 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hard to believe it's already here! Seems just like yesterday we were watching the Big Blue Madness!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123952 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-04-2020 11:26 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it will be a big relief to have this season over for me and some others also.
Posts: 14112 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 03-04-2020 12:25 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I never want the season to be over. I just want this team to put it together. I still think we have the potential to make a deep run since there are no dominant teams. However, I also think we could go out really early. It just depends which team shows up for which half, and if Cal will make adjustments or not. Hoping it could be like the Harrison twins freshmen year. That team was frustrating, and looked bad at the end of the season, but went on a real nice run.
Posts: 5420 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 03-04-2020 01:38 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ukman, is there anything positive about Calipari in your eyes?

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 03-04-2020 02:19 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As I have said many times before I think he is a great recruiter, I think he develops players very well, I think he genuinely cares about his players, and I think he is great at getting guys to play together and to be unselfish. That's alot of positives. The negative I have always had is his lack of adjustments, and unwillingness to switch defenses. And I think there are others out there that share at least some of my same feelings. I have also said that I don't want another coach because I believe he fits this job great. I just want him to improve, and be willing to learn new things, and try some new stuff. He does the most important thing in college ball really, really well; and that's recruit.
Posts: 5420 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 03-04-2020 04:24 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you. Good to hear.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-04-2020 05:00 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In 10 seasons with Calipari at the helm, Kentucky has churned out three No. 1 selections, 29 first-rounders, 21 lottery picks and 38 total players in the NBA Draft. The 38 draft picks are 14 more than the next closest school (Duke).

He is the only coach who has coached four No. 1 overall selections (Derrick Rose, John Wall, Anthony Davis and Karl-Anthony Towns), the only coach to have five first-round selections in the same NBA Draft (2010) and the only coach to have six players taken in one NBA Draft in the modern two-round era (2012 and 2015).

When Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist went 1-2 in the 2012 NBA Draft, Calipari became the first coach of any of the three major American sports to have the top two players in the same draft.

“The Kentucky Effect is there and it’s real,” Coach Cal said. “Senator Mitch McConnell has said to me, ‘You’re creating more millionaires than a Wall Street firm,’ and I went, wow, we are.”

Link

--------------------

Posts: 186355 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-04-2020 08:50 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CM … that is all good but is that what you want uk to really be all about (the nba and millionaires) ???
UNC is having a horrible year but I like that the kids are fighting for every win right now and I know who they are. I like that we have kids come back for 2-3 and 4 years, I love seeing teams grow as teams not individuals, (sure we have a one and done here and there but I love the college game and would rather win ACC and ncaa championships than put X number of players in the millionaire status !!! But that is just me...

MEL

Posts: 2789 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-04-2020 09:20 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mel,

You are mostly preaching to the choir. Many of us have expressed the same thoughts as you did. But, like it or not, the top talent wants to be one and done. So, the continuity we yearn for will not be there, unless we want to stop recruiting the best players.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13591 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-04-2020 10:07 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mel, Heavens no, I just posted the article.I feel like you do but would point out the only way we can recruit these one season super star players is to do what Calipari does and Pitino did. They let the players know they have no problem with them leaving when they think they can make a NBA roster and the big bucks! If you think about it's a heck of a good recruiting tool. I am old school and a Tubby Smith fan, he did it the old fashion way and developed the players and they stayed ln the program longer and got a better education.(and a few more loses)

--------------------

MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-05-2020 01:00 AM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am with you CM … Coach Williams goes after the best but I don't think it bothers him too much if he doesn't get more than one or so (even though this next year they have the 3rd ranked class as of now). We are getting a kid named RJ Davis who I think is the steal of the class... he is a certified bucket getter but is only around 6 foot and that is probably a stretch.... he can flat out ball. I think he is going to be around a few years (hopefully 4 … a Joel Berry type player that isn't the top of the rung athlete but can play and shoot the ball. These are the type kids I think Coach Williams really likes (take Luke May for example … kid starts out at the bottom but becomes a great player by the time he is a soph and junior). I really believe you win championships with these type kids with maybe one or two top tier players (UNC did that with Berry, May, Meeks, Isiah Hicks, Pinson etc... in the finals 2 years in a row with not the top recruiting class but with kids that worked hard and stayed together and became a team). I don't blame a kid for taking the money Coby White this past year … I will be happy when the nba takes the one and done away … love knowing who the kids are without having to learn all new names every year.

MEL

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-05-2020 09:47 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great post Mel as you nailed it. You got me all excited about R.J. Davis, can't wait to see him in play and wearing Blue and White.

--------------------

MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-05-2020 10:53 AM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CM … the only thing is RJ will be wearing the much nicer lighter blue !!! lol

MEL

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-05-2020 11:24 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ouch!

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com