TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Press Breaker?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Press Breaker?
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 02-22-2020 07:55 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Asking for a friend. Will there ever be a day that we have one?

[ 02-22-2020, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: WHO?UK ]

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 848 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-22-2020 07:57 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is horrible how badly we play against the press, and against inbound plays.

The keys to beating UK? Drive the ball, and play an aggressive press.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 02-22-2020 08:05 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Its crazy and I could be wrong but I do believe that inbounds plays and press breakers are two things that Cal doesn't believe in? After Sestina in the last game and now this ending... It might be time to put something in? I love Cal and there is a reason he makes 9 million a year and I don't but Im a little confused.

[ 02-22-2020, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: WHO?UK ]

--------------------
RLTW!

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 02-22-2020 08:10 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Cal has proven through the years he knows how to break a press. The issue is the players are not executing. Hagans can’t throw it on time to the open man off the the first hard cut. Then when they do the bigs and the opposite wing do not go where they should go. Or like the LSU game they make the inbounds pass to Sestina and Sestina panics and just starts throwing the ball to no one.

It’s basic execution that the players lack and they all seem to want to play at warp speed. Just be calm and make the right pass, play, and cut. It’s crazy. Other than Quickley I think the basketball IQ of this team is really low.

[ 02-22-2020, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 02-22-2020 08:24 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trey Ball:
I think Cal has proven through the years he knows how to break a press. The issue is the players are not executing. Hagans can’t throw it on time to the open man off the the first hard cut. Then when they do the bigs and the opposite wing do not go where they should go.

It’s basic execution that the players lack. It’s crazy. Other than Quickley I think the basketball IQ of this team is really low.

Trey I half agree and half don't. Yes Cal has proven time and time again that he knows exactly what he is doing with his success rate and consistent team turnover from year to year. ALSO I think you are 100% on point with this teams basketball IQ. I mean when Maxey was taking off for a drive and Cal had to call a time out to save him with 47 seconds... Even my 4 year ould was confused with Maxey's late game decision making process.

However, I would argue that he hasn't really had to coach through many presses because he has always had superior guards to beat it on talent. When I look at his press breaker I see two guards line up at the free throw line and they cut/circle to the ball. They usually catch it in the corner too. In any press breaker your goal is to get the ball to the middle and up the floor where you have numbers. This almost never happens for us.

[ 02-22-2020, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: WHO?UK ]

--------------------
RLTW!

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 02-22-2020 08:30 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WHO?UK:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Trey Ball:
[qb]ALSO I think you are 100% on point with this teams basketball IQ. I mean when Maxey was taking off for a drive and Cal had to call a time out to save him with 47 seconds... Even my 4 year ould was confused with Maxey's late game decision making process.

You can put Richards right in there when he got the Rebound before he threw it to Maxey. He was immediately trying to turn and go to the rim.

Then Maxey's inbound decision after the timeout, Hagans inbounds pass after the bucket, and then where was Hagans going after Florida gave them the ball back? Your decision at that time is to try to dribble through two defenders in the back court?

I've been amazed all year long at Hagans especially. Like you said, a 4 year old can see what they are doing is not right.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 02-22-2020 08:35 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by WHO?UK:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Trey Ball:
[qb]ALSO I think you are 100% on point with this teams basketball IQ. I mean when Maxey was taking off for a drive and Cal had to call a time out to save him with 47 seconds... Even my 4 year ould was confused with Maxey's late game decision making process.

You can put Richards right in there when he got the Rebound before he threw it to Maxey. He was immediately trying to turn and go to the rim.

Then Maxey's inbound decision after the timeout, Hagans inbounds pass after the bucket, and then where was Hagans going after Florida gave them the ball back? Your decision at that time is to try to dribble through two defenders in the back court?

I've been amazed all year long at Hagans especially. Like you said, a 4 year old can see what they are doing is not right.

COULD NOT AGREE MORE WITH ALL OF THIS. I honestly think its our basketball IQ that is keeping us from being great. Not the rebounding or foul trouble. If we made a handful of better decisions in every game, we would have probably blown a few teams out this year. Or not have lost to Evansville and Utah.

--------------------
RLTW!

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 02-22-2020 08:43 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
100% agree.

--------------------

redbone

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-22-2020 08:55 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with you Trey about them playing in panic mode a lot. And I keep asking why all they put in the back court to make the pas in is 2 people. I agree their basketball IQ must be way lower than most of Cal's teams.

I did see a couple times in the last quarter today where we stayed in front of the man driving the ball. That final 4 or 5 minutes I think we woke up on defense.

Here is some of my insights into a few of the players in today's game. Although I know the NBA will draft on potential, I think they could strike out on some of them.

Montgomery: He is no where ready to go to the NBA than I am. He thinks slow and moves even slower some times. I don't know what he has going for him except for height.

Richards: He is doing a lot more for us this year and we probably would have lost more games without him. If he goes he will be playing in the G league.

Hagans: He got his average today. That is turn overs. I counted 5 of them. He has a lot going for him but thinking fast is not one of them. He also could probably go to the G league next year.

Maxey: He has all the tools to go and play in the NBA but his decision making is very poor at times and he gets himself in trouble with fouls that should be avoided.

Quickly: Has gone from third guard on this team to a game saver when the pressure gets tough. If anyone can pull up one of my comments from before the season started he was the one I thought would be the top scorer for this team. It would surprise me if he doesn't make All SEC guard. Maybe even Honorable Mention for All American. Where Quickly goes so goes UK.

I am happy we found ways to win today but it didn't satisfy my feeling about how far we can make it in the NCAA. We have way too many close games because we can't play like we should and close out a team when we get them down. Number one cause?? SHOOTING!! Don't know what the 3pt percentage was but I doubt if it was very good.

Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 02-22-2020 09:21 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just watched Cal's post game press conference. Here is what he said about base line out of bounds:

"The baseline out of bounds is on me, so we have to come up with some stuff, I've used that for 30 years (pause)....it ain't working with this group, so now I have to come up with something different. Because if I am playing us, I'm putting a man on the ball and I am pressing."

LOL. Poor execution.

https://ukathletics.com/news/2020/2/22/mens-basketball-john-calipari-postgame-press-conference.aspx

[ 02-22-2020, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 02-23-2020 07:19 AM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I just watched Cal's post game press conference. Here is what he said about base line out of bounds:

"The baseline out of bounds is on me, so we have to come up with some stuff, I've used that for 30 years (pause)....it ain't working with this group, so now I have to come up with something different. Because if I am playing us, I'm putting a man on the ball and I am pressing."

LOL. Poor execution.

https://ukathletics.com/news/2020/2/22/mens-basketball-john-calipari-postga me-press-conference.aspx

This is where I think Cal has had superior guards for the majority of his career. It has been to easy for him to say get the ball in and go. Now don't get me wrong I believe he is more than capable of coming up with inbounds plays and press breakers. I just truly believe he doesn't waste his time with it.

--------------------
RLTW!

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-23-2020 08:08 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Generally I don't think our team struggles with a full court press as much as it struggles in bounding the ball. Once the ball is in bounded we break the press pretty easily.
Cal needs to spend about 30 minutes in practice every day with the starters in bounding and the rest of the team preventing the in bounds.

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123990 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-23-2020 08:59 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm with you MH. I told my brother during the LSU game "I love when teams press us." Our 3-guard lineup normally destroys the full-court press.
Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-23-2020 10:14 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MH< PC, I agree. It is inbounding the ball against the press that is the problem. We tend to throw it to the corner, where we get trapped. Once we get the ball in the middle of the court, we are golden.

On the other side of the court, we seem to have problems defending the opponent's inbound plays. We give up way too many easy buckets.

Once the ball in in play on either end of the court, I like our chances. In mathematics, there is a class of problems called "boundary value problems". Clearly, we cannot solve such problems. We need to send our team to brush up on their multi-variate calculus. [Eek!]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-23-2020 10:40 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good conversion on inbounds!

My take is when the ball is in our court the 99% effort is pass it to one of our 7 footers and get into the offense. Rarely is there an "OOB" play as we know it.

Press break - if our guards would just "screen" each others man they would be open and have the inbound man stay "behind" the ball as an outlet we would be ok. If no guards open have the big man come to the 3 point line and take the ball and then he immediately passes back to the inbound man who is staying behind the ball!

My High School teams does this press break and we also have 3/4 inbounds plays when ball is in our court.

I guess Coach has too many other things to teach which precludes oob plays..

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-23-2020 12:06 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed, Trey linked the video from Cal's postgame comments. In it, he said that he has used the same plays against the press for decades, but this team doesn't seem to get it.

That is pretty bad, IMO. Some point to a lack of basketball IQ, but I tend to think it is just poor ability to deal with high-pressure situations and make good decisions. Maybe that is the same thing, but once in our normal flow (offense or defense) we seem OK.

--------------------
Tiptree

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-23-2020 07:26 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip - looks like to me he has "no" plays - maybe just me..

[ 02-23-2020, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: ukcatfannfl ]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 02-24-2020 02:32 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If the play is cut and get open, then yeah, we run that play most of the time. I have seen him try to run a box set to break the press a couple times. We just didn't set a very good pick, or come off the pick right.
Posts: 5441 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-24-2020 07:42 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, normally you don't use your big man to help in bounds the ball, but when your big man shoots nearly 80% from the free throw line I figure it's a no brainer to use him help get the ball in!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123990 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-25-2020 07:24 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I could swear I remember having a play where two guards post up like they're going to receive the pass and then one of our bigs runs to the ball from half court for an easy inbound. I could swear we did this with Witljer, Townes, Derrek Willis and others.
Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-25-2020 03:12 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You did "who" Our Middle man (usually a big) is the outlet for the inbound pass or guard who receives the ball. he comes just beyond the half court to receive the ball and turns and face and if no one open up court passes back to a guard behind the ball...

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com