TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Team Rebound Discussion

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Team Rebound Discussion
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 02-20-2020 12:07 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought I would post this here since I didn't reply right away due to work today.

quote:
Originally posted by MountainMafia:
[QB]TB:
quote:
Not when the ball is blocked out of bounds. That goes down as an offensive team rebound for LSU. It happened 4 times.
Not doubting your word for a second TB, but honestly I've never heard that before. Player A attempts a shot, player B (the opponent) sends it to the 4th row, Player A's team get credit for an offensive rebound...Huh? What is the reasoning behind this rule?
100% true. I know it from my playing days and I no it from keeping official score for college games. How else do you award possession when a ball goes out of bounds? It's not a turnover, it's not a foul, it's not an alternate possession. It's called a team offensive rebound.

If you don't believe me go check the official box score from last night. You can go and look at the 3:11 mark left in the game. It will say this:

3:11 E.J. Montgomery Block
3:11 LSU Offensive Rebound

If you remember the play he swatted the ball from behind and out of bounds. Ball is awarded to LSU as an offensive rebound and no player is credited with the rebound in the box score.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/playbyplay?gameId=401166356

[ 02-20-2020, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 02-20-2020 04:51 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TB:
quote:

If you don't believe me go check the official box score from last night.

I believe you...just never heard it before, and still don't understand it. [Confused]

quote:
How else do you award possession when a ball goes out of bounds?
Wouldn't this work?

If team A was the last to touch the ball prior to it going out of bounds the ball is awarded to team B, and vise versa....no more, no less.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 02-20-2020 06:38 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I’ll be honest, I was a doubter. After much searching, I found out I was wrong. That’s twice now.

[ 02-20-2020, 06:42 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5403 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-20-2020 07:21 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As I said in the other thread, I learned about the team rebound while keeping stats in high school back in the 80's.

Not intending to derail this topic, but one other thing we were taught was that if a player passes the ball to a teammate who then gets fouled while shooting, and the shooter makes the first free throw, the original passer gets an assist. That's what I had to do in high school but i never knew if that's what really happens in college.

Posts: 10345 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 02-20-2020 08:19 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is the all I could find.

Official Basketball Statistics Rules.

Link

Section 3, paragraph (b).

A team rebound is credited to the team that is entitled to the ball for a throw-in if the ball has gone out of bounds after a missed goal but before there was player control. However, this does not include cases where the ball is out of bounds because it passes over the backboard or touches the supports or back of the backboard, the ceil-ing, or overhead equipment or supports, unless the ball was touched by a player after the missed goal but before the ball was out of bounds.

It seems like "team rebounds" is just a way to award possession rather than actually rebounding.

[ 02-20-2020, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: MountainMafia ]

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 02-20-2020 11:51 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
Not intending to derail this topic, but one other thing we were taught was that if a player passes the ball to a teammate who then gets fouled while shooting, and the shooter makes the first free throw, the original passer gets an assist. That's what I had to do in high school but i never knew if that's what really happens in college.

I'm not aware of that happening in College, but I have seen it in high school. In college you can actually award an assist to a player who did not directly make the pass to the person who scored. It is extremely rare and I have only seen it awarded once in my lifetime. If Player A makes some phenomenal crazy pass to Player B and Player B dumps the ball off to Player C, the official scorer has the ability to give Player A the assist if he believes player A's pass is what led to player C scoring.

I saw them award it to Jason Williams at Florida back in the day. That is the only time I have seen it happen.

The official scorer can also award an assist if they make a pass to a wide open player for a layup and player misses, rebounds with no one around, and puts it back in for the score immediately. Think uncontested fast break where Player A makes a great pass ahead to player B standing alone at the other end of the court. Still very rare, but I have seen it happen a few times.

[ 02-20-2020, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 02-20-2020 11:52 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MountainMafia:

quote:
How else do you award possession when a ball goes out of bounds?
Wouldn't this work?

If team A was the last to touch the ball prior to it going out of bounds the ball is awarded to team B, and vise versa....no more, no less.

Nope. There always has to be a documented reason for a team to have possession in the official scorebook. That is why it goes down as a team rebound.

[ 02-20-2020, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 02-20-2020 12:31 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TB:
quote:
There always has to be a documented reason for a team to have possession in the official scorebook.
Honestly TB, I'm not trying to be contrary or start a big debate about team rebounds.

I guess my confusion is:

Why isn't this a documented reason for a team to have possession in the official scorebook?

Whatever...no big deal...have a good one TB. [Smile]

--------------------

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 02-20-2020 02:00 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is no debate. I'm just sharing the rules on how to Officially Score a College Basketball game. They have been around for a long time.

--------------------

redbone

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com