TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Not very great this year

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not very great this year
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-15-2020 06:40 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With only 6 games left in the SEC schedule I have to admit this is not near one of our best teams. We can't face a good team like Duke and play like we did today. The shooting has been iffy all year but this was almost the worst shooting game we've had in a long time. Now we have to go to LSU on Tuesday and play for all the marbles after a game like this. Cal better pull a rabbit out of his hat and these guys better get relaxed and start hitting some shots or the fat lady sings on Tuesday.
Posts: 14151 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-15-2020 08:11 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks as though Auburn is having a shooting day like we did today. With just over 5 minutes to play in the game, they trail Mizzu 74-61. They've hit 1-15 from three point land! Mo has a 11-13 record on the season.

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123978 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-15-2020 08:21 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
AU shooting 6% from three point land with 1:30 to play

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-15-2020 08:22 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Auburn down 12 with 1:15 to play they have the ball and 1 timeout left

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-15-2020 08:28 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
After tonight, KY will sit alone atop the SEC conference as AUburn will go down in defeat to a 11-13 MO team 85-73

LSU and Auburn both have now lost 3 conference games to sit 1 game behind Kentucky for the conf lead!

--------------------

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-15-2020 08:28 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mizzou wins 85-73. Doesn't that put UK in first place?

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36269 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-15-2020 08:29 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OK MH, you are quicker on the draw than I am!

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36269 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 02-15-2020 08:44 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ain’t life grand? At least for me. I dislike Pearl even more than Rat Face.
Posts: 5398 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 02-15-2020 10:04 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The upcoming LSU game is the most critical game yet because of the head-to-head tie breaker. With a loss already to Auburn, a loss to LSU would virtually eliminate UK from the SEC regular season championship.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-15-2020 11:08 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You can bet LSU will be pumped up Tuesday night, we are going to have take it to them from the start and never look back.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 02-16-2020 07:32 AM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yet again, as with so many UK teams, we play down to the level of our competition then eek out a win over a team we should have beaten by double digits. As was mentioned, it's OK to survive games like this in conference play but once the big dance arrives, we'll be bounced in the first round if we can't put an opponent away! Why is it such a challenge for our teams, with clearly more talented players, to get ahead of these other teams and win going away? My goodness, we should be clearing our bench vs some of these opponents but instead we're sweating bullets! C'mon!

--------------------
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian!” Henry Ford

Posts: 5563 | From: Eddyville at heart, Chicago in life | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 02-16-2020 07:43 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With the switching defense we run teams will always be in the games. We give up to many layups because teams find a player who can't guard a guard like Ej, or Nate and they exploit them. Or a guard who can't guard a Big and do the same. Mississippi ran the zone defense to perfection. I believe we would have at least two more championships in the last ten years if coach Cal wasn't so stubborn about this.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9779 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 02-16-2020 08:41 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Amen rlt4uk. I 100% agree with everything you said. I don't understand why we switch so much, especially when it is not even necessary. It's not like we switch when there is just an amazing pick set, it's even when it should be easy for guys to stay with their man. To me it's lazy defense. Much easier to switch than to stay. We weren't doing it at the beginning of the year. It seems like we started doing it again about 7 games ago. That's also why we are giving up more offensive rebounds because we end up with a guard on a post down low. If it's the players wanting to do it then Cal needs to get them to stop. It is one of the main things that has frustrated me over the years. And yes, that along with a couple other things, has cost us at least 1, if not 2 championships.
Posts: 5436 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-16-2020 09:24 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think this years team is as good as any team in the country, outside of Baylor. Our key to a long run in the tourney will be staying out of foul trouble. If we can do that, you just never know what can happen.
Posts: 10340 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 02-16-2020 10:17 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PC:
quote:
I think this years team is as good as any team in the country, outside of Baylor.
I agree....on a given day. Lack of consistency is the only reason this team is not in the top 5...and the reason they could get bounced early in the tourney.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-16-2020 10:58 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lack of consistency is the reason the entire top-25 gets reshuffled every week. Just about every other team is just as inconsistent as Kentucky.

Our inconsistency is basically the 3-point shot. In games where we're not hitting them, we seem to just keep on shooting them. In our 5 losses we're 24-88 on 3-pointers.

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-16-2020 11:24 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Paul we shot 27% from the 3 point line in those 5 losses.

[ 02-16-2020, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-16-2020 11:57 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And that won't get things done against good teams. We either need to shoot better or stop shooting from the outside altogether.
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 02-16-2020 02:39 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PC:
quote:
Lack of consistency is the reason the entire top-25 gets reshuffled every week.
I thought that was the point I was making?

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-16-2020 08:28 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MM, you did make that point...

--------------------

ALA_KAT2
Player
Member # 1559

posted 02-16-2020 09:35 PM      Profile for ALA_KAT2   Email ALA_KAT2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
rlt4uk and ukman, good points, I agree.

--------------------
Adair CHS 1966/USAF/WKU/AT&T

GO BIG BLUE!

Posts: 4046 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-18-2020 09:06 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MountainMafia:
PC:
quote:
Lack of consistency is the reason the entire top-25 gets reshuffled every week.
I thought that was the point I was making?
Sorry, MM. I read that is though you were just talking about Kentucky.

If we can win tonight it will be huge. I don't see how a top-10 team can be projected as a 4 seed. The NCAA net rankings has us #24 - what a joke. There's no way in hell there are 23 teams in college basketball that are better than Kentucky. Heck, we're 3-1 against teams they have ranked higher than us!!!

[ 02-18-2020, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: PaulCat ]

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 02-18-2020 12:30 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PC:
quote:
Sorry, MM. I read that is though you were just talking about Kentucky.
No worries....we on the same team. [Smile]

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-18-2020 03:04 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's what makes this the best sports posting board going. We are all on the same page and respect each other. Gotta love it!!!!!

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com