TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Alabama game observations

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alabama game observations
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-11-2020 02:18 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tough win for the Cats. 'Bama has a good team, but they certainly hit a cold streak shooting the 3-pointer. But 'Bama isn't my focus... the progress of the Cats is what I am looking at. Here is what I see:

(1) Sestina has become a net negative. I was really high on his game early in the season, but he has stopped contributing offensively any more, and he is a huge defensive liability. We are down to Richards and Montgomery (which isn't a bad thing!), with Brooks and Sestina both being a real step-down when they come in. But Brooks' trajectory is upward, while Sestina is fading.

(2) Maxey+Quickly+Hagans is the best backcourt in the country, on both ends of the court.

(3) Richards has decided he is a mid-range shooter. He CAN shoot the 10' shot, but he is content to shoot 15' jumpers even when the path to the basket is wide open. He needs a good talkin' to by Cal, because he is a huge plus for us when he stays in the paint.

(4) I said it earlier, but the Richards+Montgomery duo is really good. A little more seasoning, and we might have a legit twin-tower combo. Those two, plus Maxey+Quickly+Hagans is an awesome starting five.

(5) Our problem is the rest of team is a big drop-off. We really need Brooks and Whitney to figure things out, and we cure could use some help from Zuzang and Allen.

All in all, this team continues to jell and mature. Camp Cal is showing its effects -- Maxey missed two dunks today, probably from tired legs from the practices. But it is also showing in steadily improving play on both ends of the court. In 3 weeks, we should see a much more polished product.

[ 01-11-2020, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-11-2020 02:19 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, wow. The title is supposed to be "Alabama game observations".

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 01-11-2020 04:27 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pretty sure if both teams shoot their 3’s as they usually do, we get our arse’s handed to us.

For those less refined than myself, arse and ass are the same thing only arse is much more intellectual.

[ 01-12-2020, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5411 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-11-2020 06:03 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess maybe I'm watching a different team.

The only thing impressive today was Quickley's three point shooting and he should have been called for running out of bounds on the baseline 4 additional times, not just the one time in the first half.

Too many unforced turnovers, too many easy baskets given to up to Alabama, too many offensive rebounds given to Alabama, and I thought UK got away with a ton of fouls today. I didn't really think UK's three point defense was good today. Alabama went 1-12 on what I would have considered wide open looks. They actually made more contested threes then open threes.

The fact of the matter is Alabama is just not a very good team and the SEC in general is not very good this year. It's the only thing keeping UK's record a float. The other good news is it seems as though most teams in College Basketball this year have forgotten how to play the game. My goodness the play has been atrocious this year in my opinion.

P.S. - I changed the title of the Topic to "game".

[ 01-11-2020, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 01-11-2020 06:07 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We defended the three really well today, but in doing so we gave up way to many offensive rebounds, which kept Bama in the game.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9800 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-11-2020 08:13 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What I saw. Quickly is by far our best shooter and his draft status should be pretty high now.

Maxey is the best driver we have. He's fearless. He doesn't look for open men on his drive very often.

Hagans plays at a steady pace for most games.

Sestina does not always have his shot falling but today he made a couple and he did some rebounding also.

Montgomery seems to have a few good plays in most games but he is at least a 3 year player.

Richards seems to have his fouling under control by not trying to block everything underneath.

Brooks seemed to have an off game today and Whitney got more chances today but his shots were still off.

Juzang seems to be lost at the end of the bench these last couple of games. That may be because Cal is trying to get Whitney out of his funk.

Overall we are still living on the edge. If our shots don't fall we could be in big trouble.

Posts: 14176 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-11-2020 08:42 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I only saw the second half and was not impressed with our overall play. We should beat Alabama by 10 easy, and the way Bama shot the three today it should have been 15+. We still have a long way to go but hopefully we will get there.
Posts: 5441 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 01-11-2020 09:04 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sestina does not always have his shot falling but today he made a couple and he did some rebounding also.
I like him but defensively he kills us. Can’t keep his man in front of him. He did have a couple of blocks today but they were from behind if I remember correctly.
Posts: 5411 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 01-12-2020 07:17 AM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Too much offside help defense trying to block every shot caused us to give up way too many offensive rebounds. Too careless with the ball caused unnecessary turnovers. Hot shooting by Quickley secured this one. We’ve got to get more production from Brooks, Whitney, and Montgomery. Sestina is an outside shooting threat, but I’m not sure he could guard me.

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-13-2020 11:03 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the Alabama game we turned it over 14 times to their 8. We average 12.5 turn-overs per game which is 85th in Division 1. The Cats have work to do if they want to become a top contender for the National Championship.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com