TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Maxey looks like 'borderline top-5' pick at Georgia

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Maxey looks like 'borderline top-5' pick at Georgia
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-09-2020 12:49 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the Wildcats' first true road game of the season, against a Georgia team fresh off a top-10 win at Memphis and potential No. 1 overall pick Anthony Edwards, Maxey finished with team-highs in points (17), rebounds (7), assists (8) and blocks (4) while making 7 of 15 shots and playing 39 of a possible 40 minutes in Kentucky's 78-69 win over the Bulldogs in Athens.

Afterward, ESPN NBA Draft analyst Mike Schmitz said that Maxey looked the part of a "borderline top-5 prospect in this draft."

"I love his fight, his determination, his spirit. He has a joy for the game and he does it on both ends. He had four blocks tonight. This guy is 6-foot-3 with a 6-6 wingspan. He defends multiple positions," Schmitz told Neil Everett on SportsCenter.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186355 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 01-09-2020 01:59 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If he can be more consistent, he's definitely a top 5 pick.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-09-2020 04:39 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's his big problem now. It looked like in the second half that he just decided he was going to drive the ball like Cal is telling him. He either gets a basket or gets fouled in 95% of the cases.
Posts: 14114 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-10-2020 07:24 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Compared to all college players he may look like a top-5 pick. But that doesn't always transfer over into a top NBA talent. Look at Monk and Knox. They were top-10 draft picks who are nothing more than bench warmers. That what sucks about the NBA drafting on potential. I don't think Maxey shoots the ball well enough to become top NBA talent.
Posts: 10321 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-10-2020 12:47 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I will have to say that the NBA has a LOT more information about who they end up drafting than I do when I hire someone for an IT position.

The NBA gets to observe players in real-life situations. They get detailed physical metrics on each player. And remember, the NBA may be late to the data analytics game (baseball pioneered it with "money ball" decades ago), but they are catching up fast. They can tell which set of metrics will lead to success, and draft accordingly.

If someone flames out and becomes a bench-warmer in the NBA, it isn't because they cannot play, it has to be because they lack the intangibles to compete. Malik Monk and Knox both never showed much in the way of intangibles, but Maxey sure does.

I say the odds are that he will be an NBA star.

quote:
"I love his fight, his determination, his spirit. He has a joy for the game and he does it on both ends."

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13591 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 01-11-2020 09:29 AM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn't realize he was only 6'-3". He plays taller than that.
Posts: 1531 | From: Lexington, Ky | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-11-2020 10:47 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He shows how much fight and determination can make up for size.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186355 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-11-2020 12:36 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He is 6'3" tall with a huge wingspan. That extra reach, plus incredible hops enables him to play "taller".

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13591 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 01-11-2020 06:12 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He was really careless with the ball today. To many turnovers.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com