TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Some things never change

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some things never change
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-18-2019 09:28 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How is it that every time some little known team takes the Rupp floor we have a player step out on our floor and have a career night when they normally couldn't buy a basket.

Washington had hit 3-12 from 3 point land in their previous 3 games. Tonight he goes 5-12 in a single game! SOme of those three's were from 30+ feet!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123855 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 11-18-2019 10:12 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's the switching defense, cal refuses to play a zone, therefore the other team is aalways going to have player's wide open. No hand in their face, just like shooting in pre game warmups, absolutely no pressure on them.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 11-19-2019 06:24 AM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A zone defense is not to stop outside shooting. It’s to prevent drives to the basket. Let’s be honest, 30 footers are hard to guard. Some of those threes were 4 steps behind the three point line. There aren’t too many defenses that can stop that. I just don’t understand why our shooters can’t hit a three.

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 11-19-2019 07:17 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I said last week that loss was just a bump in the road. I have fears now that may have been a pot hole and will require more extensive repairs.

[ 11-19-2019, 07:17 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 11-19-2019 08:56 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree it's going to require a larger effort both on the coaches and the players. As you know I've said "good shooting in high school don't always relate to good shooting in college". I hope they will get settled in soon and play like they are expected to. Right now it's the returnees that are carrying us. All of the freshmen are like deer in the headlights.
Posts: 14111 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 11-19-2019 09:28 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rarely do the TV announcers give any real insight, but last night one of them kept saying things that made sense. In order of signficance:

1> The post player (Nick) and point guard (Ashton) must consistently finish at the rim to have a great offensive team. Big Problem

2> Kentucky makes way too many turnovers, especially for games with relatively low scores Big Problem

3> Kentucky has no offensive identity. They look like a bunch of individuals Problem

4> Kentucky's defense should be at the elite level, but they are making too many mistakes Problem

Last night's game showed how short our bench is. With both Quickly and EJ out, we had no help at guard or forward. We brought in our wings (who played well enough), but they are neither great at being guards nor effective at being post players.

But all four comments above rang true. The "big problems" are going to be hard to fix...they involve intrinsic issues with our skills (or lack thereof). Nick and Ashton have been missing bunny shots for as long as they have been players. Turnovers might improve, since Ashton usually has a great assist/TO ratio; Maxey, however, seems to be a turnover machine.

The "problems" should work themselves out as the team matures under Cal's coaching.

We will be up and down through early January, with some big victories (see "Michigan State") and some painful losses (see "Evansville"). I hate to say it, but this team might be one of those that gets up for big games, but takes other games off.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13590 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 11-19-2019 02:46 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just my opinion, but I think UK gave effort on both ends of the court last night. The facts are this is just not a very talented roster and it is a roster full of players that are not great shooters.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11513 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 11-19-2019 02:49 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fully agree. It was a solid effort, but this team is very, very raw and not yet playing as a unit. I am still not convinced we lack talent, but we sure need to figure out how to play together better.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 11-19-2019 05:13 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is just a typical freshman-heavy Calipari team. When you rely so much on freshman, mediocrity is bound to happen. I just find it hard to get too excited about Kentucky basketball anymore.
Posts: 10319 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 11-19-2019 08:28 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But this is not a freshmen heavy team. We have sophomores, junior, and a senior that all have experience. Based on that I expected alot better showing in these last two games. We definitely are not playing together at all. It will take some time for them to come together, but they have a long way to go. Hopefully they can get there sooner than later.
Posts: 5395 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 11-19-2019 11:38 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
True, we do have five non-freshman who will get a lot of minutes, and right now they're playing like freshman. But our freshman are seeing a lot of minutes, especially during the last game with Quickley and Montgomery being out.
Posts: 10319 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 11-20-2019 09:30 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Another factor is that Sestina, our graduate transfer, is a 'stretch 4'. Travis was a pure post player, whose primary attributes were his broad shoulders and interior presence. His role was easier to adapt to. But Sestina has to learn more of the nuances of the offense, setting perimeter screens, cutting and setting up for shots, and then crashing the boards or hustling back on defense. More to learn, more to fail at. Travis didn't look consistently good until February last year, at which time he became a key to our success. I suspect Sestina will have a similar journey.

--------------------
Tiptree

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com