TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Terrible play tonight

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Terrible play tonight
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 11-12-2019 08:36 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very sloppy with the ball. No understanding of where their shots should come from, no understanding of what is a good shot and what is not. Continue to miss shots at the rim (Haggans especially awful). Terrible on ball defense and defensive rotations.

Just an overall awful performance against a team that will be lucky to win 14 games this year. That is how you lose.

[ 11-12-2019, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11542 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 11-12-2019 08:57 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Add to the list missing free throws and not blocking out and giving up two offensive rebounds for buckets in the last two minutes.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 11-12-2019 09:14 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would not be surprised to see this UK team end up the season not ranked. They have zero post presence and they lack shooters. They are going to have to find a way to get to the line 40 times a game to win in my opinion.

You could see it against MSU. They got a little lucky with MSU missing some open shots and Maxey making a lot of difficult shots down the stretch of that game.

--------------------

redbone

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 11-12-2019 09:46 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Before the game I was going to post that even if we win all 9 of these non conference games that Duke would pass us for #1, but I won't have to since they made sure Duke would pass us very soon. As I mentioned before, we always get some good shooters out of high school but they have trouble continuing that when they get here. They learned a lesson in humility tonight. They didn't respect Evansville and they got what they asked for. I guess this will be a bad season for me as well. I have predicted only 1 of 3 games correctly so far. We also have that dreaded problem with making those 2 foot shots. If we had made half of those we missed it would have been enough for a victory. Good luck Cal. Hope you can get them on the same page and working together before we lose too many games. [Frown]
Posts: 14132 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 11-12-2019 10:11 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Evansville played team ball and executed very well. We looked like a bunch of guys trying out for the NBA.
Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ALA_KAT2
Player
Member # 1559

posted 11-12-2019 10:44 PM      Profile for ALA_KAT2   Email ALA_KAT2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We got schooled by older, experienced players who were better coached and knew where to be on the court. They continually beat us off the dribble, and that led to layups or kick-outs to wide open 3-pt looks.
We will hopefully be much better come March, but no guarantees unless we learn how to play as a team instead of a collection of young guys trying to go1on 1. Looks like the win against MSU was fool’s gold.
(and Hagans still cannot hit shots)

--------------------
Adair CHS 1966/USAF/WKU/AT&T

GO BIG BLUE!

Posts: 4046 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 11-12-2019 11:58 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just my opinion, but this is probably Cal's weakest roster since the 2012-13 season. Maxey is the only NBA capable player on the roster.

Hagans cannot shoot and probably even more important, he cannot finish at the rim.

Richards can only dunk, but he can only dunk with no one around him. Put some people in his way, even shorter players, and he cannot finish. There is no one on the roster that can make a confident move in the post to get consistent buckets when needed. When Cal called the play for him I said to myself before it happened, "Another empty trip".

Quickly and Sestina could be nice role players, but they are not capable enough to be on the floor for 30 minutes. Those two ideally would be 10 to 15 minute a night guys.

Whitney has some promise, but he is raw and doesn't understand spacing and shot selection.

Brooks is over matched at this level in my opinion. I haven't seen enough of Juzang, but what I have seen is he can't guard his shadow, but he probably has the best shooting stroke on the team.

The one positive is Hagans, Maxey, and Quickley are all above average perimeter defenders. So hopefully this team can generate some steals for early offense. They are going to have to win games by keeping the opponent between 55 to 65 points and UK will have to get somewhere around 25 to 30 points a night from the foul line.

[ 11-13-2019, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 11-13-2019 06:05 AM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No inside game will haunt this team. Nick may be a great young man, but he is a below average 6’ 11” big man. When the guards aren’t playing well this team will struggle. Out-hustled, out-coached, and out-played. Worst loss I can remember. The Cats seemed disinterested the entire game. This one will hurt for a while.

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 11-13-2019 07:28 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EnterpriseCat:
Out-hustled, out-coached, and out-played.

100% accurate. We have far more talent than Evansville. We simply got out-coached and out-played.
WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 11-13-2019 07:43 AM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
Evansville played team ball and executed very well. We looked like a bunch of guys trying out for the NBA.

Exactly.
Posts: 1531 | From: Lexington, Ky | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 11-13-2019 10:08 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My main question is why can't we run an offense like Evansville did. Our offense is, and has been, terrible. It is so reliant on guys just making plays, versus, running something that puts players in positions for the team to get great shots. I hate our offense, and I wish Cal would throw the circle offense in the trash where it belongs. This loss was flat out embarrassing. Especially since this is not a super young team like we have had in the past. We have sophomores, a junior, and a senior. Absolutely unacceptable. One of the most embarrassing losses that I can ever remember.
Posts: 5424 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 11-13-2019 10:23 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does Gardner Webb ring a bell?

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36266 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-13-2019 11:35 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
84-68 ouch!

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 11-13-2019 01:27 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Against Gardner Webb we were unranked and had players such as Mark Coury and Michael Porter. I believe this loss to Evansville is a lot worse.
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 11-13-2019 08:21 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That team was not very good, and certainly did not have the talent of this team. And Cal definitely can't blame this on being a young team. The team looked awful, and the execution looked awful.
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 11-13-2019 09:08 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is November. Did any of you expect a Cal team to be anything but wildly erratic in November?

At this point, there is no telling what this team will become. We could end up NCAA champions, or we could fail to make the tournament. Trying to predict the end-state from November or December games is a Fool's errand.

Ask me at the end of January about this team. By then, we should all know the general trajectory.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13597 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 11-13-2019 09:43 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stolen from another site. Cal on Twitter, I think.

Just left the office a little bit ago. Losing any game stinks but losing at home is even worse. As always, we grieve for 24 hours and then we move on. The two areas I’ve said for weeks that this team needs to improve on is TOUGHNESS and offensive cohesion. Adversity has hit, but it’s also an opportunity to grow. We have work to do but I’m confident about this group of great kids. This will get us more focused and more together. #BBN, this is always a journey so enjoy the ride and support these kids. Let’s do this together!!!

National contenders get upset every year during the regular season by nobodies. I’m not saying we’re going to win it all, but I think it’s too early to give up on this season. IMO, this is just a bump in the road.

[ 11-14-2019, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 11-14-2019 06:51 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip, I expected this team to never lose to a team like Evansville, especially since we are NOT a super young team. Too much experience to have a loss like that. There is still plenty of time for them to be a final four team, but this loss is as embarrassing as it gets.
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 11-15-2019 12:13 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tiptree,

I would agree with that rational most years because you can see the talent of the players and know they will eventually put it together. I just don’t see a lot of talent on this UK roster.

You have one talented freshman, one freshman with some potential, and then you have a bunch of role players. We know what Hagans, Richards, and EJ bring to the table and it is not much. Sestina is strictly a pick and pop guy in my opinion. He is not a back to the basket low post threat nor can he create off the bounce. He is fairly limited on offense and on defense.

I hope I am wrong. I’ll gladly come and pull this post up and eat crow if they end up being better than I think.

--------------------

redbone

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 11-15-2019 04:34 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not sure what to make of the potential of this team.

Our three starting guards are pretty darn good on defense, and I hope will get better on offense as well. Quickly can't carry the offensive load alone. We need Maxey to become more consistent, and we need Hagans to hit his freakin' layups.

We lack a traditional post player in the mold of KAT, Davis, Boogie, et al. We have two forwards (Sestina and EJ) and one post player with some limitations (Nick). Not are we low on numbers up front, we have limited offensive options. Sestina is the best offensive big we have right now, but I still have hope for EJ and even Nick. If we can get 8-10 points and 6-8 boards from each big spot, we will be doing OK. We can win without a big if we get a decent offensive scheme in place; this team really looks made-to-order for the dribble-drive.

Our two wings are the real mystery. How will they fit in? Will they start or just come off the bench? Neither of them are capable of playing down low, so where and when will they play?

I dunno. I look forward to seeing this team develop. I gave some hints to Handy to pass along to Cal, maybe that will help.

BTW, Evansville did what a lot of teams have done to Cal's teams over the years -- they drove the ball to the rim with great success. Somehow, Cal's teams (especially in November) just can't stop penetrating guards. Gotta hand it to Walter McCarty -- he know how to beat us.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13597 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com