TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Are the Cats rough enough?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are the Cats rough enough?
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-28-2019 03:31 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is this team rough enough?

“We got outrebounded,” pointed out UK Coach John Calipari, and in fact the taller Wildcats were beaten 45-39 on the boards by the NAIA national champions. Georgetown grabbed 16 offensive boards. Kentucky collected six. “Most of it was just scrappiness.”

“We missed a bunch of shots,” Georgetown Coach Chris Briggs said. “… I thought they played tough. I was impressed with their defensive intensity and toughness.”

Briggs meant Kentucky’s toughness, yet Calipari was not so sure.

“The physicalness and toughness we’re going to have to play with, Georgetown was physical,” Calipari said. “They were going to throw a body on you. They were not gonna just let you go get balls.”

“EJ’s a better player, but you’re going to have play rougher,” Calipari said. “I think Georgetown came in with one thing, rough him up. Be physical. Bang him. Push him. And you’ve got to know, that’s just about every game you’re going to play. So you’ve got to be able to play through and still make shots. And I think he will.”

It will surely be the way the first “real” game is played. That’s Nov. 5 in New York’s Madison Square Garden against No. 1-ranked Michigan State. The Spartans live to play physical basketball. Cal knows Tom Izzo. We all know Tom Izzo. And Michigan State will play a rough, tumble, defensive-minded game that night at MSG.

Can Kentucky match that toughness? We shall see. The Cats have a second exhibition game, Friday night against Kentucky State, to try and develop a more physical nature. That’s not much time, of course. Not only does the start of the college basketball exhibition season seem earlier every year, so does the real thing.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 10-29-2019 06:14 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess we'll find out right out of the box!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 10-29-2019 02:08 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rebounding is mental, you either have it or you don't. Guy's today want to do the flashy stuff, get their face on TV. You don't have to be seven foot tall to rebound, if you have the fundamentals to block out you can rebound. This is my one pet peeve every year, is I don't know if it's not being coached or they're just not doing it.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9797 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 10-29-2019 09:17 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn't get to see the game, but was curious as to why Richards only played 14 minutes. The least on the team. By box score numbers he e to be doing pretty well. 3-3, 5 rebounds, 1 block in 14 minutes. Meanwhile EJ was 2-7, 5 rebounds, 3 blocks in 23 minutes. I'm just hoping Richards gets a shot to show what he can do. Hope he's not in the doghouse already. I think we will need him, and I think he could be, a 10-14 ppg and 8-9 rebounds, 2 blocks per game; if he gets about 20-25 minutes per game. That would be a big help.
Posts: 5441 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 10-29-2019 09:53 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nick,has a ankle sprain.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9797 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-30-2019 12:12 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
UKman, your Richards numbers look do-able.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 11-01-2019 11:13 AM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukman:
I didn't get to see the game, but was curious as to why Richards only played 14 minutes. The least on the team. By box score numbers he e to be doing pretty well. 3-3, 5 rebounds, 1 block in 14 minutes. Meanwhile EJ was 2-7, 5 rebounds, 3 blocks in 23 minutes. I'm just hoping Richards gets a shot to show what he can do. Hope he's not in the doghouse already. I think we will need him, and I think he could be, a 10-14 ppg and 8-9 rebounds, 2 blocks per game; if he gets about 20-25 minutes per game. That would be a big help.

Richards was injured or he would have played a lot more.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2259 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-02-2019 06:21 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess w're going to find out Tues. nite just how rough and tough these boys are.

MSU will push them around down low and they usually lead the country in rebounding. We're going to have to be on our game if we want to stay with them!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com