TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » pay for play

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pay for play
country cat
Player
Member # 1774

posted 10-06-2019 05:48 PM      Profile for country cat   Email country cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
how will the ncaa deal with California school now that they have a law passed saying they can

--------------------
american by birth-----wildcat by choice --- if you not the lead cat---your view never changes

Posts: 1023 | From: breathitt co-----lost in eldorado | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 10-06-2019 07:12 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Eliminate all CA schools from NCAA championship activities???? [Razz] [Razz]
Posts: 14169 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 10-07-2019 11:15 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am pretty sure it doesn't go in effect till 2023.

MEL

Posts: 2795 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 10-08-2019 12:33 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From what little I know about this, I believe the law allows players to be paid for use of their name and likeness. I don't have a problem with that. EA Sports can just use regular looking computer people in their NCAA football and basketball games. It's that simple.

Don't call a student-athlete an amateur and then allow big companies to make money off of them like they're professionals.

Posts: 10346 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 10-09-2019 12:28 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This isn't very different from how the different laws regarding marijuana are handled. The Feds have just chosen not to enforce their own laws for now, but that could change at any moment.

The NCAA could simply look the other way, but that would be out of character. I suspect they will enforce their own rules, and hold the schools in violation, regardless of the California law. The NCAA is a voluntary, private organization, and schools can either choose to abide by the rules and remain a member, or leave. Maybe this will cause California schools to exit the NCAA? Who knows. Frankly, I think that might be the kick-in-the-pants that the NCAA needs to actually reform itself.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 10-10-2019 11:45 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
EA Sports can just use regular looking computer people in their NCAA football and basketball games. It's that simple.

EA Sports stopped producing NCAA games in 2013 or 2014 because the NCAA said they could no longer use NCAA name and logos.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com