TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Ralph Hacker says Cal is “shortchanging” fans with home schedule

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ralph Hacker says Cal is “shortchanging” fans with home schedule
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-21-2019 06:08 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kentucky Wildcats broadcasting legend Ralph Hacker was inducted into the Kentucky Sports Hall of Fame on Monday night.

However, before his induction, Hacker made some snarky comments towards the current state of the men’s basketball program and John Calipari in particular on the Terry Meiners Show.

For some context, a few weeks ago, former Cat Kyle Macy took a shot at Calipari, specifically saying that colleges shouldn’t be used as a “training grounds” for future professional athletes. He also mentioned the weak home schedule, among other things, but his comments came off in a cynical way.

Back to Hacker, he started by complimenting Coach Cal on developing a system that brings elite talent to Lexington and gives Kentucky a competitive advantage and a shot at multiple titles.

But he went on to say the system isn’t working because players are leaving after a single season, which is why he hasn’t won multiple championships. And that’s when Hacker came to Macy’s defense.

“I know Kyle Macy took a lot of heat for what he said. But I [told him] ‘I think you’re right.’ I said they’re shortchanging the fans by doing what we’re doing now,” he said. “Even though we’re proud of the University of Kentucky basketball team, we cheer for them, pay for the tickets, all that stuff, but in the end, you’re not doing right by the fans.”

Link

[ 08-21-2019, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 08-21-2019 09:27 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I certainly don’t feel shortchanged. I like knowing that we will have enough talent to at least be in the hunt for a NC every year. Give me one and dones and a few KY boys mixed in and I’m satisfied. People don’t realize how hard it is to win a NC. Go Big Blue and go Cal!

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 08-21-2019 09:46 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am aware of the turd running his yap. He is no Cawood. Ledford wouldnt poor mouth the program. Furthermore, Hacker doesnt deserve any kind if award for being Ledfor's wing man. He and Macy can go swing on each others jocks. Oh, I forgot, Hacker never played D1 ball nor was a he a failed coach Should we even be talking about his opinion?
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 08-22-2019 06:22 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To be fair, Hacker came on the KSR radio show earlier in the week and clarified that he thought the schedule was short changing the fans. Talking about all of the top games being played away from Rupp. He gave the example of having to spend upwards of $2000 to see KY play in New York!

Don't get me wrong though. I'm no Hacker apologist. His speaking voice is the only reason he had the job for as long as he did!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123964 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 08-22-2019 09:01 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with Hacker.

Outside of the SEC there are basically no quality games at Rupp. Kansas/UNC/Indiana - those are all gone. The only thing left is Louisville. Does anyone think season ticket holders are really excited that they get to see Georgia Tech this year? Other than UL, that's the best game on the schedule.

Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 08-22-2019 09:57 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have never liked that cupcake schedule of games at home. That schedule is why we will always win at least twenty games under Coach Cal. At least ten of the games are no brainers. I have no problem with the one and dones but seriously doubt we will ever win a National Championship relying solely on them to bring it back to Lexington. The 2012 Championship may not have been our but for the one Senior, Ky kid named Darius Miller.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 08-22-2019 12:08 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't agree with the Hack's opinion.

The real problem is that he is running his mouth to the press. He can have his opinion and tell his friends, if he has any.

Speaking ill of the coach or the program to the press is bad form. I don't care if anyone else agrees with him or not. There is a time and a place for everything. Unless there is a huge scandal or the the team quits winning, there is no justification for Hacker or anyone formerly associated with the program in any way, to run their their mouths against the program. That is just wrong and it is petty.

For those of you who agree that Hacker should have said what he did in a press type forum, you are wrong as well.

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 08-22-2019 11:11 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I fully support Hacker and Macy, and feel they speak for me and many fans. There is a lot of gray areas here, but I cannot see how you can deny what they say! Yes, Cal wins a lot of games, and gets some very talented young men to come play. But Cal has shifted the emphasis from program/fan centric to player centric. Do you really believe most of those guys come here for the chance to represent this university? I don't. I think they come here for what almost all of them say they come for -- to learn from Cal and to get on to the NBA. Just a stopover from the AAU to the NBA.

Making a few studs into millionaires is great, but what of the millions of fans who really DO get shortchanged with crummy home schedules and talented, young teams that falter against solid, seasoned veterans? The University be damned, fans be damned, Cal wants to help a few families get fabulously rich.

Boom, your blind loyalty to leadership and hatred of dissenting opinions is obviously important to you. But I have my own opinions, and you have no right to declare my point of view "wrong" as if you are the arbiter of all truth. Saying that Macy and Hacker are "unqualified" to speak their mind is ridiculous. Then we may as well shut this forum down right now, because NONE OF US are qualified to speak our minds.

The fact is that all of us are free to speak our minds. Nobody slandered Cal, nobody told any falsehoods. Therefore, under our laws, they are free to speak whatever they wish. You seem to only want "qualified" people to speak; I disagree strongly. If all are not free, then none are free.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-23-2019 07:25 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It’s pretty obvious someone does not accept constructive criticism very well!
Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 08-23-2019 08:02 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Boom doesn't necessarily disagree with Hacker, only that he spoke his mind to the public. So as Tip basically said - are there only certain times and places for people to express their freedom of speech?

I'm sure Hacker loves UK more than he loves any coach. UK will be here long after Coach Cal is gone. Maybe Hacker is just tired of calling play-by-play for one-year players while other teams are out winning championships.

Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 08-23-2019 12:49 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
Boom doesn't necessarily disagree with Hacker, only that he spoke his mind to the public. So as Tip basically said - are there only certain times and places for people to express their freedom of speech?

I'm sure Hacker loves UK more than he loves any coach. UK will be here long after Coach Cal is gone. Maybe Hacker is just tired of calling play-by-play for one-year players while other teams are out winning championships.

There is a time and place for everything.

I do feel if a person leaves a place of employment, no matter if they are fired for just cause, downsized, or they left on their own, they should not bad mouth the company in the press. I am not saying they are not entitled to their opinion or they can't tell their friends.

No, when you talk about a college athletic program and you have an old former player who failed very badly at his stint at coaching and a past side kick announcer to the program speaking out against the program to the press, they are just wanting attention and wanting to be relevant in today's times. There time has come and gone. They can't ride off in the sunset with class. They have to look petty and small.

I am a fan and an alum of UK. I am not a big booster. So, my opinion carries no weight regarding UK, nor should it.

I have lost all respect for Macey. Hacker always was a nobody and now he is trying to get media time, swinging off of Macy's jock.

I feel we all have the ability to say what we want, when we want, and how we want. That does not mean it won't have consequences.

If I were in charge of UK, I would ban Macey and Hacker from anywhere near the athletic program. I would make them buy tickets like any other common folk.

Hacker was lucky to have his job, He wasn't that good. I am betting deep down, he resents the fact that Cawood received all of the accolades and he didn't receive the adulation and respect that Ledford did. Macy is known for being surly. If he got on a bad footing with Cal, he should look in the mirror and see the asshole that is looking back at him. Right down the line, we have heard about how welcoming Calipari and his staff are to the former players of the program. I don't have anything signed from Macy. I am not one of those people that collect. If I did, I would simply throw it into the trash.

Those turds really aren't worth talking about anymore.

Any of you guys are welcome to wish UK had Pitino or Tubby back. Not me.

I still say that any of you who think Macy was right to run his mouth to the media are as wrong as he is.

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 08-23-2019 04:54 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you, your highness, for enlightening me. Please don't beat me.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-23-2019 06:12 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey boom, I just saw where two of your idols played a round of golf together.

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/John-Calipari-Barack-Obama-play-round-of-golf-558036291.html

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 08-23-2019 07:36 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stir-Stir-Stir

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 08-23-2019 07:41 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Handy when you take over the head job what are you going to do in regards to this subject ??? [Wink] LMAO

MEL

Posts: 2791 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-23-2019 08:08 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Stir-Stir-Stir
Norm, it’s a dirty job but someone’s got to do it.

Mel, i’m Quite a bit older than Cal and he will be here when i’m Gone. Like most of the posters on here, we don’t want him to go anywhere. We may not agree with him on everything but I don’t know one single poster on here (except maybe you) who wants him gone. That certainly includes everyone who posted on this thread.

I keep telling folks we should be thankful we’ve got him. It could be a lot worse, we could have got Roy.

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 08-23-2019 08:23 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
^^^ [Big Grin] ^^^

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 08-24-2019 12:15 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by handycat:
Hey boom, I just saw where two of your idols played a round of golf together.

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/John-Calipari-Barack-Obama-play-round-of-golf- 558036291.html

Hopefully Cal and the Cats will win it all this year so they can hang out with Trump at the White House
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 08-24-2019 01:10 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:
Thank you, your highness, for enlightening me. Please don't beat me.

[Roll Eyes]

Hitting someone in their good eye is something that a leftist would try and do to a conservative. Personally, if i met you in a bar, I would buy you a drink, listen to you defend those two who ran the program down to the media, and politely tell you that view is incorrect. If you stuck around longer, I would likely buy a second round as well
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 08-24-2019 05:28 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by handycat:
quote:
Stir-Stir-Stir
Norm, it’s a dirty job but someone’s got to do it.

Mel, i’m Quite a bit older than Cal and he will be here when i’m Gone. Like most of the posters on here, we don’t want him to go anywhere. We may not agree with him on everything but I don’t know one single poster on here (except maybe you) who wants him gone. That certainly includes

everyone who posted on this thread.

I keep telling folks we should be thankful we’ve got him. It could be a lot worse, we could have got Roy.

Well said

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 08-24-2019 02:36 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ha ha Handy … I don't want him gone. With 2 Final Fours and a National Championship in the last 4 years I think UNC and Coach Williams are doing just fine with our 3 and 4 year players (well except we did have 2 go first round this year). I am one that is so ready for the one and done era to be over with … love getting to know players for more than a few months !!! I know there will still be a few that go to college for a year and then to the nba but most of the big boys will go straight out of HS. I think college basketball will be better for it too … we can go back to rooting for the kids we have grown to know over time and enjoy them for more than a few months or so. I don't blame a kid for going but I do like the old days where they stayed around 2-4 years. I was so tired of the hype dook and Zion got this year … it was sickening !!!

MEL

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-24-2019 04:46 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mel, I don’t disagree with anything in your post. Most UNC fans are, by nature, dumber than a box or rocks. You “might” be the exception.

Don’t let that go to your head, I compliment everybody.

[ 08-24-2019, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 08-24-2019 11:26 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kind of what I was thinking about the uk fans !!! [Wink]
You seem to be pretty ok … if that can be said about a uk fan / coach !!! [Wink]

MEL

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 08-25-2019 04:19 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MEL:
quote:
Kind of what I was thinking about the uk fans
Let's see now. We got this boy from unc standing right in the middle of a bunch of die-hard UK fans talking smack!

hc,
I think you might wanna consider editing your last post. [Wink]

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 08-25-2019 11:41 AM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nah I am a thousand miles away !!! [Wink] lol

MEL

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com