TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Kyle Macy no longer feels welcome at UK

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kyle Macy no longer feels welcome at UK
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 07-18-2019 08:23 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sounds like him and Cal have serious differences.

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/kyle-macy-sounds-off-on-john-calipari-says-he-doesnt-know-if-he-feels-welcome-at-kentucky-anymore/

Posts: 5405 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 07-18-2019 09:31 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can't say I disagree with Macy's point of view.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13624 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 07-19-2019 06:55 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sounds like Macy has become one of those unhappy people in his old age. Not a very classy thing to do on his part.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
jerseycat
Player
Member # 9

posted 07-19-2019 09:58 AM      Profile for jerseycat   Email jerseycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Agree with Tiptree.

--------------------
UK Class of 1968

Posts: 1791 | From: Red Bank, NJ | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 07-19-2019 10:28 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I find it odd that Macy is critical of Coach Cal, when Macy couldn’t find success coaching at low level program. I am thankful that Macy is not a part of the program any longer. He was disaster as a coach. Yes, he is who coaches should go to for advice. (Dripping with sarcasm).
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 07-19-2019 01:27 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with all of his interview except the part of neutral site games. I think that was good for both Ky and Indiana, they could put 60,000 people in Lucas Oil Stadium with both schools getting half and that was what Cal wanted each year. Other than that, I think I can understand how he must feel.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 07-19-2019 02:25 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would rather play West Virginia every year than Indiana.

Would like a home and away with UCLA

If Kentucky never plays Indiana again, I am more than OK with it. Since Bobby Knight has been gone, they are not worth the trouble.

blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 07-19-2019 04:10 PM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with about 95% of what Macy said. I can tell when Cal loses in the NCAA tourney, it seems to not bother him as much as his players.

[ 07-19-2019, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: blue hoot ]

Posts: 1497 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 07-19-2019 05:24 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with Kyle but am still a big Cal supporter. Even I have a couple of extremely small warts.
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 07-19-2019 05:45 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I too have a wart, but it's in a good place.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36270 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ProBlue
Player
Member # 2944

posted 07-19-2019 06:18 PM      Profile for ProBlue   Email ProBlue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
well you see how good duke did with # 1,2,3 top draft freshmen this year ! and you see what is winning titles. Rest my case.

--------------------
ProBlue

Posts: 755 | From: Bristol,Tn. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 07-19-2019 08:21 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't disagree with Macy at all. It's just the way things are now a days. I don't like it, but it is what it is. I feel the most important day should be winning a national championship, not draft day. I love draft day for those guys, but the ultimate goal for the team should be a national championship, not just getting drafted. Alot more could be said about the state of college basketball, but I won't start to touch that.
Posts: 5440 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 07-19-2019 08:28 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just where is this “wart” located Norm?
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 07-19-2019 09:05 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry, but it's a secret. Classified as "need to know" only.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 07-19-2019 09:17 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well Norm don't let the FBI know or the location will be in the New York Times! [Big Grin]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 07-19-2019 11:10 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They already questioned me, but I lied to them. Don't tell anybody, because as General Flynn can tell you, that's a no-no.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 07-20-2019 01:30 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ukman:
quote:
I don't disagree with Macy at all. It's just the way things are now a days. I don't like it, but it is what it is. I feel the most important day should be winning a national championship, not draft day. I love draft day for those guys, but the ultimate goal for the team should be a national championship, not just getting drafted. Alot more could be said about the state of college basketball, but I won't start to touch that.
Great post...couldn't agree more.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 07-20-2019 06:01 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Macy's success or failure as a coach makes no difference here. None of us are successful coaches, but we all express our opinions freely. Macy is an icon of UK basketball, and has earned the right to speak his mind publicly. And he just happens to speak for me and many other fans.

Cal is not perfect. He is a damn good coach, and clever enough to know that one way to success in college basketball is to become a preferred waystop on the way to the NBA. Macy is pointing out the elephant in the living room, which is that UK fans want championships. I am much, MUCH more proud of our 8 national titles and overall leadership in wins than I am of how many UK players end up in the league. To me, that is a secondary consideration.

Don't get me wrong. I, an every UK fan are happy when a UK player is drafted. But individual success must be secondary to team success. Yet, what does Cal actually focus on? Not championships, but NBA draft day. That is a big mis-match to the rest of BBN.

Look at the rest of the student body. They celebrate graduation, which is the accumulation of a string of successes that earns them a degree. There is no public ceremony when a student gets a job. The celebration is focused on what they achieved while at the university, not on how that success is translated into employment.

This is where Cal is out of touch with the UK fanbase, and frankly, with UK itself. Barnhart has no incentives built into Cal's contract for how many players get drafted, but he sure has incentives in there for championships. As long as Cal gets wins, Barnhart and the UK fans will tolerate this.

The quote on MM's signature is this:

quote:
"I'm at Ky because I can recruit the best of the best"....John Calipari
I heard that, and filled in the rest of what I thought he meant with ... "I'm at Ky because I can recruit the best of the best and win championships with them". But Cal seems to have actually been thinking "I'm at Ky because I can recruit the best of the best and keep that pipeline going by sending them to the NBA".

[ 07-20-2019, 06:07 AM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 07-20-2019 08:22 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
None of us are successful coaches
I beg your pardon!
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 07-20-2019 08:25 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] ^^^^^^^

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 07-20-2019 12:18 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:
I think Macy's success or failure as a coach makes no difference here. None of us are successful coaches, but we all express our opinions freely. Macy is an icon of UK basketball, and has earned the right to speak his mind publicly. And he just happens to speak for me and many other fans.

Cal is not perfect. He is a damn good coach, and clever enough to know that one way to success in college basketball is to become a preferred waystop on the way to the NBA. Macy is pointing out the elephant in the living room, which is that UK fans want championships. I am much, MUCH more proud of our 8 national titles and overall leadership in wins than I am of how many UK players end up in the league. To me, that is a secondary consideration.

Don't get me wrong. I, an every UK fan are happy when a UK player is drafted. But individual success must be secondary to team success. Yet, what does Cal actually focus on? Not championships, but NBA draft day. That is a big mis-match to the rest of BBN.

Look at the rest of the student body. They celebrate graduation, which is the accumulation of a string of successes that earns them a degree. There is no public ceremony when a student gets a job. The celebration is focused on what they achieved while at the university, not on how that success is translated into employment.

This is where Cal is out of touch with the UK fanbase, and frankly, with UK itself. Barnhart has no incentives built into Cal's contract for how many players get drafted, but he sure has incentives in there for championships. As long as Cal gets wins, Barnhart and the UK fans will tolerate this.

The quote on MM's signature is this:

quote:
"I'm at Ky because I can recruit the best of the best"....John Calipari
I heard that, and filled in the rest of what I thought he meant with ... "I'm at Ky because I can recruit the best of the best and win championships with them". But Cal seems to have actually been thinking "I'm at Ky because I can recruit the best of the best and keep that pipeline going by sending them to the NBA".
I think some fans on this thread are missing the significance of Macey running his mouth. Yes, we are all allowed to have an opinion and can say whatever the hell we want. But, with that freedom comes consequences of your actions.

He is not only a former player, but a past coach. A coach who failed, but still a past coach. He has "celebrity" status in UK circles, not so much anywhere else. He should have more class than to run his mouth in the press about the program. He is a bitter old man that thinks his opinion matters more than it does.

Complaining on a fan site, to other fans, carries no weight. Being a former player and pissing and moaning to the press, has the ability to be picked up by every internet site that puts out stuff Kentucky related.

I don't care if any of you agree or disagree with what macy thinks about the program. My whole point is that he should not have said it to the press. He should keep his pissing an moaning to his friends, if he has any.

[ 07-20-2019, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 07-20-2019 02:03 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Damn, Boom. You do like your world nice and tidy, don't you?

Coaches should welcome such opinions. But Cal is like Trump -- he will go after those who dare to take him to task. Macy has lost his access to practices. That is a shame... we have all wished for additional focus on FT shooting, and there have been few I would rather coach our guys on how to shoot FTs than Kyle Macy.

Macy did not do well at a school that has NEVER done well. Big deal. That doesn't mean he doesn't know about basketball in general, and UK basketball in particular. He merely said what many here have said, and I am glad he has the balls to do so publicly. It is about time.

--------------------
Tiptree

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 07-20-2019 02:06 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, no Tip! Boom has got it right. The rest of us fans on here are just stupid.
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 07-20-2019 03:34 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not calling anybody stupid. I am saying that Macy has no class.

I don't think any coach of any program would welcome a former player running his mouth to the media and complaining about the Coach or how the program is run.

There are plenty of former players who are welcomed with open arms and have said so publicly.

Joe Hall had a million critics, during his tenure at Kentucky. Now, he is as popular as ever. Anybody remember the joke about a bank being robbed that had a former player working there. The punch line was that the robber got away because the guard was not allowed to shoot.

Joe Hall couldn't be further from Calipari in philosophy. But, he gets to attend practices.

I would think that Macy isn't welcome, because of Macy, not because Cal doesn't welcome former players. He has an axe to grind, so he runs his mouth to the media.

Some of you think that is okay behavior? I do not. Again, I don't think any of you are stupid. I do think you have in incorrect view of the whole situation.

I don't believe in what he did. I wouldn't do it to a past employer, past business partner, or past friend to the media or social media, for that matter. Again, it shows how little class the complainer has, not the failings of the program.

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 07-20-2019 04:23 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I feel he is just expressing his feelings about the program. Of course his thoughts can be taken and used by Cal or ignored, since he has the final decision. I don't lay awake at night worrying whether Macy has access to practices or not, since I don't have access either.

I also put more emphasis on championships than I do numbers in the NBA. I'm sure he realizes by now that recruiting the best of the best does not insure championships since we have won only 1 in 10 years, when we should have 2 or 3. I'm sure he realizes also that his honeymoon with high schools top 5 players each year is over. Right now he is lucky if he can get 1 of the top 10. And the final fact is IT'S TOUGH TO WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS WITH ALL FRESHMEN IN THE STARTING FIVE. I personally would like to see him sign 2 or 3 of the top 10 each year and another 2 or 3 three or four year players to be developed.

[ 07-20-2019, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

Posts: 14162 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 07-21-2019 07:08 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tiptree...Yeah!
handycat...Yeah!
Bama Cat.....Yeah!
boomdaddy....Booo!

--------------------

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 07-21-2019 09:36 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have no beef against Macy. He was being interviewed and probably just answered a question honestly. How can anyone find fault in that? [Confused]
Posts: 10345 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 07-21-2019 09:40 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Basketball is a business - larger venues more money. Simple..

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 07-21-2019 01:18 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I always thought Cal liked the larger, neutral-site venues because they were more in line with the NCAA tournament.
Posts: 10345 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 07-21-2019 03:50 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The overwhelming portion of the revenues generated by UK basketball come from TV. Ticket sales are just the icing on the cake.

Cal does prefer neutral sites as preparation for the NCAA tournament. The Indy/Louisville series would have been pretty sweet, since both venues are frequently host sites for tournament games.

--------------------
Tiptree

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 07-23-2019 12:08 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The overwhelming portion of the revenues generated by UK basketball come from TV. Ticket sales are just the icing on the cake.

That is true but a large amount of money comes from arena tickets. for example 200 level seats at rupp about 1500 per season. BIg arenas seats go upward to 500 dols a seat. So a lot more money comes from the larger arenas and is a major source of revenue.

So Cal wanting to play in large arenas is fine with the uk administration...

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com