TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal's new UK contract

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal's new UK contract
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-13-2019 08:20 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All rumors of John Calipari leaving Kentucky for the NBA or another college gig can be put to rest.

Thursday, the University of Kentucky announced coach Calipari signed a lifetime deal worth $86 million. His base salary will be $400,000 per season from the university.

After six seasons, Calipari will have the option to step down as head coach and become a special assistant to the athletics director/university representative. This position would pay him $950,000.

The only incentive included in Calipari’s new contract remains the performance of the men’s basketball team in the Academic Progress Rate. The bonus will remain unchanged at $50,000 from the previous contract for meeting the threshold of 975.

This contract is a victory for all sides. Calipari gets a big payday and permanent job security while Kentucky holds onto a coach that has led the program to a national championship, four Final Four appearances, five SEC regular season titles, six conference tournament championships and has coached 39 players in his time at Kentucky selected in the NBA Draft.

Today’s a great day to be a Kentucky Wildcat, as there should never again be worries of losing one of the greatest coaches in college basketball history.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186355 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 06-13-2019 10:15 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder if he is still eligible for TV revenue once he steps down to "special assistant to the AD". His base salary would more than DOUBLE from $400k to $950k. Even if you include the APR bonus of $50k, the special assistant salary is still more than double.

If he can make a few million on the side doing commercials and speaking engagements, he will do OK. [Smile]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13591 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 06-14-2019 07:36 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just think, if you made $100K/yr for 100 years you wouldn't make what Cal will make in one year.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 06-14-2019 10:57 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is a more accurate breakdown of his contrat (fm ksr)

1. He’ll be making anywhere from $8 million to $9 million per year
Last year, Calipari made $8 million plus the $50,000 APR bonus (more on that later); for the next two seasons, that amount won’t change. Here’s what Calipari will be making each season through the end of the deal:
July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020: $8 million
July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2021: $8 million
July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022: $8.5 million
July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023: $8.5 million
July 1, 2023 – June 30, 2024: $8.5 million
July 1, 2024 – June 30, 2025: $8.5 million
July 1, 2025 – June 30, 2026: $9 million
July 1, 2026 – June 30, 2027: $9 million
July 1, 2027 – June 30, 2028: $9 million
July 1, 2028 – June 30, 2029: $9 million
2. After six years, he has the option to step down as coach
The purpose of this contract was to allow Calipari to finish his coaching career at Kentucky, and after six years, he’ll have the option to step down as the head coach and become special assistant to the athletics director/university representative. He would receive $950,000 in annual compensation for the position, which would include helping the university with fundraising and promoting the program.
Ambassador Calipari has a nice ring to it.
3. He has to let UK know about other job offers
There is still no buyout in Calipari’s contract, but there is a new section regarding job offers. From now on, Cal must let the athletic director know of any job offers or requests for meetings and/or discussions before speaking with prospective employers. Remember, word leaked out about this new contract because UCLA reportedly reached out to Calipari to try to lure him to the West Coast. As he said last week, that’s an annual occurrence.
“I get calls every year from different people. And you know why I’ll talk? At the end of the day, I may be able to help someone else. If I know that I can help somebody else who’s helping assistants, I do that, but I’ll listen to people talk to me. I mean, I owe that to the profession, to myself.”
4. He still gets one month of paid vacation

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-16-2019 11:21 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nice deal for Cal for sure and very deserving.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186355 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 06-16-2019 12:55 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal has done a great job at UK and deserves all he is getting paid. Not only has he recruited the best talent and produced championship level teams virtually every year, he has been exactly the "visible" coach, recruiter, promoter and ambassador for, arguably, the most visible program in college basketball, and, IMO, by the books...Kudos to Cal!

SIDE NOTE:

I do think Cal, more than anything, needs and wants another national championship to solidify his legacy; he would join an elite group of coaches with multiple titles.

As much as I would enjoy and celebrate another title for the Cats, I would be most happy and proud of Coach Cal.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com