TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » NCAA approves new 3 point line and more

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NCAA approves new 3 point line and more
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-05-2019 08:54 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
College basketball is officially changing the 3-point line.

On Wednesday, the NCAA approved moving the 3-point line to the international basketball distance of 22 feet, 1¾ inches in men’s basketball. The rule will be effective for the 2019-20 season in Division I.

The NCAA rules panel committee cited the following reasons for why the line is being extended:

Making the lane more available for dribble/drive plays from the perimeter.
Slowing the trend of the 3-point shot becoming too prevalent in men’s college basketball by making the shot a bit more challenging, while at the same time keeping the shot an integral part of the game.
Assisting in offensive spacing by requiring the defense to cover more of the court.
This isn’t the only big change that was made. The panel also approved resetting the shot clock at 20 seconds after a field goal attempt hits the rim and the offensive team rebounds the ball in the frontcourt.

The change is being made to enhance the pace of the game. The committee decided a full 30-second shot clock is not needed because the offensive team is already in the frontcourt after securing the rebound.

The panel also approved a proposal where players will be assessed a technical foul should they use derogatory language about an opponent’s race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identify, sexual orientation or disability.

Another rule change is that coaches are now allowed to call live-ball timeouts in the last two minutes of the second half and the last two minutes of any overtime periods. Previously, coaches weren’t allowed to call any live-ball timeouts during the game.

But perhaps the most notable change made in the eyes of UK fans is that instant replay review can be conducted if a basket interference or goaltending call has been made in the last two minutes of the second half or the last two minutes of any overtime. This would have prevented LSU’s obvious basket interference play that gave the Tigers an upset win in Rupp Arena this past season.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 06-06-2019 02:26 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It needed to be moved back, it was to close.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 06-06-2019 06:15 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't care where you put the 3 point line, the shooting percentages are going to remain bad from that distance!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123958 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 06-06-2019 10:38 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like that they're moving the line back. I don't like the in-game timeout change, though. I just think timeouts should only be allowed in a dead-ball situation.
Posts: 10322 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 06-06-2019 12:04 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Paul the only difference in the new time out rule is that NOW the coaches can call the time out where in the past only the players could...

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 06-06-2019 02:33 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's even worse! [Smile]
Posts: 10322 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 06-07-2019 12:16 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If I were a coach I would still recruit shooters and and try to shoot between 30 to 35 three point shots a game and maybe even more.

Shooting 35% from 3PT range is equivalent to shooting 52.5% from 2PT range. If I have one complaint about Cal it is that UK doesn't shoot enough threes and that his by his offensive design because he has said many times he only wants his team to shoot 20 to 23 threes per game.

Look at the 2015 loss to Wisconsin. If I remember correctly UK only attempted 4 or 5 threes in that game and that was with Booker/Ulis/Harrison Twins/Lyles on the roster. Of course, they shot too many against West Virginia in 2010 but that was a team with inside dominance against a smaller opponent and Cal didn't have many shooters on that team.

[ 06-07-2019, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11532 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 06-08-2019 03:25 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like the new 3-point distance. It will allow Cal to use more NBA-like spacing in his offense, which will in turn better prepare this players for the jump to the pros. And yes, hopefully, force him to focus more on shooters in his recruiting efforts.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-09-2019 07:55 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It should help Cal's recruiting too.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com