TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Nick Richards to return.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nick Richards to return.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 05-28-2019 03:09 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's official. Hope E J will return as well.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2019/5/28/18308177/kentucky-basketball-nick-richards-uk-wildcats-2019-20-nba-draft

Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 05-28-2019 03:33 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope Nick develops into the player coach cal wants him to be.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 05-29-2019 11:43 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Richards can get fluid and remove the hesitation from his game, he will be a beast. I would like to see him work on being a quicker shot blocker.....maybe get leaner....
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-29-2019 04:35 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would bet Richards will come back much improved and will have a good season under the guidance of Cal and his coaching staff.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-29-2019 05:08 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd like to see him get better but we have said that for two years. Lets hope it happens because we will surely need him if we expect to finish high.
Posts: 14119 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 05-29-2019 05:57 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Personally, I think Nick needs to be given a little longer leash than Cal has allowed in his first 2 years. The guy definitely has things to work on, but I can't think of another player that has gotten pulled quicker than him over the years. And often for some of the same mistakes other guys would make. I think it did affect his confidence, especially in his first year. I hope he pulls it together and does what he needs to stay on the court longer. I think he has some really good potential, but it hasn't been realized yet. Maybe this will be the year. Fingers crossed.
Posts: 5420 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 05-29-2019 08:53 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ukman, I used to feel the same way as you. But I looked very closely at Nick this year, and most of the time, he was called back to the bench for egregious defensive lapses. I am talking about on-the-other-side-of-the-court defensive lapses. He would get screened, hesitate, try to switch to the wrong man, then realize his mistake. Meanwhile, his man would simply scurry to an open spot on the floor and usually nail an open shot.

If we played some sort of defense that wasn't focused so much on switching, he might look better. But in the heat of the action, he just would get lost. That HAS to change.

[ 05-29-2019, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 05-29-2019 09:26 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hate the switching defense, it's cost us a couple of national championships. I prefer the straight up man to man with a little zone thrown in from time to time.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-29-2019 09:44 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Last season Richards averaged over 4 boards a game while only playing 15 minutes a game. It should also be noted that that he "led" the Cats in blocks which says a lot about his defensive play. He is a player to watch and wouldn't be surprised if he plays a lot more minutes this coming season.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 05-29-2019 09:55 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I did see that some too Tip. He definitely struggles in the switching, which I personally hate. It has cost us numerous times over the years. However, I still think Nick was pulled alot quicker than other guys that would make the same mistake. Maybe Cal was trying to motivate hi, but I don't think that worked with him his first year, and not so much last year. I hope he gets confidence and really plays well. The one thing that really drove me nuts with him last year was his screen setting. He just doesn't hold the screen long enough. He leaves to roll to the basket almost the instant there is going to be any contact. Therefor the defender easily stays with the ball handler. If he would hold the screen for a solid second he would be open for quite a few lobs.
Posts: 5420 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com