TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Ending the One-And-Done?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ending the One-And-Done?
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-23-2019 09:50 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is exactly what is needed in college basketball. Get kids who don't want to be in college out of college. Let the NBA take responsibility for grooming these kids towards the NBA.

<ESPN link>

Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 04-23-2019 10:47 AM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree, that is a great G-league pitch. I still worry that as much as we talk about the one and done era, there will always be two and done, three and done etc. So whenever kids start getting polished, they bolt to NBA anyway.
Posts: 1497 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 04-23-2019 11:01 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Now that it's gone will coach cal use the graduate transfers to fill his roster?

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9799 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 04-23-2019 11:13 AM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rlt4uk:
Now that it's gone will coach cal use the graduate transfers to fill his roster?

I think he realizes thats the only other choice to be competitive to win another title.
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 04-23-2019 11:15 AM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If we can get that Blackshear guy from VA Tech, that can change everything.
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-23-2019 02:29 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That program doesn't start until next summer, and I seriously doubt it will change much.

As was said on the video, the big problem for those who qualify is that Nike and Adidas will not give them any endorsements unless they play for one of their "flagship schools". Skipping college will get them an early paycheck, but may cost them big-time over the course of their NBA career.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-23-2019 09:54 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip, do you think that if Zion had this G-league opportunity this past season and chose to go that route, that Nike and Adidas wouldn't have tried to sign him? My guess is hell yeah they would've. [Smile]
Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 04-23-2019 10:12 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PC … no doubt in my mind !!! They don't care who you played for in HS, club ball or college !!!
If you are good they want you in their shoes !!!

MEL

Posts: 2795 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-23-2019 11:25 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Zion was mentioned as probably the only exception. Some "decadal talents" will get their due no matter what. But Nike and Adidas have invested BOATLOADS of money in university sports programs to have first dibs on talent to sign. Yeah, they get some free advertising from the apparel, but the real goal is to get the inside track on the next round of megastars.

We will see. If top talent does begin to elect to go the g-league route out of high school, I guarantee you that Nike and Adidas will stop paying coaches and schools so much money. It would really upset more than the talent stream... it would start hurting the bottom line of athletic departments.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-24-2019 09:24 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You will always have some aspect of the one and done. There are always going to be players that are not considered “One and Done” talent that turn into that during one year of college: see SGA and Herro in back to back seasons for UK.

At the end of the day Cal’s job remains the same: recruit the most talented roster possible and mold them into a team to compete for a Championship.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-24-2019 11:28 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal’s job remains the same: recruit the most talented roster possible and mold them into a team to compete for a Championship.

I agree with that 100%! Why in the world would you ever intentionally recruit lesser talent when better is available? I would like to see these kids stay around longer as much as anyone but get the best you can. I think that is what EVERY coach does. Some with more success than others. You will never make me believe a coach takes a 3 or 4 star player over a 5 star in the hopes he stays around longer and gets better.

That's kind of like marrying a fat woman with the intention of putting her on a diet. If you like fat, great, marry fat. You're probably going to be married to a fat woman your entire life.If you like less talented players, recruit them because that's what you're going to get, a less talented team.

IMO, you're much more likely to put your fat bride on a diet and having success than trying to "teach" talent to these kids.

[ 04-24-2019, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5409 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
1 Catlanta Fan
Player
Member # 1526

posted 04-24-2019 12:05 PM      Profile for 1 Catlanta Fan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
^^^^^that's funny right there^^^^^^
Posts: 141 | From: Huntsville, AL | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-24-2019 12:28 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The biggest change when this starts happening is the talent available will decrease if their thinking is what happens. To what degree depends on how many of these top kids forego college and sign with the G league. Therefore most of the top blue blood schools talent will decrease. I'm not saying that will happen but that is the general idea these supporters of the program are thinking. It could lead to the way things were back in the 70's and 80's with schools like UK only getting 1-3 five star players each year.
Posts: 14173 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com