TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » NCAA Tournament Losses

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NCAA Tournament Losses
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-02-2019 11:28 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Points scored in UK losses compared to Season Average

2010 - 66 points compared to 80 PPG average
2011 - 55 points compared to 75 PPG average
2014 - 54 points compared to 75 PPG average
2015 - 64 points compared to 75 PPG average
2016 - 67 points compared to 79 PPG average
2017 - 73 points compared to 85 PPG average
2018 - 58 points compared to 77 PPG average
2019 - 60 points in reg compared to 77 PPG average

The common theme in every game, except for 2015. Our Freshmen guards did not play well. Wall, Bledsoe, Knight, Harrison twins in 2014, Jamal Murray, Fox, Monk, SGA, and now Haggans/Herro/Quickly. Although I do give Fox and Monk somewhat of a pass due to the horrible officiating in that UNC game (Sorry MEL, but it is true and I don't blame officials usually).

So, as the guards go, the UK production goes which isn't a revelation but to put it on paper and see UK is averaging almost 16 PPG's less in their losses vs. the seasonal PPG average is phenomenal to me.

So any of those games if UK just executes close to their regular season offensive efficiency they win going away because their defensive PPG's average is better most years in the tournament vs. regular season.

If you look at the individual stats of those games you will see some terrible shooting percentages from the field and awful assist to turnover ratios.

We always say guards win in March and this kind of proves it.

[ 04-02-2019, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11567 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 04-02-2019 11:35 AM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Could it be they just play too nervous and tighten up. Maybe they feel too much pressure to win in the tournament. Those are very interesting stats and thanks for listing it.
Posts: 1497 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-02-2019 11:38 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fascinating, and confirming of the popular wisdom. Guard play wins championships. At the very least, your guards must be adequate, and play even to their typical play. Great guards are a huge bonus, of course, but even then they must not have a let-down in the tournament. When the guards play poorly, the bigs cannot rescue them.

This is where the one-and-done recruiting runs into reality. Seasoned, steady, upperclassmen as guards are essential. Freshmen often have melt-downs in the pressure of the tournament, and it is fatal. I could live with a revolving door of freshmen forwards, but we really need a solid pipeline of guards that will stay 3-4 years and can play heady basketball when the stakes are highest.

[ 04-02-2019, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13609 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-02-2019 12:07 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow! That's amazing - at least a double-digit difference each year. Maybe someone needs to mail this info to Cal.
Posts: 10336 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 04-02-2019 12:29 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe, just maybe, it's because of the quality of the teams they are playing. In the tournament, they are playing against the best of the best. Not so much during regular season.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36269 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-02-2019 02:49 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Old Norm:
Maybe, just maybe, it's because of the quality of the teams they are playing. In the tournament, they are playing against the best of the best. Not so much during regular season.

Norm,

I'm sure that accounts for some of it, but I would have thought maybe 4 or 6 points. Just look at Auburn. Kentucky scored 82 points and 80 points against Auburn in the Regular season, but we get to the tournament and can only score 60 points in regulation against them?

Auburn put up 97 on UNC. It just seems in UK losses it is because they struggle to score with the same efficiency they did during the regular season. I saw something that said this was only the fourth game that UK was below 1.0 points per possession. They finished at something below 0.72 points per possession. It seems as though the defense is always there at tournament time, but the offensive execution is not.

I will use 2014 as an example because that was the year UK was a #8 Seed so all the games were against better competition.

UK did survive the first round against Kansas State by only scoring 56 points, but after that here were the scores:

UK 78 Wichita State 76 (WSU was the best defensive efficiency team in the nation that year and undefeated)

UK 74 Louisville 69

UK 75 Michigan 72

UK 74 Wisconsin 73

Championship game they only score 54 against UCONN.

During Cal's 10 years UK is 20-1 in NCAA Tournament games when scoring more than 70 points in regulation (only loss to UNC in 2017). They are 11-8 when scoring under 70.

[ 04-02-2019, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11567 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 04-02-2019 03:45 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's impressive info Trey tks for sharing!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-02-2019 07:34 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've been saying since Sunday that our young guards get tight when the pressure is put on them. This is also the reason why we always seem to shoot a lower FT percentage in tourney than regular season!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123973 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 04-03-2019 11:49 AM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TREY BALL

Phenomenal intel! Thank you!

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 837 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com