TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Play for 40 Minutes

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Play for 40 Minutes
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-31-2019 05:07 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Other than a handful of games, this team just could never play for an entire 40 minutes. I think most of that reason was due to the erratic Point Guard play. When it looked like Haggans had it figured out in late December and early January this team was damn good.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-31-2019 05:45 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I totally agree Trey, we played at a snails pace too many times with Hagans running things, he just seemed lost on the offensive end. He has no outside shot, lacks speed and is not a very good ball handler, making too many turnovers for your point guard. Maxey will play ahead of him next year when he arrives on campus, already a better point guard than Hagans. Neither of our point guards seemed to get it this season, Hagans or Quickley.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 03-31-2019 06:59 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The pace is Cals fault. He wouldn't let the guys run. Often times yelling at Hagans to slow down. I think Hagans felt like he couldn't ever play without looking over at Cal. It got him over thinking. When he played his best ball was when we played fast and we pushed It up the floor.
Posts: 5441 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-31-2019 07:20 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukman:
The pace is Cals fault. He wouldn't let the guys run. Often times yelling at Hagans to slow down. I think Hagans felt like he couldn't ever play without looking over at Cal. It got him over thinking. When he played his best ball was when we played fast and we pushed It up the floor.

I'm not talking about the pace. I'm talking about actually competing and EXECUTING for 40 minutes, which I think all came down to guard play. The freshmen really struggled with competing for an entire game. You have to focus.

As far as Haggans, I actually think he made just as many mistakes in transition during the year as he did in the half court, maybe even more. I know that was certainly the case today: Travels, missed shots, not making the correct pass, dribbling the ball of his foot, etc. He very rarely made the easiest play, not that he went for a flashy play, but he just generally turned down the easy or smart play today and throughout the year IMO.

[ 03-31-2019, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-31-2019 07:45 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Haggans should have stayed in high school probably one of our worst point guards ever!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-31-2019 07:48 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukcatfannfl:
Haggans should have stayed in high school probably one of our worst point guards ever!

Agree. I will say I think Haggans will be much better next year however for going through this season. His shooting stroke is not broken he just doesn't shoot it with confidence. He can correct that. I also think with some off season film study he can see where he made his mistakes and work on correcting those. I have high hopes for him next year.

--------------------

redbone

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com