TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Poor guard play and terrible free throw shooting

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Poor guard play and terrible free throw shooting
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-31-2019 04:43 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Auburn won the guard play and UK once again can’t make free throws in the NCAA Tournnament

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11565 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-31-2019 04:45 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PJ, Reid, and Johnson should have dominated in the paint today with any guard play at all

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 03-31-2019 04:54 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal says ft's won't get you beat

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9779 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 03-31-2019 05:09 PM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why didn't we post up any more than we did? Travis and Washington looked great when they got the ball on the blocks...but we were content to play Tubby ball...pass the ball around the arc for 20 seconds and throw up a prayer.

--------------------
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian!” Henry Ford

Posts: 5563 | From: Eddyville at heart, Chicago in life | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-31-2019 05:11 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CFIY,

Just my opinion but that all falls on the guards. I posted it earlier in the year. Our guards were clueless how to throw a post pass.

--------------------

redbone

EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 03-31-2019 05:18 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We may as well have left our PG’s in Lexington. They were awful today. Free throws have been a curse for Cal his entire career in the tournament. Left 13 available points at the free throw line. Pitiful

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 03-31-2019 05:18 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope none of our guards declare for the NBA, they're definitely not ready.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 03-31-2019 05:19 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EnterpriseCat:
We may as well have left our PG’s in Lexington. They were awful today. Free throws have been a curse for Cal his entire career in the tournament. Left 13 available points at the free throw line. Pitiful

Just one of those missed ft's in regulation and we win.

--------------------

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-31-2019 05:47 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I do not see any NBA material in either Quickley or Hagans. They are too slow and are not good enough ball handlers to run an offense. WE will have both of them back for another year, all we can hope for is that Cal has recruited over them already. Maxey is better than either.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 03-31-2019 08:47 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Our guards were unable to enter the ball to the post all season long!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123971 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 03-31-2019 08:49 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It just seems to me like Hagans slowly regressed as the season went on. He had an outstanding game against UNC and it slowly trickled off from there!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123971 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-01-2019 08:21 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To me, the only player who got better as the season went on was PJ. Every one else played the last game like they played the first.
Posts: 10334 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-01-2019 09:22 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PJ certainly improved in all facets (except, maybe, turnovers). His focus, effort, court awareness, decision making, and shooting all improved. He certainly strengthened his draft status.

Herro also improved or maintained. He was always one of the best at moving without the ball, and his defense became IMO the best of all the guards. His shooting was a little inconsistent, but I would feel very comfortable giving him the green light to launch in almost any possession. His glaring weakness was passing, especially passing into the post.

Hagans was a good point guard, but Auburn's guards were too fast and had too many weapons to use against him. I guess that makes him good, but not elite. He also was not very good at passing into the paint, and too many of his drives were ill conceived and led to turnovers. I like the fact that his 3-point shot improved over the season. He just needs to learn to make a good (timely) post pass and to make better decisions overall.

Quickly's shot also dramatically improved, but his floor skills were somewhat behind Hagans'. He is a serviceable combo guard who can provide minutes, but is not yet at the "starter" level. He plays good (but not great) defense, passes OK (but not great), and has good (but not great) court vision.

Johnson was just too inconsistent. When he is focused on the game, he can be an effective offensive force, either by driving or shooting the 3. His defense, however, was a problem, especially defense against 3-point shooters. He gave them too much room to shoot. He could develop into a great wing player if he focuses on his defense and his consistency.

Travis was a real 'wide body' -- big, tough, and seasoned. He developed into a reliable rebounder and low-post scorer, but he basically disappeared in the last two games, once PJ came back. We really needed him to work in tandem with PJ like before the injury, but he just deferred to him instead. I think Travis drove this team as a leader and a veteran. I will miss him next year.

Richards and Montgomery will be "the guys" inside next year. They need to work on their offense -- defensively, both showed great promise. Plus, they both need to bulk up and become dominant rebounders. If they want to put in the work, they can become a dominant inside duo.

I didn't see enough of Baker to make much commentary. He seems to be adequate on defense, but one-dimensional on offense. I hope he also comes back as a veteran leader for next year's team.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13604 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-01-2019 09:43 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I expected Quickley to be a much better shooter from the 3-point line. 34% is just ho-hum for someone described as a shooter who won the McDonald's 3-point contest.

Other than PJ, our 3-point shooting was bad. The thing is, how many times did we miss wide open 3's? You gotta knock those down.

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-01-2019 10:19 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Agree with just about everything you said Tip. We are now on the road to the 2020 final four. Hope Cal springs a couple surprises with his final signings for next year.
Posts: 14141 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ALA_KAT2
Player
Member # 1559

posted 04-03-2019 11:00 AM      Profile for ALA_KAT2   Email ALA_KAT2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tiptree, you stated that Herro’s glaring weakness was “passing into the post”. What does that say about the team as a whole when Herro was undoubtably our best passer into the post?

I think our offense should have run more through Herro, who can create off the bounce, is able to finish multiple ways, and hits free throws at almost a 95% clip.

--------------------
Adair CHS 1966/USAF/WKU/AT&T

GO BIG BLUE!

Posts: 4046 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 04-03-2019 12:14 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good defense will stop that since we have no one else who can hit from outside i.e. hero shut down as he was!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-03-2019 02:29 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ALA_KAT,

quote:

Tiptree, you stated that Herro’s glaring weakness was “passing into the post”. What does that say about the team as a whole when Herro was undoubtably our best passer into the post?

It says nothing good, that is for sure. I remember many of his passes being intercepted, thrown to the wrong hand, or even blocked coming off his hand. Hagans was even worse, simply because he often wouldn't even see the post player had position, or would throw the pass too late.

I am not sure our offense should have run through Hero, because much of his effectiveness was created by his relentless motion without the ball. Hagans should have initiated every possession, Hero should have been second option, and a pass into the post should have been the priority. That was the kind of team we had, but we could not execute much of that.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13604 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-03-2019 02:58 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was obvious that we had plays planned to get PJ or Travis the ball in the post. What irked me was we rarely had a play that would free up the outside shooter, mainly Herro. We would set a weak screen that was easily covered by a simple switch. There were no double screens, or double passes, or anything else that I saw that would get Herro an open look for three. I think all of his open looks were created by himself. Although PJ was adequate, Travis was terrible at hitting an open shooter when he was doubled teamed. I just wish we would've had more plays to free up the outside shot.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com