TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Let's face it.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Let's face it.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-17-2019 08:46 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was going to keep this to myself but said the hell with it.

Cal got out coached. Period.

He did not call me one time. I think he's getting a little cocky.

Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-17-2019 09:08 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Handy, I totally agree. We should have won that game in spite of some very questionable calls late by the zebras. For Herro to not get even one shot during the last 10 plus minutes of the game is very poor coaching in my humble opinion.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ProBlue
Player
Member # 2944

posted 03-17-2019 09:29 AM      Profile for ProBlue   Email ProBlue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Didn't get to see the game but did DVR it. I don't think I can watch it after hearing the reviews on here. Don't know which was more painful getting our taxes done yesterday or the Wildcats blowing a 8 point lead. I agree Cal got out coached .

--------------------
ProBlue

Posts: 735 | From: Bristol,Tn. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-17-2019 09:45 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Was too busy wondering who was going to make some points but will agree we always seem to have 3 or 2 time outs at the end of the game. He may try to keep them in case we need them at the end. Oh well, I have to admit this is not the team Cal really wanted so we are very lucky to be where we are. We have done pretty good without getting the top players like Duke seems to be doing almost every year. I think the best place for us would be in the other half of the tournament away from Duke. If we were to make it to the final four we would not want to face Duke until the championship game. I am not that worried about any other team but Duke.
Posts: 14119 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 03-17-2019 10:54 AM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anyone who watched this game objectively knows that the refs absolutely stole this game from us. There were 7 whistles in the last 2:58 and EVERY SINGLE ONE was in favor of Tennessee.

Cal never calls timeouts in late game situations. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Tennessee can have Barnes. I’ll keep Cal, even with his miscues (perceived or real).

Go Big Blue!!!

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 03-17-2019 10:56 AM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think one of the reasons we've struck out on the top recruits is because Cal's game coaching abilities. He often gets outcoach and cost us games. In 2022 which is just a couple years away, it will be 10 years until we have won a title.
Posts: 1495 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-17-2019 11:57 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm going to have to disagree on this one and I am often critical of Coach Cal's in game adjustments, but I actually thought he made all the correct moves in this one.

Cal went to the Middle pick and roll the last 10 minutes of the game and UK got any shot they wanted and he switched how they were defending UT and that built an 8 point lead for UK (could have been more if Hagans didn't miss an uncontested layup and UK didn't miss 3 free throws during that time as well)

UK had only turned the ball over twice in the first 16:30 minutes of the second half and in the last 3:30 they committed 3 unforced turnovers, didn't get a whistle, and PJ missed two shots from two feet (now I think he was fouled, but you have to make those through contact).

I think the difference in the game was UT's players simply made the right plays the last 3 minutes and UK didn't.

[ 03-17-2019, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11532 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
cadcatfan
Player
Member # 3035

posted 03-17-2019 12:14 PM      Profile for cadcatfan   Email cadcatfan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Also, take away the 2 free throw shots because of the technical foul and we are tied, not down by 2. What was that T for? I don't remember hearing...
Posts: 156 | From: Richmond, KY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-17-2019 12:33 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe I should have said this differently. I thought Cal got out coached badley especially in the last 4 minutes of the game. But I'm no expert, never coached a game in my life.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a dump Cal campaign. Even the best get out coached at times.

[ 03-17-2019, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-17-2019 01:35 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To me it was simple why we lost....A championship caliber team should NEVER lose a game up 8 with under 3 mins to go. NEVER

Having said that the reasons we lost (imv) were:

1. two unforced errors. Inexcusable !

2. Never really got untracked against their late game zone! You play the zone by passing into the middle then out and I only recall us doing it one time (to PJ)..

3. Reed fouls out on a phantom call! and finally

4. Every call in the final 3 mins was AGAINST us as there was certainly a bias from the refs i.e. when tenn player lower his shoulder and the ref called a block on Reed..

[ 03-17-2019, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: ukcatfannfl ]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-17-2019 02:06 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Travis fouling out (on yet another phantom foul) is a big reason we lost. I also think Tennessee's maturity outplayed our youth in the final minutes. I don't pin this one on Cal.
Posts: 10322 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 03-17-2019 02:40 PM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can't believe that 90% of Tennessee's roster are 3 stars or less. Wonder if veteran rosters are just too much for our freshmen to handle in huge games.
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-17-2019 02:50 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the age difference is starting to show up more and more in college basketball. Tennessee have a team of upper classmen, juniors and seniors pretty much. Our young teams just don't seem to be able to handle some of these veteran teams. That is why Reid Travis is so important to our team, he has both age and experience going for him.
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 03-17-2019 04:12 PM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SCWC:
I think the age difference is starting to show up more and more in college basketball.

SCWC, Agree, when UK won it in 2012, we had the perfect balanced roster. Not to mention superstar Anthony Davis.
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-17-2019 04:54 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, we had Darius Miller who was a four year senior on that team and had been a starter the two years before we won it in 2012.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com