TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Reid Travis observation (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Reid Travis observation
jerseycat
Player
Member # 9

posted 01-23-2019 10:49 AM      Profile for jerseycat   Email jerseycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have been following UK hoops since my college days in Lexington, 1965-1968. I am happy we have Reid Travis on this year's team.....shooting over 50% from the field, over 70% from the line, double digit scoring, pretty good defense, second only to P.J. in rebounds, etc. I understand he gets fouled quite a bit under the basket but it just amazes me how many times when he gets the ball down low he either misses a easy layup, gets stripped or gets his shot blocked. I can't remember another UK forward starter having so much difficulty under the basket.

[ 01-23-2019, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: jerseycat ]

--------------------
UK Class of 1968

Posts: 1790 | From: Red Bank, NJ | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-23-2019 11:49 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are plays where it seems like he can't even dunk the ball. His vertical leap (or lack of) leaves you wondering.
Posts: 10322 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 01-23-2019 11:50 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I understand he gets fouled quite a bit under the basket but it just amazes me how many times when he gets the ball down low he either misses a easy layup, gets stripped or gets his shot blocked. I can't remember another UK forward starter having so much difficulty under the basket.

My sentiments exactly. I too am glad he is on the team but I just don't think he is athletic enough for a typical UK team. I've said this before, I bet his percentage of made dunks is not much higher than his 3 point percentage.
Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 01-23-2019 12:39 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As long as pj, hero and Johnson play well all he is needed for is rebounding and clean up around the basket!!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-23-2019 12:55 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All the above. His weak points are close shots and jumping ability. The closest one to him would have been Harrelson or Rob Locke since Iv'e been watching games.
Posts: 14119 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-23-2019 02:51 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am no Reid Travis fan myself. I think we would be a better team without him. He has no shot and cannot play more than 10 feet away from the basket. I think he clutters up the middle and bottle necks the offense quite often. He will never play in the NBA, does not have the talent for the next level. I honestly think we could possibly be farther along as a team without his services. His vertical leap must be at least 1 foot, he has no shot other than a lay up which he misses about 50 percent of. I have followed Ky basketball since the early fifties and have seen some great one pass through UK during that time, in my opinion, he is not one of them.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-23-2019 03:07 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He is not NBA material by any means, but he can be a solid piece for a final four team. He does post well, and has gotten a little better at finishing since the beginning of the season. I just feel that Richards would be further along if he was getting some more of Travis' minutes. Same with EJ. But he can provide some low post scoring at times, just doesn't need to be on the floor for more than 20 minutes in my opinion.
Posts: 5420 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-23-2019 04:45 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My feelings exactly UKMan.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-23-2019 05:01 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Agree. Now that I think about it he is probably a little better than Rob Locke was. but that's not saying much [Big Grin]
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-23-2019 07:29 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have mixed feelings about Travis. One the one hand, he rebounds well, and he is a physically intimidating presence. But those missed shots are a BIG problem. I think he needs a sports psychologist to help him focus -- that is the only reason for missing so many close-in shots. He needs to focus on the rim and guide the damn thing home.

But he certainly isn't the kind of athletic center we have enjoyed under Cal. Players like Boogie, WCS, Davis and KAT are rare indeed, and we have been blessed to have so many play here. So, he isn't cut from that cloth. But he is the kind of workhorse that can play a key role. And Richards and Montgomery just aren't ready for 30 minutes a game (but they are progressing nicely), so I am damn glad we have Travis in there for now. Even if both Richards and Montgomery fully blossom, Travis can still be a key part of this team.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-23-2019 07:32 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
BRW, Travis isn't too terrible. Remember the two 7-footers Tubby had at the same time -- Shagari Alleyne and Lucasz Orzbut? Talk about a couple of plowhorses. Travis looks pretty good compared to some UK centers of the past!

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-24-2019 06:02 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip, you have a point there!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123958 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-24-2019 10:40 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tiptree, the two players you names that Tubby brought in were just big bodies, not even 3 star players. Travis was a 5 star mickey d player coming out of high school who has improved very little in my opinion. We miss on some players, Travis was a good pickup for us but his stats at Stanford were very misleading in reference to what he brings to the floor at UK.
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-24-2019 02:18 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bama Cat:
All the above. His weak points are close shots and jumping ability. The closest one to him would have been Harrelson or Rob Locke since Iv'e been watching games.

I would take Harrelson over Travis 8 days a week.
Posts: 10322 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-24-2019 03:05 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Me too Paulcat.
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-24-2019 04:22 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would take the senior version of Harrelson for sure. Before that, no way.

All I am saying is that Travis is a decent, but not great center. Most of our complaints are about his missed shots, which should be fixable. His lack of athleticism cannot be fixed, but he still is a formidable wide-body who can rebound and set picks. And, despite no noticeable improvement since his HS days (something that I have no way of verifying, but I will accept as true), he is still better than some centers we have had. Cal seems to understand what he can do and what he can't do, and has built his team around him accordingly. And he does seem to be a vocal leader on the floor (and also a leader by example), which is exactly what this young team needed. Green wasn't that way, Richards is FAR from being that way, and PJ needed some 'help' from Travis in the leadership role.

--------------------
Tiptree

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-24-2019 06:23 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't consider Travis a leader of this team. The leaders are Kelden Johnson, Ashton Hagans, Tyler Herro and PJ Washington. I just do not feel Travis has the talent to be a starter on a good Kentucky team.
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 01-25-2019 09:40 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The fans love Travis. The fans do not love Travis.

Which is it?

Well, glad you asked.

It all depends on which Travis is on the floor.

When the strong rebounding and put the ball in the basket Travis is on the floor, the fans are gushing with love.

When the flat footed, plow horse Travis that watches the opposition dribble by for an easy layup or the can't hit a three or a four foot shot Travis is on the floor, there is no fan love to be found.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 01-25-2019 09:45 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SCWC:
I don't consider Travis a leader of this team. The leaders are Kelden Johnson, Ashton Hagans, Tyler Herro and PJ Washington. I just do not feel Travis has the talent to be a starter on a good Kentucky team.

I wonder if Calipari will have him come off the bench at the end of the season.

My worry is that he is slow and not much of a jumper. This team loses more tips at the start of a game. I would prefer to have a quicker squad out on the floor at the start of a game, and then sub him in and let him bang around down low.

That being said, I have never coached a single college, high school, or middle school game. I am just a fan who thinks he knows which player should start. Haha.

WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 01-26-2019 07:19 AM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boomdaddy:
The fans love Travis. The fans do not love Travis.

Which is it?

Well, glad you asked.

It all depends on which Travis is on the floor.

When the strong rebounding and put the ball in the basket Travis is on the floor, the fans are gushing with love.

When the flat footed, plow horse Travis that watches the opposition dribble by for an easy layup or the can't hit a three or a four foot shot Travis is on the floor, there is no fan love to be found.

Nailed it!

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 836 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-26-2019 02:29 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Count me on boom nailed it.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 01-26-2019 06:56 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At the half of the KU game. I would say Big Blue Nation is gushing with love for Reid Travis.

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 836 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-26-2019 08:15 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He showed his value to the team tonight and I think that value is he knows how to compete with toughness. I think Kansas kind of bullied UK the first 6 or 7 minutes and Travis finally put an end to it with his play and then the rest of the team kind of followed.

He does miss a lot of bunnies though.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11532 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-26-2019 08:17 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree totally Trey. This was the kind of team Travis excels against. If the officials will let them play like they did tonight, Travis is much more effective when on the floor.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 01-26-2019 08:21 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll never be all in with Travis but IMO he has a definite place on this team, athletic ability or not.
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-26-2019 08:43 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good point Handy. BTW, Glad you kept Cal on the hotline tonight, you and he did a great job in beating a very good Kansas team.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 01-26-2019 09:09 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks SCWC. You're one of the few that gives me the credit I feel I deserve.
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 01-27-2019 06:08 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Handy the next time u talk with Cal suggest that he maybe start Richards like he did last year to at least get the tip which may lead to a basket and perhaps avoid the regular slow starts. Don't say it is from me however, you take the credit!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 01-27-2019 10:00 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not a big Travis fan, but I will speculate that without him, we would not have celebrated a win last night.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 01-27-2019 10:04 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree Norm.

Ed, I think that suggestion has merit and I will mention it to him. I will let him think it is my idea as I'm the only one he trusts.

ProBlue
Player
Member # 2944

posted 01-27-2019 10:24 AM      Profile for ProBlue   Email ProBlue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Now were on the the band wagon for him and if we look at most of the post above we were putting him down! No he's not a lottery pick but without him we would not have the number of wins we have.

--------------------
ProBlue

Posts: 736 | From: Bristol,Tn. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-27-2019 01:42 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree... not a lottery pick. But I suspect he will play pro ball somewhere. He can be a journeyman forward and make good money at it.

He is strong, he rebounds with both hands, he can get and maintain good low-post position, and he is tenacious on the glass. Those are his positives, and they are the kinds of things you can build a team around.

His glaring weakness is his low shooting percentage. As I said before, this can be fixed with focus. He made some really good shots last night because he was locked-in to this game. He may have missed a bunch of those in other games. His other weakness is he is neither quick nor athletic (compared to most NBA big men). Defensively, he can body up against other 'wide-body' types, but he will never be a shot-blocker.

All in all, I like his game. Maybe because he reminds me of my own game (and my own limitations). But when he plays with the kind of ferocity and tenacity he showed last night, we are a much better team.

--------------------
Tiptree

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 01-29-2019 06:23 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mr. Travis started by missing some bunny shots, but overall he was a beast in the Kansas games.

I want Mr Richards to get more floor time. He got like 5 blocks in 8 minutes of play. But, how do you sit Travis, when he is in beast mode? Then again, 5 blocks in 8 minutes...........

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-29-2019 08:27 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Travis carried us for a stretch in that game!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-06-2019 10:50 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the South Carolina game, last night, Travis continued his tradition of missing shots from point blank range. He could be a 25 point a game scorer, if he could hit shots from 2 to 4 foot from the basket.
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-07-2019 06:09 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think sometimes we forget when these boys are missing these close in shots how many times they are getting banged on by a big guy from the opposing team. I've found just a little contact from your opponent can alter your shot just enough.

--------------------

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 02-07-2019 07:26 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Reid Travis sure is an enigma! Take that Tip!
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 02-07-2019 09:30 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Reid Travis sure is an enigma! Take that Tip!
That is a tough'n, hc, but I'm thinking Tiptree ain't stumped too bad 'cause it just looks like one of them unnatural words he would know about.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-07-2019 10:35 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Handy,

Yes. He is a genuine conundrum.

--------------------
Tiptree

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-07-2019 11:01 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A different cube.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com