TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Box score/Cats vs Vamdy

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Box score/Cats vs Vamdy
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-13-2019 07:23 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Box Score

One of the ugliest games I have watched all year. This is just not a very good Kentucky basketball team and I don't see them becoming one by March madness The talent is just not there. When you only get 10 points from your front line and don't have a three point shooting team, that can make for a very long season. I will always watch Ky baskeetball but must admit, I have found little enjoyment in watching this group play the game. The wing players of Herro and Johnson are terrible passers, can't seem to feed the post players without losing the ball. If we didn't have Kelden JOhnson and Ashton Hagans, we would be up that well known creed without a paddle.

[ 01-13-2019, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-13-2019 09:26 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm loving Hagans and Johnson right now. Heck, even Herro. When Herro struggles shooting he usually does other things to help us win. Today maybe not, but overall he's a good player.

PJ should be ashamed of himself. He's a sophomore and still doesn't know when to shoot and when to pass. He always seems to make the wrong decision. He should be dominating in the paint.

If not for all of the preseason hype I wouldn't be upset with Travis. But they built him up to be All-World and he's barely All-City. He's just an average basketball player at best. I would take Josh Harrelson over Reid Travis any day of the week.

Posts: 10345 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-13-2019 09:45 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Me too Paulcat. This team are only shooting 34 percent from behind the three point line, yet Cal keeps saying they are his best three point shooting team. Herro and Hagans are the worst three point shooters on the team. I was a huge Herro fan but the kid is a turnover machine and unless he scores 20 points in a game, he almost turns out to be a negative. I think we would be a better team with Quickley getting more playing time at the two guard spot, he is a pretty good three point shooter. Baker is just getting fit into the team but I have not been overly impressed with his 3 point shooting thus far. He has been out of basketball for two years so it will take him some time to get his confidence and fit into this team. What I feel I am seeing is 5 individuals playing for themselves rather than the University of Kentucky. I want this team to be successful as I do all Kentucky teams but I am not impressed with their talent, their team play, their defense or their three point shooting, along with the inside game of Travis and Washington. This might turn out to be Cal's worst team during his ten years at UK, hope not but I don't have a lot of confidence in any of them except Hagans and Johnson.

The Vandy game last night was about as exciting as watching pain dry.

[ 01-13-2019, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-13-2019 06:00 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
4-16 from the 3 point line is scary bad and 8-14 from the foul line is too.

[ 01-13-2019, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-13-2019 06:16 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Vandy's starters had 4 turn-overs compared to the Cats starters 14!

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 01-14-2019 09:00 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I admit watching paint dry ain't very exciting, but it can be interesting after about 3 tokes.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-14-2019 11:28 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some thoughts:

(1) The two post players rebounded well, but scored poorly. My observation was that the guards had no clue when, or how, to feed the ball to the bigs against a zone. Vandy played zone almost the entire game, which is designed to take away the inside game. But, our guards hardly looked to throw it inside, and when they did, it was not when the player was in a position to score. I count that as terrible guard play/coaching more than laying it on the feet of Washington/Travis.

(2) 34% from the arc is a 51% effective field goal percentage. Not superb, but not too bad.

(3) I don't sense any cohesiveness offensively on this team, but I like our starters. I think Richards needs to get gradually more time, and Baker as well, so we can have a more robust rotation. Both of them should ultimately get about 15 minutes per game. EJ needs to show a lot more than he has to earn the floor, in my opinion.

[ 01-14-2019, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13624 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 01-14-2019 01:01 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MountainMafia:
quote:

I admit watching paint dry ain't very exciting, but it can be interesting after about 3 tokes.
After about 3 tokes, my colors would run together and my room would look like a tie dye shirt. Sounds like a lot of fun though.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9789 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-14-2019 01:10 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip, we shot 4-16 on 3 pointers which is "25%", if we had shot 34% from the 3 point line it would have been effective as you point out.

Link

--------------------

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-14-2019 02:11 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CMD,

Yes, I know. I was referring to our season average of 34% from the arc.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13624 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com