TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » No Technical on Duke?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No Technical on Duke?
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-12-2019 04:25 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm curious as to why there was no Technical called on Duke at the end of the FSU game. Their entire bench was out on the court with time left on the clock.

That is an automatic technical. I'm not sure why Leonard Hamilton didn't ask TV Ted to take a look for that.

[ 01-12-2019, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11532 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-12-2019 04:33 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just watched it again. At least 8 Duke players on the court.

The NCAA rulebook, Rule 10, Section 2 (Administrative Technical Fouls), Article 6:

Art. 6. A team shall not have more than five players legally on the playing court to participate after the ball becomes live.

PENALTY: (Art. 6) Penalized when the violation occurs after the ball becomes live. Two free throws awarded to the offended team. The ball shall be put back in play at the point of interruption.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 01-12-2019 05:16 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anybody want to bet they wouldn't have called it on the Cats? Didn't think so.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 01-12-2019 05:22 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The reason Duke did not get a technical is that life isnt fair.

In the end, they have a win and FSU has a loss.

I have seen calls go against my favorite team, like the holding call that took Kentucky out of FG range against the Gators, last season, and calls go for my team, like the interference call and the thr resulting TD with ) on the clock against Missou.

Christian Laetner stomping on Timberlake should have been an ejection. If the freshman wasn't soft as cotton and would have gotten up and punched him, both would have been thrown out and Kentucky would have won that game.

I do think that basketball is the easiest game to influence if you can bribe the refs to influence the point spread or make sure a team loses. Calling touch fouls on one side and not the other or over the back on rebounding, then all of a sudden you take the fight out of the team and the other side builds up a lead.

I doubt the no call on the too many players was intentionally done becasue it was Duke, though.

I think the refs were concentrating on the game and not paying attention to it.

Football has the worst rule in sports, right now. The targeting rule is a joke. Players get kicked out of games for making clean football plays and it generally ends up being star players that kicked out. They even have replay and still kick out players for clean plays.

I do think there are dirty officials. You never hear of them getting caught or being prosecuted.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-12-2019 05:45 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trey is right, Fla State should have been shooting two free throws after Duke made that shot, TV Teddie doing to calling along with two Duke Alumni, what else would one expect.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 01-12-2019 06:51 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
boom said I do think there are dirty officials. You never hear of them getting caught or being prosecuted.

I do remember a NBA official getting in serious trb shaving points by calling on who he wanted to lose
the point spread. Don't remember his name though..

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 01-12-2019 07:01 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The clock went to zero, the players IMO thought all the time ran off the clock, the game was over.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-12-2019 07:30 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There was 0.8 seconds left in the game, automatic technical. Clock is not official at that point in the game, easy to see when the ball went through the basket that there had to be time left in the game.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 01-12-2019 09:23 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They didn't put the 0.8 back on the clock until they went to the monitor.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-12-2019 10:50 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can't bring myself to even sit and watch a Duke game during the regular season unless I see they are trailing! I can't stand to listen to the announcers!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123958 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-12-2019 11:54 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rlt4uk:
The clock went to zero, the players IMO thought all the time ran off the clock, the game was over.

Disagree. Three Duke bench players were clearly on the court. I saw it occur while watching it live. They all stepped on the court with 0.3 seconds left, then the clock ran out even though it should have stoppped when the ball went through the hoop.

TV Ted then went to the monitor and put 0.8 seconds back on the clock.

[ 01-12-2019, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-13-2019 09:20 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boomdaddy:
Football has the worst rule in sports, right now. The targeting rule is a joke. Players get kicked out of games for making clean football plays and it generally ends up being star players that kicked out. They even have replay and still kick out players for clean plays.

The reason for the targeting rule is so that when Johnny Football sues the NCAA ten years from now they can say they did all they could to prevent brain injuries. Blame this rule on our sissy society and people not taking responsibility for their own actions. It's a fact of life - if you play football, you're gonna get hit.
Posts: 10322 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-13-2019 06:37 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, there's a lot of truth to that, but there's also proof that some of these former ball players are suffering from dementia and other brain injuries related to hits to the head during their careers!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 01-13-2019 07:24 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with the reason for the targeting rule being instituted. I strongly disageee with how it is being called by the officials.

The call carries so much weight, because of the player ejection. If they called 75% less and onlybcalled the egregious ones, the sport would be a lot better off

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-13-2019 07:26 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is actually indisputable proof. Blows to the head do cause progressive brain damage, and often lead to mental health issues and/or early death.

The only answers are to either design a helmet that somehow absorbs and dissipates the energy of collision, or to end football as we know it. Call it "sissy" or whatever, it would be dereliction of parental duties to allow their child to play a sport where the chances of real, lasting physical harm are so high. This has nothing to do with being a "sissy", unless you count refusing to allow your child to play Russian roulette as being "sissy".

Of course, the game could evolve to prevent head injuries. Imagine if the NFL were to go to a "touch" football league!

This is an existential threat to the NFL and to college athletics. The data cannot be denied, but it can be obfuscated and feet can be dragged. And you can bet that this will take a long time to play out. But the data shows that the cumulative effect of 6 or more solid hits to the head is life-changing and potentially life-shortening.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 01-13-2019 08:01 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If they removed the face masks, the use of leading with the head would greatly diminish. Of course a lot more layers would start looking like hockey players.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 01-13-2019 08:30 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Obfuscate

1.to confuse, bewilder, or stupefy.
2. to make obscure or unclear: to obfuscate a problem with extraneous information.
3.to darken

Getting a little tired of this Tip.

[ 01-13-2019, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 01-14-2019 06:05 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It wasn't until recently that I had seen the movie "Concussion", starring Will Smith. IT was a very interesting movie based on a true story of how Mike Webster of the Steelers went crazy and lived in a steel mill parking lot in the back of his truck. The movie is worth the watch!

--------------------

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 01-14-2019 09:09 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Getting a little tired of this Tip.
You tell him, hc. I'm too confused and bewildered.

Oh, btw, did your wife let you keep that blond cheerleader? I'm asking for a friend.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-14-2019 09:20 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just to clear the air, my use of the word "sissy" was relating to people knowing what they're getting into and them blaming someone else for the repercussions. Maybe "sissy" wasn't the right choice of words. I just don't speak as eloquently as Tip. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10322 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 01-14-2019 11:04 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tiptree has that rare combination of education AND common sense. Yes, I am envious.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-14-2019 11:09 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Blame that on my parents, but you forgot handsome. [Smile]

All of that pales in comparison of being privileged to be a fellow UK fan and part of the "fellowship of TCD". Y'all good folk, and we make a great community.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 01-15-2019 12:29 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
but you forgot handsome.
I ain't forgot, "You is one HANDSOME man Tiptree!"

Talked to Cal lately?

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com