TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Comparison of this years team to other Cal teams

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Comparison of this years team to other Cal teams
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-11-2019 01:48 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From KSR:

How does this Kentucky team compare to the others of the John Calipari Era in key statistical areas? In some ways, they’re the best; in others, the worst.

In the game notes each week, the UK Athletics staff puts together a chart comparing the ten teams of the Calipari era through whichever number of games the current team has completed, so, as of today, fourteen. Knowing one of this team’s weaknesses, I added opponent three-point percentage to the data:

As you can see, the numbers tell us some interesting stuff. Let’s start with the good.

Free Throw Percentage: 75.9% – Highest of the Calipari Era
The one area this team is better than any other is free throw percentage. Currently, the Cats are making 75.9 percent of their free throws, by far the best of the Calipari Era. The next closest team through 14 games was the 2011-12 national championship squad. The only player averaging under 70 percent from the charity stripe is EJ Montgomery at 64.3 percent. PJ Washington, aka Mr. 1-2, has improved his percentage from 60.6 percent last year to 72.1 percent so far this season.

Field Goal Percentage: 49.0% – Second Highest of the Calipari Era
Calipari believes this is his best shooting team, and so far, they rank behind only the 2009-10 squad in field goal percentage through 14 games. Kentucky’s shot over 50 percent in three of the last five games, so hopefully that number will continue to improve.

Opponent Field Goal Percentage: 42.9% – Highest of the Calipari Era
Kentucky’s defense has improved, but they’re still allowing their opponents to make 42.9 percent of their shots, the worst mark of the Calipari era. Not surprisingly, the 2014-15 team had the lowest opponent field goal percentage, 31.1 percent, but since then, Calipari’s squads have allowed their opponents to make 41.03 percent of their shots. Not a good trend.

Opponent Three-Point Field Goal Percentage: 38.9 percent – Second Highest of the Calipari Era
It may not feel like it, but so far, this team doesn’t have the worst perimeter defense of the Calipari Era. That honor goes to the 2015-16 squad, which allowed its opponents to make 40.8 percent from behind the arc at this point in the season; so far, this group is allowing 38.9 percent. After holding North Carolina and Louisville to 38.9 and 25 percent from three, respectively, Kentucky allowed Alabama and Texas A&M to make 43.5 and 47.1 percent from the outside. Oof.

Blocks: 76 – Fewest of the Calipari Era
Despite having two near-seven-footers in Nick Richards and EJ Montgomery, this team has the fewest blocks of the Calipari Era so far. Both Richards and Montgomery looked good vs. Texas A&M; hopefully their play continues to improve, because this team desperately needs rim protection.

Rebounds per game: 38.0 – Fewest of the Calipari Era
This is the one that probably makes Cal want to tear his hair out. This should be a great rebounding team, but so far, they’re only getting 38 boards per game, the fewest of the Calipari Era. PJ Washington and Reid Travis lead the team in rebounding with 8.1 and 6.1 per game, while the other big men, EJ Montgomery and Nick Richards, are only averaging 3.7 and 3.5 per game. Cal’s said it several times, but those numbers need to go up.

I’ll keep an eye on these numbers throughout the season to see how Kentucky improves. What stat stands out to you the most?

[ 01-11-2019, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-11-2019 06:20 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rebounds have to go up if we expect to be a team that makes a run in the NCAA tournament.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 01-11-2019 06:47 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catmandoo:
Rebounds have to go up if we expect to be a team that makes a run in the NCAA tournament.

I am no expert. But....hahaha.....I want the shot blocker to get more minutes.

There are times when the fifth year senior looks like a plow horse out there. There are also times when he dominates.

But, there are stretches where other teams out quick him and thats when I would prefer to see the shot blocker come in and stop the bleeding.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-11-2019 07:04 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am no Reid Travis fan either. I think he clogs down the offense on this team and plays little to no defense. He may have been a big star at Stanford and may have an occasional good game at UK but he will not get us to a final four. I would rather see Cal developing Montgomery and Richards, two potential rim protectors. I think by the end of the season, the team would be much better with Travis getting fewer minutes.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-11-2019 10:12 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have agreed with all the above for some time now. Travis can't make a layup. Of course we got some others that also have that problem. But this is not new, we had that problem last year also. Richards and Montgomery have to be used in spurts, just like they are getting now. Richards seems to be learning more as we go along. Montgomery has not fully picked up the speed of the game yet but he will be someone to wrecken with next year.
Posts: 14165 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 01-12-2019 10:31 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Something serious is wrong when you recruit 5 stars and they are not that good compared to other 5 stars,, one out of the bunch we have is nba talent the rest so so!!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-12-2019 11:09 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the last six years Cal has only recruited two top-five draft picks (Fox and Shai). By his standards, I'd say he's slipping.

On a side note, we're familiar with the shock brought about by having Bowie drafted before Michael Jordan. Well it's hard to believe that in 2010 the three men below were chosen ahead of Demarcus Cousins. To me, that's just as shocking as the Bowie/Jordan situation.

Even Turner
Derricks Favors
Wesley Johnson

Posts: 10345 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-12-2019 11:23 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PC you are spot on. This just goes to prove all these experts don't always "GUESS" the right guys. Our problem is Cal no longer is the fascination for these young kids that he once was. We are getting a lot of the second tier of the top 20 kids, all 5 stars. They have learned that they can get to the NBA just as easily thru other schools such as Duke, UNC, VA, AZ and others that are up and comers. Cal will get to the end of the line one day, 2yr, 3yr, 5yr, 10yr?? Who knows?? But it is on the horizon. I'm turning 78 here in a couple months and I'm guessing it's a race between him and me checking out down the road for good.
Posts: 14165 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 01-12-2019 12:48 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bahma's quote
quote:
I'm turning 78 here in a couple months and I'm guessing it's a race between him and me checking out down the road for good.
Dang Bama, why so optimistic? I'm betting you will be around here into you're 90's breaking in some young coach.
Posts: 5405 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com