TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » UK vs North Carolina will be speed vs speed

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UK vs North Carolina will be speed vs speed
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-21-2018 04:05 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Speed is the signature strategy of UNC Coach Roy Williams. UK fans of a certain age might recall that he guided Kansas to a 150-95 victory over Kentucky on Dec. 9, 1989. The Jayhawks’ glorified layup line set a scoring record for a UK opponent.

When asked to label Williams’ offensive philosophy, Calipari said, “They play fast. They get it upcourt in a hurry.”

Freshman point guard Coby White speeds the ball up the floor for North Carolina, which through games on Wednesday ranked third nationally in scoring (94.3 points per game).

“He is a rocket,” said Mike Pratt, the ex-Cat who does color commentary on radio broadcasts of Kentucky games. “He gets down the floor. Oh my gosh, he’s very aggressive and pushes the envelope in transition. There’s no hesitance with him. He’s driving that ball up the middle of the floor if you let him, and he’s doing it as fast as he can.”

Of course, speed can lead to turnovers. Through games on Wednesday, North Carolina’s average of 14 turnovers per game ranked No. 212 nationally. In their last game, the Tar Heels turned it over 23 times against No. 1 Gonzaga.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-21-2018 07:58 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Did NOT like Ashton Hagan's response in the video clip on that page. When asked if the team had something to prove by beating a highly ranked team, he said

quote:
I just want to make a name for myself <pause> and for my team

The latter part was clearly an afterthought.

Not good.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13618 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 12-21-2018 11:28 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not sure where they get that it will be speed on speed because, in my opinion, this is one of the slowest Kentucky teams I have seen in a while. I don't think the guards on this team are exceptionally fast or quick, especially with the ball. Tyler Hero is by far the most competent with the ball in his hands, and I would like to see him run the point some with Johnson and Baker on the wings. Granted, I know Baker is still an unknown commodity, but I think they is a chance that those three could pose a triple threat from the three point line that would create some space for Reid Travis and PJ Washington to work. It would remind of of the 1990/1991 GA Tech team that made it to the final four.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2254 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 12-21-2018 11:29 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:
Did NOT like Ashton Hagan's response in the video clip on that page. When asked if the team had something to prove by beating a highly ranked team, he said

quote:
I just want to make a name for myself <pause> and for my team

The latter part was clearly an afterthought.

Not good.

Agreed, not good at all. We have found the enemy and it is us.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 12-22-2018 03:05 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with Ga Cat, this is not one of the Cats quickest teams in the Cal era. You rarely ever see them run a fast break, most of their points are in half court sets. No one has outstanding speed on this team.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 12-23-2018 12:56 AM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SCWC:
I agree with Ga Cat, this is not one of the Cats quickest teams in the Cal era. You rarely ever see them run a fast break, most of their points are in half court sets. No one has outstanding speed on this team.

Well, after watching this game, I have to change my assessment. I don't think this is the quickest team in the world, but they can certainly push the pace if they want to. I wish Cal would open it up and push it more. This was a joy to watch. They played with a pace and cohesiveness that I haven't seen all year. Hagan was just fabulous. He is developing into a lock down defender and floor general that could rival that of Wayne Turner. He was just tenacious today. I hope this is a harbinger of things to come.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 12-23-2018 05:33 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Me too Ga Cat.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com