TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Why time out was not called.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why time out was not called.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 12-09-2018 08:43 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
https://www.aseaofblue.com/2018/12/8/18132235/college-basketball-john-calipari-timeout-final-play-seton-hall-kentucky

I'm not happy with that explanation. While it's true that a player has to call time out in a live ball situation , he had plenty of time to get a players attention to have them call a time out. Of course we may have called a play that didn't allow us to get the wonderful look that we did.

Posts: 5407 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 12-09-2018 09:32 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Handy, I listened to Cal after the game on the radio and did not like his response to why no time out was called on that last play. He clearly stated it was the players responsibility to call the time out. Normally coaches who are on top of the game will signal to their team to call time out in that situation, something Cal failed to do. Down by only one point, that should have been a drive to the basket in hopes of making a layup or getting fouled, neither of which happened. I thought Hagan did a very bad job of not even rushing the ball up the floor with the 9 seconds to go also.

I personally think Cal is starting to blame the players for what might be some of his own short comings. We are not a very good team on either the defensive or offensive end of the floor. I watched a ton of games yesterday and by the standards of the teams I saw play, we are not a top 25 team this season, at least not right now. I fear our talent level has dropped off the charts this year and that we just do not have the players to be a real good team.

I am still trying to figure out what kind of offense they are running. About all I ever see is a three man weave out front with the ball being handled out there for up to 20 seconds on occasions. These young men have played a lot of basketball in their lives and should be much more basketball savvy that they are currently showing us as fans.

[ 12-09-2018, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 12-09-2018 10:17 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I listened to Cal post-game and he said they drew up a play in the timeout before SH hit the winning 3-pointer. So they already had a play drawn up, but when SH scored no one ran the play. Face it, we don't have the smartest team in the league. I like Cal's plan - have a play already drawn up and don't call a timeout and let the other team set up. The players are the ones who have to execute. Our players should've been smart enough to realize the play wasn't there and maybe they should've called a timeout. I won't put this one solely on coach Cal.
Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 12-09-2018 11:23 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From KSR, cal's after game comments:

quote:

“That last play, we talked about, if they make a shot, here’s what we’re doing on our end. And Nick, you’re going to be in the middle. If they make a shot, this is how we’re doing it. Nick ran the sideline, but the issue was, I probably should have called a timeout. You can’t call a timeout because the players have to call a timeout. They’ve gotta call it anyways but again, that inexperience, not being in that situation, that’s something we haven’t worked on.” Cal said the plan for the last play was for Nick to set a screen in the middle of the court, but that didn’t happen and the play broke down. “Nick was supposed to be in the middle of the court setting a ball screen on the run so we could get something at the rim or something wide open. Nick ran a fly over. If you watched, I tried to push him into the middle of the court. I was on the court. ‘Go to the middle of the court!’ And then probably should have just — me personally — should have just screamed timeout because then we’re broke down then. Should have just called it. But again, even if I called it, a player would have had to hear me and make that call.”
quote:

I just feel personally that Cal did nothing at the end of the game to really help his team win in that situation. Good coaches always call time out with that little time left on the clock.
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 12-09-2018 12:20 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Remember when we were down 17 to Dook and they were out of timeouts. Tubby coached the last 5-10 minutes of the game without calling timeout because he didn't want Dook to get together. Tubby worked coach K like a rib that game.

You know, some times it works and some times it doesn't. If Cal called timeout and we still lost the other 50% would be saying, "why did he call timeout and give them a chance to set up?"

I think we learned a lot about this team by that last play. There is absolutely no leader among the freshman and sophomores on this team. Most of Cal's teams would've gotten to the rim or at least in the paint during that last play. Our players were clueless.

Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-09-2018 12:26 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Watching the video of the last possession by Seton Hall, and then our futile final possession, coupled with Cal's comments leads me to understand why Richards gets so little PT.

Richards was 10-12 feet away from his man at the top of the arc when the ball was passed to him... he rushed him, but because he was completely out of position, PJ slid over and left his man.. who promptly received the pass and scored. The defensive breakdown was 100% on Richards.

Then, according to Cal, Richards was supposed to come down and set a screen on high in the paint. Clearly, Ashton was waiting for Richards, which is why he was bringing the ball up so slowly. Richards can then be seen trotting up the far sideline -- he never remembered his key role in the planned play. So, Ashton had to figure something out at the last second...which clearly was never intended to be a desperation 3-pointer.

I can understand Cal's frustration with Richards. Just in that sequence, he flubbed up twice. And in doing so, he cost us the game.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 12-09-2018 02:26 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Our problem is we don't have a true point guard. I believe for this team to be great we need someone to take charge like a shae gilgeous Alexander or a Brandon knight did. Tyler Herro is the only guard willing to drive it to the basket. Maybe Cal should give him a chance at point guard.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9796 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-09-2018 08:29 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I said it earlier that Herro is the only one who handles the ball like a point guard. What do we expect when other teams signed all the top players Cal wanted. He is having to settle for what the Dukes, etc don't want. Richards was a big mistake just because he was tall and Cal didn't get the tall ones he wanted. We might as well face it, He is not king of the mountain anymore. Too many kids are not believing he will get them ready for the NBA better than some such as K.
Posts: 14171 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-09-2018 08:55 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The fact that we have all said this team isn't that smart of team is even more reason to call a timeout. And I really don't like the fact that Cal is putting the blame on Nick for running the sideline. A coach shouldn't call out a specific player to the media in that situation. I have never liked how Cal has done that. He should have been signaling to the guys to get a timeout, and should have said in the previous timeout that if they scored get the ball to half court and call a timeout. I put that last play more on him than the players. You have to know your team and he should have known to get a timeout. To me it even looked like all the players were looking for a timeout, or what to do. None of them hurried down the floor, they all seemed to move slowly to me. The players play the game, but the coaches have to make game plans that fit their players. I don't feel as if Cal is doing that. If he coaches this team like every other team it will not end up being a very good season.
Posts: 5441 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-10-2018 11:19 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
UKman, Cal put in the offensive play in his previous time-out. Richards was the lynchpin of the play (he was supposed to come set a high screen and allow one of the guards to drive to the bucket), and he apparently forgot. Because he didn't even hurry down the floor, the others were stuck waiting for him. Then he just trots down the sideline instead of setting the high screen.

By the time it was obvious that the set play wasn't working, it was too late.

I don't like calling out players either, but this was clearly on the players. Just watch the video clip... It is hard not to call out Nick. He completely blew his defensive assignment, leading to a score, and then forgot the offensive play Cal had put in. Ball game.

Of course, there were many reasons we lost the game, but that last sequence was completely botched.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 12-10-2018 12:23 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why would a coach who has a two point lead with some 20 seconds to go in the game call an offensive play that may or may not be needed, depending on whether his team could get a defensive stop. I think Cal is full of crap on this myself and is accusing players instead of dealing with his shortcomings as a bench coach. I am happy to have Cal as our coach but fear the game is starting to pass him by. He needs to start recruting three point shooters and running a three point offense like most successful college teams are doing today. If Cal did indeed call a play in the event the other team scored, he was inserting a negative to their defense in my opinion. I would have said we win with our defense, we have a two point lead. Defensively just make sure we don't give them a three point basket. It is easy for me to make this assertion because I was not there in the huddle with the team and am sure none of them are going to speak out on this topic.

[ 12-10-2018, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 12-10-2018 01:53 PM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I personally think most of the blame goes to the coaching staff. Its their job to motivate the players and play with the highest intensity like most of our opponents play. I can’t believe so many people keep blaming Cal for not getting the No 1 recuiting class as the reason for our struggles. My God we still got the No. 2 class and critics act like we got the 25th. Theres no way you can strike out on 4 Mcdonald all Americans, maybe one. Heck there are teams that have non or not even have a 4 star that can beat us. Again, this is coaching! I can understand that there can be a player that has a tough time learning the system and gelling with the team but not the whole class. Also, don’t forget we got 3 sophomores back and then a grad transfer and still can’t beat an unranked Seton Hall team. Just embarrassing! Other than Texas A&M & SC every other team in SEC can beat us.
Posts: 1497 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 12-10-2018 04:11 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This quote by Cal that he had called an offensive play at the end of the game just does not make any sense to me. The opponent had called time out, two points behind Kentucky with less than 30 seconds to go. One would think Cal would have been discussing defense and how they were going to play the last posession for Seton Hall rather than assuming they were going to score and he was going to need a quick offensive play to either win the game or go into overtime. This defies all coaching logic to me. At this point, he should have been emphasising nothing but getting a stop or stopping a three point attempt and not concerned with his next offensive play which will not take place if he takes care of things defensively????? VERY CONFUSED by this.
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 12-10-2018 04:43 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ray I don't know his mind set at the time but coaches will call a series of "what if" plays to make sure his players know what will happen if the opponent scores or not.

We do that at the H.S. level and would assume college players would understand what play to run.

However, a single screen by a big at the top and assuming a player would get open and score is a very low percentage play imo. Since Richards can not shoot there would be no reason for SH to switch and not enough time for us to get to the hoop..
(a dbl screen on either side and a 10 footer might have worked however)

All in all Hagans should have called TO if u was so unsure.. (imo)

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 12-10-2018 04:57 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm still on the Calipari bandwagon, but I do believe the wheels could use a little axle grease.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 12-10-2018 05:12 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed, I know exactly what you are saying, but under the circumstances, with a young team, that time out should have been concentrating on defense, knowing you still have two time outs in your pocket for offense if you need them. It has been a lot of years since I coached but when we did, we only set up plays for the next defensive or offensive sets, not planning for a defensive and offensive set. That is a wee bit too much for a young team to fathom under the circumstances. Remember, all they had played after the Duke loss was 7 no name teams in Rupp arena which certainly did little to develop the game skills and situations needed by this young team. I too am still a Cal fan, but just think he is not telling the truth on this particular situation and if he is telling the truth, he let his team down by putting too much on them under the circumstances.

And isn't most What If plays set plays that you have practiced before???? This is very confusing because there was little to no defense on Hagans bring the ball down the floor on that last posession and he apparently wanted Richards to set a high screen in the middle of the floor around mid court for him to use to lose his defender. I have watched this last sequence a dozen times and it just does not set well with me from a coaching standpoint.

Good point Norm, I too am still a Cal fan, but as a fan, I second guess him from time to time, especially in losses where we should have won.

[ 12-10-2018, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 12-10-2018 05:16 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Me too Norm and SCWC. I'm still a fan. I do think he blew that by not calling a time out. That would have been an obvious place for it. Like Cal said, he should have called a time out when he saw that play going to hell.

The only thing that would have made that last shot better was if Ashton had done a back flip before letting it fly.

[ 12-10-2018, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5407 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com