TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Is Rupp Arena the best home court advantage?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Rupp Arena the best home court advantage?
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 09-03-2018 11:24 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Forgetting last season’s dip in attendance, Rupp Arena plays to a constant sell-out for almost every single game despite the opponent. Kentucky fans are loud, passionate and are on their feet even in the nose bleeds where Cal’s troops look like ants.

Let’s not forget Big Blue Madness either, where people camp outside for days just to get tickets to see a pep rally and their team play a scrimmage.

Not having a professional team in Lexington certainly boosts the fandom for the Wildcats, but Calipari’s success on the hardwood drives the obsession even more.

As a journalist, even walking into Rupp Arena gets the juices flowing. For other teams, the intimidation of playing one of the best teams in college basketball on their home court where the fans are as passionate as anywhere has to be off the charts.

In fact, while Calipari respectfully has the highest-winning percentage in Kentucky basketball history, Rupp Arena has always been a strong home court.

Per 247Sports, since Adolph Rupp’s departure, there hasn’t been a coach who won less than 70% of his games. A troubled Billy Gillispie managed to post a 27-10 record, proving that even with sub-par talent Rupp Arena gave the Cats an edge at home.

Next was Eddie Sutton coming in next at a much improved 53-9 and then Tubby Smith at 119-19. The great Joe B. Hall went 122-14 and Rick Pitino 107-7.

However, while Pitino is close, he didn’t produce the 150-8 record that Calipari is still improving going into this season.

With the help of the Rupp Arena crowd, along with a string full of talent, Kentucky is poised to dominate their home schedule once again.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 09-23-2018 06:20 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i do not think that RUPP is the best home court advantage.

The schools, that put their student body on the floor, all around the court to make it a very hostile environment, are the ones that utilize the home court advantage to the fullest.

As a Kentucky fan, I am glad that they finally made the inside of RUPP all blue and painted over those awful red triangles in the rafters. For some unknown reason, they started off with multi colored seating and those stupid red triangles and just recently wised up and changed them.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 09-24-2018 10:20 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The best home court advantage is me sitting in front of my widescreen, relaxing in my recliner watching the game. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 09-24-2018 10:37 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama, after sitting in the rain Saturday night surrounded by a bunch of loud mouth drunks, I agree. Sorry I didn't get to meet you.
Posts: 5408 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com