TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Projecting the Cats starting line-up

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projecting the Cats starting line-up
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-17-2018 03:20 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PG-Immanuel Quickley was the first guy to sign in the 2018 class, and Big Blue Nation has been preparing to see him lead for quite some time. But with the addition of Ashton Hagans, who is significantly taller and more athletic, and considering that Calipari pushed Hagans to come a year early, you have to think that Hagans will get the nod at the point.

SG-While he has strongly denied transfer rumors, many believed Quade Green may move on after he saw this loaded back court class coming in. But what really kept him here?

I am sure Calipari did not promise him a starting role, but I do believe that it makes the most sense for him to start at the two. He shoots the ball at a high percentage, moves well without the ball, and defends bigger than his height would suggest.

The other option to start here would be Quickley, but I believe Cal will rely on him to handle more point guard responsibilities than Green. Having a definitive backup point guard will be a big deal to this team, and for that reason I think Quickley comes off of the bench.

Small Forward

Keldon Johnson is really the only prototypical three on the team, and even he could slide into the two if needed. Johnson starting at this position is one of the only certainties in the starting lineup.

Tyler Herro could see some time at the three as well depending on who is playing the two. We could also see some bigger sets on the court where PJ Washington is pulled out to stretch the floor, but with so many strong guards in the lineup that will be more of a rarity.

Power Forward Besides Johnson, the only other lock in the starting lineup is PJ Washington. He did not turn down a potential guaranteed contract to come back to Kentucky and come off of the bench. And given the workout videos we have seen, he continues to grow into more of the player Calipari wants him to be.

Center-Nick Richards started 37 games last season, but unless there are injuries I do not see him starting at all this season. I think he is behind Travis and Montgomery at the five, but can play alongside any of them when they are in at the four.

Link

[ 08-19-2018, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 08-17-2018 03:25 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My guess:
PG Quickley
SG Green
C Richards
SF Washington
PF Johnson

As much talent as this team has, starting isn’t that big a deal. Several players will get lots of PT. God Big Blue!!!

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 08-17-2018 04:47 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My starting five after what happened in the Bahamas would be:

Quickley
Herro
Johnson
Washington
Travis

We are solid on the perimeter. Hagans and Green would get a lot of time rotating in at either guard slot. Herro (shooter) or Hagans (slasher) could slide over to the '3' to spell Johnson. Hopfully Baker will be ready to play as well, adding another shooter to the mix.

In the paint, Richards and Montgomery will get floor time spelling Washington and Travis, but I would be shocked to see either one start. The two-man game between PJ and Reid is really good -- reminds me of some of our great inside duos of the past. PJ is thriving playing that high post!

[ 08-17-2018, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13621 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-17-2018 09:59 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip, I think Herro starts too, like those shooters and Herro can shoot...

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-18-2018 07:58 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Remember, I have inside information.

PG - Richards
SG - Travis
C - Calipari
SF - Green
PF - Zan Payne (Zan has really came around since the Bahamas)

Cal and I will reevaluate this lineup after Big Blue Madness.

[ 08-18-2018, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5400 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 08-18-2018 09:30 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by handycat:
Remember, I have inside information.

PG - Richards
SG - Travis
C - Calipari
SF - Green
PF - Zan Payne (Zan has really came around since the Bahamas)

Cal and I will reevaluate this lineup after Big Blue Madness.

Just why would you start Green over Johnny David???

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36269 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 08-18-2018 09:35 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
handy and I sometimes disagree but I can not go against insider info. Brad was a little bit of a surprise but he did bounce one in during the Bahamas trip..

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-18-2018 10:51 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just why would you start Green over Johnny David???

--------------------

Sorry Norm, I'm not at allowed to divulge that information at this time. There would be a real possibility of it affecting the betting line in Vegas.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-19-2018 10:47 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Handycats lineup makes as much sense as one I would pick. I don't see a way to determine that from what we saw in those 4 games. Johnson and Herro are two that I would want to start unless things change from what we saw in those games. PG could be a toss up. The two inside guys are still to be decided. I'll have to see how Montgomery does before I award those spots. You almost have to give one to Washington because he came back. Travis is making too many mistakes inside, Richards or Montgomery could be the board defender.
Posts: 14159 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 08-20-2018 06:35 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I see 10 different players with the potential to start!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123983 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-20-2018 12:03 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We are deep no doubt about it.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 08-21-2018 06:18 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Calipari is probably the only 1 out of the top 10 who wouldn't start.

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 08-21-2018 07:51 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Baker is able to play and is as talented as he is supposed to be, Calipari will not be one of the top ten players on the team.

[ 08-21-2018, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-21-2018 12:57 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Look for Cal to disguise the platoon system in some manner. We definitely have enough for a platoon unless we were deceived by the 4 games we watched. He may move them in and out in groups of 3 but I still see it as a platoon unless some of them falter between now and the first of the year.
Posts: 14159 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-21-2018 05:32 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama, that certainly is a good possibility and we will just have to wait and see how Cal plays this talented, deep team.

--------------------

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 08-21-2018 06:10 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Platoon system in basketball is normally considered substituting five players for five players on the floor. I don't see Cal doing that with this team. He has openly said he will never use the platoon system again and I for one, tend to believe him. He may have a game where his starters are not playing up to what he considers their best and take all five out for a new five to get their attention but that will be a rarity if it ever happens.

[ 08-21-2018, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 08-22-2018 06:28 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When you pull all 5 players off the floor at the same time it's like starting the game new again. No one on the floor has already experienced the flow and rhythm of the game!

--------------------

ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 08-22-2018 10:53 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am not for the platoon system, but I am for playing 9-10 of our talented guys. I think it gives you the ability to wear teams down because you are always having fresh bodies on the floor. I also think it allows you to go with whoever happens to be hot that night, what group is clicking, and it gives you multiple ways to come at a team offensively and defensively. If guys are getting playing time it will also keep competition for time at a high level, which means guys are pushing each other to get better. This has the potential to be a really, really good team, and I think there are easily 9 guys that are deserving of playing time. Starters could change depending on performance, and depending on match ups. Can't wait for the season to get here.
Posts: 5438 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-22-2018 12:25 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If the personal permits, I like an eight man rotation at maximum. I realize with this you may have some deserving people with limited playing time but I believe you will have an overall better team on the floor.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-22-2018 07:02 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You can bet Cal will know his players and their capabilities. He will know what players play well with each other and use them accordingly. It's going to be a fun year to be Kentucky fans.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com