TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Don't get too excited

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Don't get too excited
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-13-2018 11:11 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow! did we play great or what! But don't get too overly excited yet. These were exhibition games, with no fouls to worry about. Good thing because some guys would have fouled out.
We got some great players on this team but we haven't played Duke, Kansas, Auburn, Tenn, etc. After some of those games we can reevaluate our status.

Right now we have some things I've noticed that may not be as good as we think. Richards is going to be tested under fire and I'm not all that sure how he will perform against these teams.

Travis scored a lot of points late in the game but he did shoot poorly in the early parts of these games. The angles he was shooting at in the close shots looked horrible. Hope he will be more accustomed to the team by October.

It will be interesting to see if Baker and Montgomery come out of here with their injuries healed.

We definitely got some guys who will probably be deserving of 20 mins per game. It may not be a platoon team but there should be at least enough of them to make up two platoons. So far so good on the minutes played by these guys but if Cal as to add Baker and Montgomery to the mix because of their play it could be a platoon team without calling it a platoon team.

I tend to get excited from these 4 games but I am trying to temper it by holding off until October.

Posts: 14112 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-13-2018 11:29 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry Bama, these 4 exhibition games have me Excited almost as much as my wedding night. But you're right, we need to temper our enthusiasm a bit.

The only bad thing about these games is we now have to wait weeks before seeing them again.

[ 08-13-2018, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 08-13-2018 12:19 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think we had several advantages over the teams that we played:

(1) Raw, young talent. These minor euro-league teams have one or two stars, and the rest are lesser quality players. We have a boatload of talent that they had no answer to.
(2) Better conditioning. The last 10 minutes of each game saw UK pull away strongly.

So, no, I am not getting TOO excited. But I do like this team better than any team since the 2012 champs. The players have bought in early, and it shows (assists-to-made-baskets is a great indicator of this). We have all the pieces to complete the puzzle -- strong inside play, great rebounding, multiple reliable shooters, guards who can create their own shot off the dribble, athleticism and length, willingness to play defense, and unselfishness. It will be a fun year.

[ 08-13-2018, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13590 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 08-13-2018 12:51 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm so excited about how far this team is right now compared to others. I know all the pieces are there and the kids are playing very controlled and unselfish. Bring on Dook and Kansas!!!
Posts: 10320 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 08-13-2018 01:04 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wish the season started now, I bought final four tickets in 2012 before the season started because I just believed they were going to win it all, and I feel like that this year. The defense they played made a believer out of me. Granted these weren't puke or Kansas but they haven't even practiced defense yet and once they do look out.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com