TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » First Impressions 1st Bahama game

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First Impressions 1st Bahama game
ALA_KAT2
Player
Member # 1559

posted 08-08-2018 09:31 PM      Profile for ALA_KAT2   Email ALA_KAT2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
** Richards much improved - he will be a big help this year if he can stay out of foul trouble.
** Herro looked smooth on offense, especially on the mid-range jumpers.
** Travis is a very good rebounder but struggled with putting the ball in the hoop.
** Washington underperformed. Need more from him.
** Johnson and Montgomery will vastly improve with experience. Have to get acclimated to college game.
** Quickly, Hagans played like kids just out of high school. Hope they can improve their shooting and decision-making.
** Green looked good at times but also missed too many threes like everybody else.
** Three point shooting will improve. How can it not after a 2-17 performance?
** It's going to be a fun year, but DEFENSE must improve.

[ 08-08-2018, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: ALA_KAT2 ]

--------------------
Adair CHS 1966/USAF/WKU/AT&T

GO BIG BLUE!

Posts: 4046 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-08-2018 09:54 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sloppy game but you would expect that. Lots of room for improvement but this is AUGUST. I have to admit I'm pretty excited.

Brad Calipari might actually have a legitimate role as a spot player on this team if they are as poor as shooting the three as it appeared tonight.

Herro is a much better athlete than I thought. I too was disappointed with Washington's play but also thought Richards looked good. I was a little disappointed with the play of Travis and I just can't ever seeing him being anything but a back to the basket type guy but his maturity should help.

Posts: 5407 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 08-08-2018 10:20 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm working and didn't get to watch it. The shooting will come, what I want to know is, did anyone dominate the glass, and did we block many shots?

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9794 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 08-08-2018 10:41 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
shot blocking was good ronnie but they were short - maybe 6 8 or so..... But Richards looked good blocking and Reid looked good on the boards. Washington was ho hum..

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 08-09-2018 01:41 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukcatfannfl:
shot blocking was good ronnie but they were short - maybe 6 8 or so..... But Richards looked good blocking and Reid looked good on the boards. Washington was ho hum..

Thank you

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9794 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
jerseycat
Player
Member # 9

posted 08-09-2018 06:15 AM      Profile for jerseycat   Email jerseycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good review by ALA_KAT2.

Herro will be a fan favorite for sure.

Most impressed by Richards' play.

My biggest take away was 23 of 29 from the line.

Announcers.....were they even watching the game.

I know not all that important, but I just don't like the black unis.

--------------------
UK Class of 1968

Posts: 1791 | From: Red Bank, NJ | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 08-09-2018 07:30 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Disappointed in Green's play.

Three point shooting is a big concern, imo. The outside shooting should go up, when the players pass out to the open man, instead of driving into a crowd.

None of the new players wowed me. Hope that will change when the season starts.

There are so few athletic white boys and even fewer that go to UK. So, when one comes along, he has to be compared to Rex by the announcer. Hero is way better than Sheppard and he is definitely not Rex. I think he will be a great player. I don't care what color a kid is, as long as he can play.

[ 08-09-2018, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 08-09-2018 08:29 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First game - it was about what i expected. The second half looked like one of those AAU games and it was hard to tell anything from it.

The only person I really worried about coming in was Herro. And now my worries are gone! He is the most advanced of all the freshman right now. His aggressiveness made him look like a junior. I think he could be a starter this year.

Richards surprised me. Hopefully we see a lot more of last night's play out of him.

Travis has me scratching my head, but I think his poor offense could be because of playing with a whole new team. I think he'll definitely pan out.

The other freshman were freshman. They will improve.

PJ and Green were basically non-existent. I don't think that'll be the case this year, though.

Posts: 10346 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 08-09-2018 08:38 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I loved what I saw out of Johnson. More than ready to compete at this level. He just didn't finish at the rim, but he could get there at will in my opinion. He also has a nice looking shot and can create a shot anytime he wants for himself or others. He also brings a toughness to this team that hasn't been there in a while.

Herro looked much better than the clips I saw on-line from his time in high school. You can tell that he is ultra competitive and my guess is he and Johnson are making one another better everyday in practice. Very impressed by his game at both ends.

PG play wasn't the best on the offensive end, but I liked the on-ball defensive pressure of Hagans and Quickley and Green seems improved in that area as well.

Reid is impressive on the glass. Stanford played him away from the basket more from the clips that I have seen so he needs to get acclimated to Cal's offense.

Montgomery is ultra talented, Richards look much improved, and I thought PJ was solid as well.

[ 08-09-2018, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-09-2018 09:10 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Agree with most of above. If I had to pick a starting five from last nights game it would be:

Richards, Travis, Herro, Quickly and Johnson.

Posts: 14170 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 08-09-2018 04:58 PM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was really impressed with Richards play too. He definitely looked like he was in the workout room during the offseason. I believe Herro will get plenty of playing time and possibly start some games. He is very talented and has that will to win attitude.
Posts: 1497 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 08-09-2018 05:39 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Richards needs to be more of a factor on the boards, he only had three rebounds last night which was a concern to me since he was by far the tallest player on the floor. His offensive game certainly looked better last night than it did any time last year so hopefully he has improved every aspect of his game over last season.

I was really impressed with the on the ball defense of Hagans, he is going to be someone to fear by guards from other teams this season. He is already an established defensive player.

I thought everyone looked pretty good last night considering it was their first game together. This group appear to have the talent to go a long way assuming they get some outside shooting. 2 for 20 from behind the arc will cost them games unless they show drastic improvement in that department. That was what killed last years team.

[ 08-09-2018, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-09-2018 05:45 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good post by ALA_KAT2.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com