TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Met the nicest guy in the airport...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Met the nicest guy in the airport...
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 08-02-2018 01:04 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was flying from New York to Atlanta last week, and noticed a familiar face standing and chatting with a few people. I walked over and waited patiently until the conversation ended and the small group left me alone with...

Tubby Smith.

He is a gracious, friendly man. We had a brief conversation and I left feeling like I just had a chat with an old friend more than with a major figure in UK history.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13612 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 08-02-2018 02:09 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've always liked Tubby. He gave me his UK lapel pin after a UK vs. AU game once. He was on his way to the team bus and I was getting his autograph when I noticed the pin, I said cool pin, he looked at me took it off and said here you go.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9779 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-02-2018 07:01 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tubby is all class!

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 08-03-2018 11:12 AM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Agree, I always thought he had exceptional class.
Posts: 1497 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 08-03-2018 11:17 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A buddy of mine met him at a hotel in Vegas some years ago and got a photo with him. Said he was just the nicest guy.
Posts: 10336 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 08-04-2018 03:15 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have heard good and bad stories about him. Since my stories are just hearsay.

He had a good run as HC of the program. It lasted several years too long. UK was not relevant, in has later years.

Had they hired Donovan, I think the program would have been better off. I have never been a fan of Donovan, though.

It is the narrow mindedness that cost them in the first place. Had to hire somebody with UK ties. That is a load of crap. When you are one of the top programs of all time, you don't narrow your search to those parameters.

[ 08-06-2018, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 08-04-2018 04:40 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have always had great respect for Tubby.
Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-04-2018 06:27 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
AP College Coach of the Year (2003)
Naismith College Coach of the Year (2003)
NABC Coach of the Year (2003)
Henry Iba Award (2003)
Jim Phelan Award (2005)
2× MVC Coach of the Year (1994, 1995)
3× SEC Coach of the Year (1998, 2003, 2005)
Big 12 Coach of the Year (2016)[4]
John R. Wooden Legends of Coaching Award (2016)
Sporting News National Coach of the Year (2016)

In his 27 years as a head coach, Smith has achieved 25 winning seasons. In 2005, he joined Roy Williams, Nolan Richardson, Denny Crum and Jim Boeheim as the only head coaches to win 365 games in 15 seasons or fewer. With Texas Tech's invitation to the 2016 NCAA Tournament, Smith became only the second coach in history to lead five different teams to the NCAA tournament.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 08-04-2018 11:49 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I won't rain on the man crush that is going on.
Man crush? Really?

I said I met a major figure from UK history, and found him to be a nice man. I made no comment on his success or failure as a coach. I did not fawn over his character. I merely reported an unexpected meeting with someone we all would be familiar with.

Sometimes, Boom, you seem to want to rub people the wrong way. What did that gain you?

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13612 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 08-05-2018 02:10 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He does not go down as one of the best coaches that UK has ever had.

1. Rupp

2. Caipari

3. Pitino ,,,I can't stand Pitino.....but I have to rank him #3

Joe Hall and Tubby can fight it out in the middle of the pack coaches.

I will restate it again. He stayed way too long, and furthermore, the athletics department let him hang around way too long.

By the way, he left like a thief in the night and had a back door deal with another school, 6 months before it happened.

How terrible was the AD? He was caught with his pants down and made a terrible hire in Billy Clyde.

What has he done since he left UK? It seems like none of his other schools wanted to keep him around.

If I were a Bulldog alum and fan, I would probably say how lucky my school was to have Tubby as the coach, until he left for a bigger program.

I measure coaches by what they accomplish, not if they are willing to talk to me at the airport or sign an autograph.

[ 08-06-2018, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 08-05-2018 06:13 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
boom i cant speak for tip of course but I took his comment as to how nice tubby the "man" is nothing to do with coaching at ky. I talked with tubby several times and he is very approachable unlike most of the self centered coaches are. He is a nice person no more no less!

p.s. to add my thoughts of tubby being the coach at ky (especially now days) requires one to be a great recruiter and a great coach. Tubby failed as a recruiter at ky but his x and o's made up somewhat for that aspect of the game. His overall style (recruiting/x-o)is great for GA and Minn type teams but not for blue bloods like ky. duke, nc and KU..

Still however he is a very very nice man! as is his whole family

[ 08-05-2018, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: ukcatfannfl ]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 08-05-2018 08:27 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Boom, sounds to me that you have some suppressed feelings, if you took us talking about how nice of a person Tubby is for having a man crush.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9779 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 08-06-2018 08:57 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
boom i cant speak for tip of course but I took his comment as to how nice tubby the "man" is nothing to do with coaching at ky. I talked with tubby several times and he is very approachable unlike most of the self centered coaches are. He is a nice person no more no less!

p.s. to add my thoughts of tubby being the coach at ky (especially now days) requires one to be a great recruiter and a great coach. Tubby failed as a recruiter at ky but his x and o's made up somewhat for that aspect of the game. His overall style (recruiting/x-o)is great for GA and Minn type teams but not for blue bloods like ky. duke, nc and KU..

Still however he is a very very nice man! as is his whole family

Agree 100%. Well, maybe 99.93%. Anyways, spot on.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 08-06-2018 11:10 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I draw the line with the Bobby KNights and Sean Woods of the coaching world. Besides those kinds of people, I judge a coach by wins, losses, and post season accomplishments.

Tubby may be the nicest person a stranger would ever want to meet in an airport.

He was not nice to the program, imho. He sunk it down to irrelevancy. He put his kid before the program. I didn't agree with Eddie Sutton doing it and I didn't agree with Tubby doing it. Neither of their kids should have been starters.
Yes, both of their sons had more talent than Cal's kid, but they still should not have been starters at UK.

I will take a snob at the airport that doesn't start his kid at my D1 school over a nice guy who doesn't care about winning and recruiting the best players to achieve that goal. When you start your kid, who clearly shouldn't be a starter, the top talent doesn't want to join your team.

[ 08-06-2018, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 08-06-2018 12:19 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Get off it boom. Tip wasnt talking basketball period,,,

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 08-06-2018 02:54 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed
quote:
Tip wasnt talking basketball period
I fact checked this boom, and, as much as Ed and me fuss, I gotta hand him this'n.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 08-06-2018 08:19 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess I was a little hostile with the "man crush". If I would have left that out, would there have been a stir? That is the way I felt about it, but I should have kept that to myself. Wasn't my intention to be mean spirited, but it may have come across that way. I will try to do better. Would have said the same thing in a bar or at a tailgate. Haven't been punched yet. But, there is always a first time.

[ 08-06-2018, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com