TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Ranking top 5 greatest wins of all-time

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ranking top 5 greatest wins of all-time
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-27-2018 06:16 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
5. The game: No. 11 Kentucky 99, LSU 95, 1993-94 regular season.

Why the game is ranked: When you win a game in which you trailed by 31 in the second half, the magnitude of the accomplishment speaks for itself.

Kentucky coach: Rick Pitino

Why the game is ranked: When you win a game in which you trailed by 31 in the second half, the magnitude of the accomplishment speaks for itself.

The game: Kentucky 100, No. 12 LSU 95, 1989-90 regular season

The plot: LSU had Shaquille O’Neal, the hoops artist formerly known as Chris Jackson (now Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf), and another future NBA center in Stanley Roberts. With a roster ravaged by NCAA sanctions, Kentucky had eight scholarship players, none taller than 6-foot-7, and no business being within 20 points of LSU.

Yet behind 29 points from Derrick Miller and 24 from Deron Feldhaus, Kentucky produced magic and somehow won before 24,301 in Rupp Arena.

Why the game is ranked: The most inexplicable Kentucky basketball win ever. And, almost three decades later, still my all-time favorite UK game.

Kentucky coach: Rick Pitino

The game: Kentucky 78, No. 2 Wichita State 76, 2014 NCAA Tournament round of 32

The plot: Wichita State was 35-0, ranked No. 2 in the AP poll and a legitimate threat to win the NCAA championship. After an underachieving regular season, Kentucky was 25-10.

Before 19,676 at the ScottradeCenter in St. Louis, the Shockers shot 55.1 percent (27-of-49), hit 10 of 21 three-pointers and got huge games from stars Cleanthony Early (31 points) and Ron Baker (20) — and lost.

“Growing up” when it mattered most, Kentucky freshmen Andrew Harrison (20 points), Aaron Harrison (19), Julius Randle (13 and 10 rebounds) and James Young (13, the go-ahead trey inside the 1:30 mark) shocked the Shockers.

Why the game is ranked: In terms of two teams both playing at a high level, it’s the best NCAA Tournament game I’ve ever seen in person.

Kentucky coach: John Calipari

Scott Padgett celebrated after making a three-pointer that gave Kentucky the lead for good in an 86-84 victory over Duke in the NCAA Tournament South Region finals in St. Petersburg, Fla., on March 23, 1998.
Charles Bertram cbertram@herald-leader.com

The game: No. 5 Kentucky 86, No. 3 Duke 84, 1998 NCAA Tournament round of eight

The plot: Down 71-54 with 9:38 left in the game, Kentucky uncorked an NCAA Tournament rally for the ages behind the relentless penetration of junior point guard Wayne Turner (16 points, eight assists) and clutch three-point shooting from Heshimu Evans, Allen Edwards, Cameron Mills and Scott Padgett.

Why the game is ranked: In the first Kentucky-Duke meeting since Christian Laettner broke the hearts of The Unforgettables in the 1992 NCAA tourney, the 1998 Cats delivered an emphatic response to the Blue Devils on behalf of the Big Blue Nation.

Kentucky coach: Tubby Smith

The game: No. 5 Kentucky 92, No. 1 Indiana 90, 1975 NCAA Tournament round of eight

The plot: Indiana was 31-0 and had obliterated Kentucky 98-74 in a December meeting remembered for Hoosiers Coach Bobby Knight slapping UK head man Joe B. Hall in the back of the head in a gesture that was A.) playful (Knight’s version); B.) disrespectful (Hall’s).

With the Final Four at stake, Kentucky senior guards Mike Flynn (22 points) and Jimmy Dan Conner (17, five rebounds) came up huge to lead the Cats to sweet payback.

Why the game is ranked: In one win, Kentucky avenged an embarrassing prior defeat to an archrival. It spoiled the bid for a perfect season by a coach UK fans loathed. The Cats also earned a trip to the Final Four.

It’s going to be hard for any future Kentucky victory ever to top that.

Kentucky coach: Joe B. Hall

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 07-28-2018 12:22 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All good games that I watched. However, I did miss a lot of the 31 pt comeback against LSU. I got so mad I turned the TV off and then turned it back on late in the 2nd half.
Posts: 14162 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 07-28-2018 09:54 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can't say that I can agree with any of those. Greatest Victories 1-8 have to be the National Title Wins. Then you can start ranking the other games.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 07-29-2018 05:19 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is something that needs a lot of thought. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14162 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com