TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Early-thoughts on UK's starting 5

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Early-thoughts on UK's starting 5
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-18-2018 12:16 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The first thing that jumps out is there’s a lot of versatility with this roster, something Coach Calipari is well aware of. If Coach Cal wants to run 5 guards at the same time, he can do so. UK can also go big with a lineup of Hagans, Montgomery, Johnson, Washington, Richards, and Quickley, with each player being 6-3 or taller.

Another attractive feature of this roster is Calipari has flexibility regarding shooters. With Green, Herro, and Baker, UK can have at least one perimeter shooter on the floor at all times, a luxury that was absent from last year’s team.

Furthermore, UK can run all three shooters at the same time, coupled with a combination of Richards, Washington, and Montgomery at the forwards. Such a lineup would have little trouble creating enough space for the big men to go to work on the inside. It would also prevent teams from collapsing down on the bigs.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 06-18-2018 12:37 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Quade, hagans,PJ,travis,And Montgomery.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 06-18-2018 03:20 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Green, Herro, and Baker on the perimeter, with PJ and Travis (if he comes, else Montgomery) inside would be a pro-style team. Spacing and shot selection would make that a deadly combination.

Green, Hagan, , Johnson, and Richards would make an amazing dribble-drive team.

We could go big with Hagan, Herro, Johnson, two of the four from PJ/Travis/Montgomery/Richards

Yeah, it will be a heck of a lot of fun to see this team next year. I don't think there is a 'best five' out of that bunch. It will depend on the match-ups and who is "on" for a given game. It will be a coaching challenge for Cal to find the right combo at any given time. It could be a "run till you puke and call for a sub" kind of team... good luck to any other team trying to keep up!

[ 06-18-2018, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-19-2018 09:33 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Cats are going to be fun to watch with all their speed and size. We will wear a lot of teams down and win games in the last 10 minutes. Our options are many and you can bet Cal will use them all.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 06-19-2018 03:41 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lots of possibilities, but if Baker is as good a shooter as he is supposed to be, along with Herro; I would make sure at least i of those guys is on the floor alot. We need at least 1 guy on the floor that can be a knock down shooter. If teams try to zone have both in and kill them from the 3 point line. I am just praying that these 2 turn out to be true killers from outside. We need a guy, or 2, that can shoot 40% from the 3. Should be a real fun year.
Posts: 5420 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 06-19-2018 10:43 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We had two last yr and see where it got us. Shai 40.4 and Gabriel 39.7 (virtually 40)...

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 06-20-2018 09:33 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, 39.7 is not 40. JK
I didn't realize Shai and Gabriel were both that high. Of course Shai didn't shoot that many 3's. I think the key is to have at least 2 guys shoot 40% and take around 150 or more each.

Posts: 5420 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 06-20-2018 10:03 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
agree ukman [Smile]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com