TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Keep 2 out of 3?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Keep 2 out of 3?
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 05-22-2018 09:18 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would settle for this.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/kentucky-wildcats-basketball/2018/5/21/17376696/uk-jarred-vanderbilt-wenyen-gabriel-nba

Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 05-22-2018 09:32 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Handy as I stated in another post, this would worry me a lot as Vanderbelt may even not play due to injuries all the time and Weyand is sometimes there and sometimes not.. Very weak if we ONLY get them back and no one else comes in to pick up the front court..

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 05-22-2018 10:09 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're probably right but I would still "settle" for it. Having a couple of players back with a little experience can't hurt. I realize in Vanderbilt's case it would be very little experience. If he comes back and is injury free, there's the possibility he could be a real beast. In any case we would get back two players who play with real enthusiasm.
Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 05-22-2018 02:21 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just shake my head at the thought that they won't ALL be back. I don't think any of these three kids would make an NBA roster next year. But then again, the fact that they're pondering leaving tells me they have no interest in college.
Posts: 10322 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 05-22-2018 04:19 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think vanderbelt could easily make an NBA roster if healthy. Washington and Gabriela should both come back to work on their craft.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 05-22-2018 10:33 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is hard to project how a returning player will perform. Some go into what used to be called the "Sophomore slump", where their performance dropped off; others blossom and grow better in almost every category.

I think Cal is betting Richards really blossoms next year. He does have "bad hands", but that can be at least incrementally improved with strength training and focus. He also does not possess 'elite length'; his wingspan and standing reach are not proportional to his height. But he has the tools to be a good "Cal" center -- mobile, athletic, and willing to stay in the low post instead of drifting outside. Honestly, I think the guards did a crappy job last year of feeding him the ball when he was in a position to score, but when the did toss it in to him, he would all too often bobble it and turn it over.

Green should become a leader on the court, and a very reliable guard. I really like his calm demeanor and court vision. And, he can drop the three to keep the defense honest.

Washington looks like a modern Charles Barkley -- undersized, but with incredible rebounding instincts and an uncanny ability to score in the paint. He may never do well in the pros because of his lack of an outside game, but he can be a damn good college forward for three more years. [Smile]

Gabriel, as Ed points out, is unreliable. One game he will drop 7 3-pointers effortlessly, and the next he will clang 4 out of 5 off the rim. He does bring energy and hustle, which can be contagious, but he needs to up his game in the paint, both offensively and defensively. He clearly has the green light to launch 3-pointers, but Cal needs to remind him that he isn't a guard.

Vanderbilt is an enigma. Dynamic and energetic, great passer, uncanny rebounder, good defender, but one of the most injury-prone guys I can remember. And he seems to have NO offensive game. That can change with coaching, but the injury thing is a huge question mark.

Of the three potential forwards, I would prefer to get Washington back. He was reliable and effective, where Vanderbilt was too often hurt and Gabriel too often ineffective. The combination of Richards, Washington, and the new big guy will make an great college front-court. If the backcourt can match it, we should be in the hunt again for a deep tournament run.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 05-23-2018 02:44 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well said tiptree.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-24-2018 12:08 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think Vanderbilt will be leaving because he is still injured. He may need surgery I'm not convinced he will be ready to play....anywhere.
Posts: 14120 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com