TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » The checker board

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The checker board
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 05-10-2018 04:17 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why is there such a debate about the secretariat checker board on the basketball uniforms. I, myself personally love the uniforms. Am I alone, how does the catsdomain men feel about them?

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9798 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 05-10-2018 04:53 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They could play naked with a big blue K painted on their back and chest and I would be fine with that.
Posts: 5408 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 05-10-2018 06:08 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have never liked them myself and the university is now finding that many fans prefer they be gone. That is a Mitch Barnhart addition to the uniform that is not overly popular with the players and many fans. Several former players have spoken out against them and hopefully they will soon be a thing of history.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 05-10-2018 06:43 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Did anyone see about the Mitch Barnhart interview about the checkerboard unis, with one of the KSR people? It was either fake news, Barnhart was drunk, or he is an A hole.

Here's the KSR article:

KSR

[ 05-10-2018, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Old Norm ]

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 05-10-2018 06:57 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Choice #3 appears to be a possibility.

Matt ended the interview by asking why the athletic department has gone all in on the checkerboard motif, from the new court at Rupp to the widely panned new basketball uniforms. Mitch got a little defensive about the checkerboard, which honors Secretariat, and honestly, the whole exchange was a little awkward. “Well, it’s not ‘Checkerboard U,’ and you’re right, your opinion doesn’t matter that much to me, Matt,” he joked. “I’m just kidding. I appreciate your input.” Mitch then explained how the department is trying to align itself with Secretariat, to which Matt interrupted and pointed out that Secretariat wasn’t even born in Kentucky (he was born in Virginia). “I understand. Matt, here you go again. We like what he did, he ran a great race, he had a great career. So we align ourselves, there are people here locally we work with very closely with, so we’ve got that. He was one of the greatest that ever ran. So we’ve aligned ourselves with some silks that are sort of cool. Our players love it, our athletes like it and they like it on their uniforms.” Matt interrupted again to point out that the players have gone on record saying they DON’T like the checkerboard on the new uniforms. “Matt, it depends on who you ask. I’m not going to cut you off and I’m not going to argue — are we really arguing about uniforms, seriously?”

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 05-11-2018 05:16 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What does Secretariat have to do with Kentucky basketball, absolutely nothing. I would venture to say someone put some money in the pockets of mr Barnhart to make the uniform changes. I know former players over the past two season have not liked them, including Fox, Monk, Willis, Knox and Alexander this season. I never liked them the first time I saw them, I find the checkerboard pattern distracting but I am old school maybe?????
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 05-11-2018 06:49 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trying to tie ourselves to a winner? Wait, I thought we were already the winningest basketball program of all time. Why do we need to invoke a frickin' horse to improve our image as a winner?

Never did like the checkerboard thing, but I never really disliked it either, until now. Barnhardt does a great job with the non-revenue sports, and has tried to build the football program with some moderate success, but honestly, he just does not "get" Kentucky basketball. His hire of Gillespie nearly destroyed the program, and this non-sense about aligning with a winner is just stupid.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 05-11-2018 07:21 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is some big time money exchanging hands - only way to justify that ugly uniform!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 05-11-2018 12:49 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like the checkerboard on the football uniforms, just on the shoulders, but I do not like it on the basketball uniforms. Never have. I didn't mind the first time we had it when there was just a small section on the side of the shorts, but I still would have preferred to not have it.
Posts: 5441 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 05-12-2018 02:54 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bring back the Denim!

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 848 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 05-13-2018 03:52 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I liked it when pitino was coach as far as the uniforms go. It seemed like a different one every week. The one's we wore in the 31 point come back against Lsu seem to stick out to me.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9798 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-13-2018 10:29 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whatever they decide on is fine with me as long as they are Blue and White.

[ 05-13-2018, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 05-14-2018 08:50 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I honestly never noticed the checkerboard until this stupid debate come up, which brings me to my point - I could care less. [Cool]
Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 05-14-2018 10:35 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is so little going on on this board we can't choose to pick our debates. Summer slump I guess.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-14-2018 11:11 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I never give it a thought until this thread. I like them. I liked the ones with thepointed stripes of years ago and I also liked the old fashioned ones that look like swim trunks. Don't matter to me as long as we go undefeated and win the NCAA championship. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com