TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Charles Matthews

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Charles Matthews
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 03-24-2018 09:50 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's amazing to me that coach cal didn't believe that charles Matthews was good enough to play meaningful minutes for UK. From what I've seen tonight cal missed the boat on him. He's a good player. If we would have had his scoring and upper classmen leadership there's no doubt that we would have been a better team. I feel the same way about SKJ he's way better than Nick Richard's. To me cals ego has cost us at least two if not three championships.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-25-2018 04:15 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Michigan coach sure turned him into a player. He would have really been a huge help for us at UK this past season, we just did not have quality guards, the position he plays.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-25-2018 07:28 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I applaud Matthews. He's a darn good player and Cal failed to see that and develop him into an even better player. I'm glad he didn't waste more than one year sitting on the UK bench. You can tell he's a happy kid.

It's just funny how every other team I watch in college basketball, when someone makes a mistake they just play on and try to make up for it on the other end. At Kentucky when you make a mistake you walk straight towards the bench because you know you're getting yanked. At Kentucky, these kids play scared. You don't see that at other schools.

Posts: 10322 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-25-2018 09:55 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I always liked Mathews potential to contribute as a Junior or Senior once he physically matured (he simply wasn't strong enough as a Freshmen IMO and I bet he only weighed around 175 pounds at UK, in high school he weighed about 160), but I'm not sure that I would say Cal missed the boat on him.

He made a choice to transfer from UK, he has physically matured and added strength as he is now over 200 pounds. He also picked a style of play that is a perfect fit for his strengths.

I will say that I have always loved Beilein's offense. I think he runs the best offense in all of college basketball. He always has at least 3 or 4 shooters on the floor, which opens it up for drives to the lane. His bigs are always good ball handlers as well. I'm not sure why more coaches don't use his offensive philosophies.

[ 03-25-2018, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11532 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 03-25-2018 10:12 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The kid had to sit out a year to play for Michigan. He could have redshirted at kentucky and worked on his game. Some of you blame Cal for a kid being short sighted? It was the young man's decision to leave. Calipari didn't tell him to hit the road.

I don't get that line of thinking, that Calipari somehow missed on the kid. He was the one that signed him to Kentucky. He didn't miss. If a player wilts against competition, whose fault is that? Is there a magical potion that a coach can give a player to automatically give him courage and self confidence?

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-25-2018 10:34 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boomdaddy:
Is there a magical potion that a coach can give a player to automatically give him courage and self confidence?

Isn't that at least a small part of coaching - to build courage and self confidence?
Posts: 10322 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-25-2018 10:50 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Speaking from a coaches point of viewL

there is no way a coach can reach 100 percent of his players - 90 to 95 percent yes but sometimes there is that one player who will not and does not want the coach to well coach him..

Cal since he can recruit basically gets the type of player he wants but on occasion he fails as they cant wait to get to the next level no matter (johnson teague) if they are ready or not or sometimes they are not real coach able i.e boggie diallo etc

Coaching is not easy and as much money as Cal makes the job turns u grey quicker,

example

I had a 6 8 kid who could have performed much better if he would listen - he though he was a 3 point shooter (he was good) but we wanted him in the post more... He would back talk us where he shud set up etc etc

btw we lost in the distric semi finals in part because he played defense at the ff line not on the block as we kept telling him

[ 03-25-2018, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: ukcatfannfl ]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 03-25-2018 10:54 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
quote:
Originally posted by boomdaddy:
Is there a magical potion that a coach can give a player to automatically give him courage and self confidence?

Isn't that at least a small part of coaching - to build courage and self confidence?
How many great practice players have we seen over the years at Kentucky. They get in a game and freeze up. UK has had a long lineage of Mr Kentucky players that ended up being a disappointment.

Is there anything Coach could have said or done, if a player feels he will never crack the line up, when top talent comes in every year?

I don't remember who the posters were, but I remember there being posts about Sacha not staying because he was't playing. This season, he has come on, and I look for even better things from him, next season. Yes, the team needs a few veterans to mix with the freshmen. But, you have to get the ones who won't wilt or pout about having to compete.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-26-2018 11:47 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's called fair competition. we all know that the top 5 stars are the ones who get the most attention at UK. CaL MUST MAKE SURE HE KEEPS THE 5 STARS HAPPY SO THEY CAN BE SEEN BY THE SCOUTS. sO NOW WE HAVE Mathews, Lee and old whats his name at Gonzaga who couldn't seem to get enough attention. They went elsewhere where they could get more attention/direction from another coaching staff and they became different players. I think 2 or 3 of the top kids each class is enough.
Posts: 14119 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ProBlue
Player
Member # 2944

posted 03-26-2018 12:03 PM      Profile for ProBlue   Email ProBlue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree Bama Cat you have to have that blend.

--------------------
ProBlue

Posts: 735 | From: Bristol,Tn. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com