TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » So is it 10 Loss Tubby and 9 Loss Cal?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So is it 10 Loss Tubby and 9 Loss Cal?
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-23-2018 12:39 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let me just start by saying I loved Tubby and I love Cal. I don't want Cal to go anywhere. I'm just posting this because I think we as fans have a distorted view or memory sometimes.

So here goes:

10 loss Tubby lost 9 or more games in 6 of his 10 seasons or 60%.

9 loss Cal has lost 9 or more games in 5 of his 9 seasons so far or 55.5% of the time.

A lot of the haters say that Tubby's last three years were awful, which included two of his "10 loss seasons". During that time UK won 5 NCAA Tournament games.

9 Loss Cal's last three seasons, two of which also are part of his "9 loss season" total. During this time UK has won, 6 NCAA Tournament games.

Furthest each team made it in the Tournament:

Tubby: 1 Title, 3 Elite 8's, 2 Sweet 16's, 4 Second Round

Cal: 1 Title, 1 Championship Game, 2 final Four, 2 Elite 8's, 1 Sweet 16, 1 Second Round, 1 Did not make Tourney.

Cal better pick up the pace or many fans, if they hold true to the past, will want him out of Lexington.

[ 03-23-2018, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 03-23-2018 12:57 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Agree 100%.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36270 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-23-2018 03:36 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great post, Trey.

And i wonder how many McDonalds boys Tubby had. Probably not 25% of what Cal has brought in.

Posts: 10345 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-23-2018 03:49 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All I know this yr is that no one but no one could have drawn up an easier path to his 5th FF and his 5 stars blew it!!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 03-23-2018 04:26 PM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I still think what's killing us is being too young and inexperienced. It bites us in the a** almost every year. Gabriel helped us out a lot but still disappointed in sophomore SKJ. Other than those 2 players we lack upperclassmen. Maybe next year we will finally have some veterans.
Posts: 1497 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 03-23-2018 06:54 PM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You are probably on to something, but I also think it's a different era. As short as the time span may be, during the Tubby days at UK, the 1 and dones weren't nearly as prevalent in the NCAA as they are now. It's a very different landscape.

Tubby ball itself was much different than the play that Cal puts out there. The thing that killed me about Tubby was the team would pass the ball, outside the arc, for 25 seconds, then throw up a prayer in a rush. Now sometimes, those kids were talented enough (or lucky enough) to make the shot. Many times they weren't. At least the team under Cal generally has a high energy offense, most times he tries to implement a motion or dribble drive. Tubbys teams definitely played better defense, and played together more. These kids under Cal are out for #1 only...especially this season.

--------------------
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian!” Henry Ford

Posts: 5563 | From: Eddyville at heart, Chicago in life | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-23-2018 08:56 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CatFanInYankeeville:
The thing that killed me about Tubby was the team would pass the ball, outside the arc, for 25 seconds, then throw up a prayer in a rush. Now sometimes, those kids were talented enough (or lucky enough) to make the shot. Many times they weren't. At least the team under Cal generally has a high energy offense, most times he tries to implement a motion or dribble drive.

No doubt they went about it different ways, but surprisely by Points Per Game they produced almost identical results:

Tubby's teams averaged 75.11 PPG
Cal's teams have averaged 77.18 PPG

Throwing out statistical outliers for each (highest scoring season and lowest scoring season) the results look like this:

Tubby's Teams 75.50
Cal's Teams 76.66

I always said the reason that UK didn't complete the undefeated season in 2014-15 was because Cal fell in love with having his team execute in the half court offense the last 7 minutes of the game. With all the talent on that team UK should have been pushing the pace and creating more possessions per game.

Doing this research that 2014-15 team is Cal's second lowest scoring team in during his tenure here: 74.36 PPG. They played at a pedestrian pace with all kinds of thoroughbreds on the court and on the bench that year.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 03-23-2018 09:28 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One problem I see is that Tubby never sniffed the final four again after winning the title in his first season. Al least Cal has taken us to 4 final fours and 2 championship games!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123987 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-23-2018 09:45 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by m hamilton:
One problem I see is that Tubby never sniffed the final four again after winning the title in his first season. Al least Cal has taken us to 4 final fours and 2 championship games!

I agree he never got back to one, but will disagree that he never sniffed another. 3 Elite 8's isn't sniffing the Final Four?

The 2002-03 team is still one of the best teams that I have seen in the last 20 years. I mean that was as dominant of a 26 game winning streak that I have ever witnessed. If Bogan doesn't sprain his ankle against Wisconsin they win that championship going away IMO.

2004-05 Team lost in OT in the Elite 8. One rebound away from going to that Final Four or if the ref would have had the balls to call the foul on the shot that Sparks made to send it to OT, and there was no doubt he was fouled, UK could have been in the Final 4.

[ 03-23-2018, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 03-23-2018 09:50 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
4 is greater than 1 any way you slice it. Tubby never returned to the final four with any other program. Cal coached in championship games at other programs. Final fours at two other programs as well!

Don't get me wrong. I never held anything at all against Tubby Smith. I have two pictures of him hanging on my walls here at my house to be exact. But he's no where near as good a coach as Cal!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123987 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-23-2018 09:50 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
trey no offense but awful lot of could have might have.

No one remembers those just the result. Tubby has been a good ga type coach. His downfall was he could not or would not recruit. Mediocre coaching results once he had his own players..

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-24-2018 06:28 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To quote the great Reese Bobby - "if you ain't first, you're last."

Simply getting to Final Fours and losing doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I don't feel any better about the Final Four loss in 2015 than I do this year's loss to K-State.

The one stat from Trey's original post that should stick out the most is Cal's 1 Did not make Tourney. To me, there's no way in hell a Kentucky team under Calipari should ever miss an NCAA tournament. I think Tubby could coach here 50 years and he'd never miss the tournament.

Posts: 10345 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-24-2018 11:02 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Trey and I are twins separated at birth. [Smile]

I agree with every word he wrote. Tubby's biggest problem wasn't coaching, it was selling. Cal is the consumate salesman, both selling the idea of using UK as a waystop to NBA riches, and selling UK (and himself) to the basketball public at large.

Tubby floored some amazingly good teams. But, in a single-elimination tournament, one bad game, or one unsolveable matchup problem, and the best team is out. Tubby's ousters in the elite 8 games were painful, but not at all due to coaching errors or even lack of talent.

I even really liked the much-maligned "Ball Line Defense". It was a great way to stop both dribble penetration and passes into the post. You didn't see many back-door cuts for slams, nor opposing teams driving the ball at will against us. It surrendered the 3-point shot to ensure that the higher-percentage layups and slams were minimized.

No, Tubby's "failures" were, in my opinion, mostly bad matchups (Dwane Wade vs. the hobbled bogans), or the bounce of the ball (the missed rebound by Hayes against Michigan State). His teams executed well, were disciplined, and played good, hard-nosed defense. I thought he was an outstanding coach.

If only he was a better saleman too.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13624 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-24-2018 01:48 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:
I think Trey and I are twins separated at birth. [Smile]

I think you got the height. So you must be Arnold Swazenagger and I must be Danny DeVito!! [Smile]

[ 03-24-2018, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-24-2018 02:20 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Tubby had the talent Cal has recruited he would have won more games for sure. Cal is the better recruiter Tubby the better bench coach. imo

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-24-2018 07:24 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
To quote the great Reese Bobby - "if you ain't first, you're last."

Simply getting to Final Fours and losing doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I don't feel any better about the Final Four loss in 2015 than I do this year's loss to K-State.

I agree 100%. I personally don't think Final Four Banners should be hanging in Rupp. There should only be 8 Team Banners Hanging up in those rafters in my opinion.

[ 03-24-2018, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 03-26-2018 11:43 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tubby couldn't handle the elite players. He was at odds with Rondo from day one.

Give Tubby a team full of freshmen and he couldn't handle them. That is not who he is.

Notice he is is scoring an obscure job to end his career.

UK's team will be loaded for bear with plenty of returning experience next season and should be a viable contender for a title.

After Calipari wins another title, I don't expect the criticizing to end. It will just be more of the same. He shoulda or coulda won more titles.....that is what will be the next topic.

[ 03-26-2018, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-26-2018 02:52 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
duke went to several ff's before K won one. he was the coach who couldn't win the big one. one he broke thru he has won 4. i thought cal would have won 2 or 3 at ky by now - with the talent he has had every yr.

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-26-2018 08:59 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukcatfannfl:
duke went to several ff's before K won one. he was the coach who couldn't win the big one. one he broke thru he has won 4. i thought cal would have won 2 or 3 at ky by now - with the talent he has had every yr.

Slight correction....Coach K has won 5.

--------------------

redbone

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-27-2018 01:49 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ty 5 he could have had 10 if he could have won early on in career

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com