TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Crucial errors down the stretch

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Crucial errors down the stretch
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 03-23-2018 07:52 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This was a loss that took place over the entire game. Turnovers killed us, and the points they got off of them killed us. A big one was Alexanders at the end where he drove, got up in the air, and then just threw it out top to a defensive player. However, I will never understand Cal telling Gabriel to run and jump the ball so early. It was just way to early. Then it resulted in our defense scrambling, which is never good. However, that was not the worst one. Why did Cal not call a timeout? I know he said it was his fault, but after hearing him say 10,000 times that this is the youngest team ever, and after seeing how we were playing that game; what ever possibly gave him the thought that it was a good idea to just let us run up and get whatever shot we thought was best. There is no way he should have trusted that team, on that night, to make a good decision. That was a huge mistake, and he should not be making one like that in that situation. Then with 6.7 seconds left I am not exactly sure what we were running. It looked like we had 2 guys at the top of the key. Knox ran around them and then set a pick for Gabriel because he popped out top, but there was no spacing, and there was no way it was going to happen fast enough. I would want Knox taking that shot every time. I would have been much happier just in-bounding it to Knox and let him create his shot. He is our best shooter, so I would want him taking that shot. It wasn't too bad of a look, just not who I would want shooting the ball. Oh well, long wait until next season. Now I just have to pull for anyone BUT Duke. I don't think I can stand to see them win another championship.
Posts: 5436 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 03-23-2018 11:06 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Who would you like to replace Cal with?

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36269 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 03-23-2018 11:47 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sloppy guard play and missed wide open shots and free throws.

The guard play was the worst it has been in a long time. Kentucky beat themselves.

I woldn't have any other coach. I am all in with Calipari. The team lacked a seasoned guard. They will have that next year. In a one and done tourney, you have to be lucky and not have a bad game.

I thought this team would be lucky to make it to the sweet 16. Then, after they got there, I thought they would make it to the final four.

Calipari has the best record at Kentucky since Rupp. Besides not winning a championship every year, he has avoided scandal and has kept Kentucky relevant.

The school, alumni, and fans are lucky that the ugly stuff with Pitino was at another school. His private life was only a rumor when he was at Kentucky and social media was not in full swing like it is now,

Go Cats.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 03-23-2018 12:33 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn't say I want him replaced. I said he made a crucial error. Every time someone questions something about Cal it's automatically "Oh, you want him gone." I am disappointed in the loss, and simply expressing my opinion that those were some critical errors. I didn't say it cost us the game, but it certainly didn't help. And yes, I expect a coach of his caliber to realize he needs to call a timeout in that situation, and call the timeout. Not realize it after the game. A younger, less experienced coach, I could see not realizing that, but not a hall of fame coach. I said the loss was overall. We flat played terrible, and it was the worst game of the season in my opinion. Cal didn't miss all the free throws, or throw the ball away; but he didn't do the best thing for the team in that situation. He even said it himself. I don't see how anyone can't think that not calling a timeout there was a bad move. And am I allowed to think that it might have been better to have Knox just get the ball off the inbound and get his shot? I certainly don't think that would be a bad idea at all. I have said many times, I don't think anyone else could handle this job better, but he does make mistakes, and those were a couple imo. The minute Cal gets questioned some of you automatically jump to attack mode, and that I just want him gone. No I don't.
ALA_KAT2
Player
Member # 1559

posted 03-23-2018 12:51 PM      Profile for ALA_KAT2   Email ALA_KAT2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ukman, great posts IMHO. I was surprised that KS did not foul with 6 sec left and up by 3. But the odds favored us not making or even getting a good look.
Just an off-night from many perspectives. I feel bad for PJ missing all those free throws. We could have overcame that with better play from SGA and the others. Gabriel, SKJ, Richards and Diallo all combined probably scored less than 10 points.
It will take a while for me to get over last night's loss.

--------------------
Adair CHS 1966/USAF/WKU/AT&T

GO BIG BLUE!

Posts: 4046 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 03-23-2018 12:54 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wrote a lengthy reply, but after proof reading it, deleted it without posting. To shorten to up, we all have the right to speak our mind here as long as it is respectful.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36269 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-23-2018 01:19 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You know part of me thinks if Hami isn't called for the foul on the missed Free Throw, that UK wins the game (I do think he extended his arm and fouled, but with all the contact in the game that was a tough call and K-State had the rebound any way).

UK had just gotten the lead, K-State was having a hell of a time scoring the last few minutes and those two Free Throws gave them the lead right back without having to work for it. It would have been the first time all night that K-State had a little pressure on them.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 03-23-2018 01:37 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is a good point Trey. I hadn't really thought of that. Lots of things just went bad last night. Guess it just wasn't meant to be. I went from hoping we would win a first round game, to thinking we could maybe make it to the sweet 16, to then thinking we are going to make it to the final four, to it unexpectedly being over. Look forward to next season.
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-23-2018 01:39 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukman:
That is a good point Trey. I hadn't really thought of that. Lots of things just went bad last night. Guess it just wasn't meant to be. I went from hoping we would win a first round game, to thinking we could maybe make it to the sweet 16, to then thinking we are going to make it to the final four, to it unexpectedly being over. Look forward to next season.

That sums it well for me too. I even stopped watching them live during the regular season (I think Old Norm did the same). I even deleted some of the losses and close wins from the DVR without watching them. I would come on here and read the game thread and move on.

[ 03-23-2018, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-23-2018 03:51 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All year long I've been trying to figure out what type of offense we're trying to run. Last night was no different. But after thinking about it, although we only scored 58, i think that is misleading. If PJ makes his darn free throws then we hit 70 points. The way the refs called this game, I said late in the game that whoever loses can blame the refs. It was called way too close on both teams.

I think that foul on Hami was bogus. It was two guys fighting for a ball and their arms got a little tangled. That's a "play on" call if you ask me.

Posts: 10340 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-23-2018 04:05 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That foul on Hami was definitely bogus and should never have been called. That was incidental contact at worst and Kansas State already had the rebound. I watched parts of the other games last night and the officials would only call fouls if blood was drawn but not on our game for some reason or another. Both teams could not get away with breathing on whomever they were guarding. I felt the officials ruined the game for both teams last night. It was definitely over officiated.

During the second half, Cal ran a two man offense consisting of Knox and Alexander, the others were used for not much other than picks, rebounding and defense.

[ 03-23-2018, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 03-23-2018 04:19 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just wish that coach cal would encourage some of the player's that he pushes to the NBA to come back to school. To play with all freshmen and a couple of role player's is tough. There is no one on this team IMO who is ready for the NBA. Let the use the experience from last night along with the studs we have coming in and make a run at a championship next year.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9779 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-23-2018 04:30 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sometimes you live with what you recruit. This yrs class was not and I repeat not up to Cal's normal standard as there was not a stand out recruit period.

Duke got the good ones along with tx and okl. We got what was left!

Nxt yr more of the same - Duke got the good ones and we are left with the rest. Hero for goodness sake is a 4 star. Baker was a 4 star . Fact is without a cpl of bagley's no team will perform well as freshmen.

So if you are going to recruit one and dones you better recruit the good ones unless you are just for the kids and the program doesnt enter into it as much!!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 03-23-2018 05:53 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Alexander was a 4 star and he was our best player. I am fine with a 4 star that can shoot. He doesn't have to be a stud athlete, he just needs to be able to hit the open 3, and have a quick release. If we have returners it could be good.
look at Villanova, they don't have a bunch of 5 stars, but they are always good because they get good players, and then the coaching staff develops them. That may be the route cal has to start going if he is not going to get the elite kids.

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-23-2018 05:58 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
u miss my point entirely - mid level 5 stars will not get u very far when u are a one and done.

Why do u think shai was so good - he looks good and performed well as a 4 star because the 5 stars were (are) not very good.

Cal is getting out recruited period. Unless he can reel in a cpl top 10 studs each year you see what we will be like.

Only way out is to get people to stay but it is all about them getting to the next level whether they are ready or not.. Dont blame them just saying!!

p.s. nova's people stay!!

p.s.s. we had two 5 stars stay and being mid level u see how they performed in yr 2

[ 03-23-2018, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: ukcatfannfl ]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com