TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Box score/ final game of season

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Box score/ final game of season
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-23-2018 12:11 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Box Score

[ 03-23-2018, 05:56 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-23-2018 12:49 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is an ugly one Ray. I think KSU scored 26 points off of UK’s Turnovers. That truly was the difference in the game.

I know people will blame PJ and I can understand that, but he is also the one that kept UK in the game as well.

I believe that every time UK had the lead in the game, with possession and a chance to extend it, they turned it over every single time. Never even got a shot up.

[ 03-23-2018, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11532 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-23-2018 01:00 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At one point the announcer pointed out that UK had 13 turnovers and 12 made baskets...at which time we made our 14th turnover. We ended up with 16 made baskets and 15 turnovers. That is just self-destruction. We definitely beat ourselves tonight. Turnovers and missed free throws.

I feel for PJ. He had a great game -- 18 points and 15 boards! -- but just let the missed FTs get into his head.

Knox also played well. He moved without the ball, and always squared up on his shots. Plus, he grabbed 8 boards.

The one who seemed uncharacteristically shaky was SGA. Poor shooting (2 out of 10 from the floor) and 5 turnovers made him a net negative for the game. THAT was unusual.

Gabriel never stepped up into a consistent role. After his great games in the SEC tourney, he played relatively poorly in the NCAAs. He was high-energy, but foul-prone. And his 3-point shot abandoned him.

Ah, every time we bow out of the tournament is a sad event. Time for another long, slow summer on TCD...

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13591 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-23-2018 01:41 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kansas State scored "27" points from the 3 point line compared to "9" points by our Cats. They also scored 3 more 2 pointers than we did. Another stat that hurt us was that we turned the ball over 15 times to 9 by Kansas State. The one stat we won was from the free throw line where he made 9 more free throws.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186355 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-23-2018 05:51 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bruce, it was the missed ones that really hurt us badly. PJ Washington missing twelve free throws was very decisive in the loss. It was a total team loss, turnovers by the guards really hurt and they made some unforced ones at very key times during the second half. You cannot have a point guard make five turnovers in a game and be successful night in and night out. As good as Alexander is as a player, I am not sure he has the game ready to take to the NBA as of yet but am sure he will.

23 of 37 free throws is not a very good percentage. PJ Washington making 8 for 20 really hurt. It was a total team loss however, there were other missed opportunities late in the game for us to win it but we made some bad decisions and shot selection was not very good.

[ 03-23-2018, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 03-23-2018 07:41 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think our worst game of the year. Defense was terrible from the start. Hands down, lazy switches on picks, not communicating; just bad. On offense there was very little movement overall by players, and very little ball movement. I think these guys saw Loyola win and thought "We are going to get to the Final Four. Loyola can't have any more luck." And some of them just looked right past this game. They drank the poison. Instead of thinking, "Man anyone can be beaten, so we better come out ready to play." I hated that loss. I had also allowed myself to start thinking of a final four. I just didn't see us losing to KState, or to Loyola. I knew it was possible, but I felt the way we had been playing we would be ready. Man was I wrong.
Posts: 5420 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-23-2018 07:55 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In spite of all the talk in game chat about how poorly we played defensely, I thought our defense was ok. We held them to 61 points. Any Bruce Weber team is somewhat challenged offensively, however they always come ready to play on the defensive end. Kansas State & Weber deserve more than a little credit for our loss.

Didn't really get into this team until theSEC tournament but I've really enjoyed them since. Last night not so much.

Afterthought, Coach Cal did an excellent overall job with this team. Lots of predictions early on how good this team would be but in reality the talent level was just not there. Add to that the typical inexperience of a UK team, we probably went further in the tournament than we deserved.

Time to look forward to some mediocre UK football.

Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com