TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » In Cal We Trust -- Not!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In Cal We Trust -- Not!
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-16-2018 11:39 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This interview with Shai Gilgeous-Alexander deeply disturbed me. First, watch the interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr8TZiHtHlE

Now, did it sound to you that he basically said that the team has NOT been trusting Cal so far? That they are NOT following his coaching, or plans?

It sure sounded like that to me. If so, then what the hades is going on? It seems that now that they have lost four in a row, maybe they will try it "Cal's way".

I would bench every one of them. Just walk over to the Seaton Center and draft some kids to play the rest of the season from pickup games. And tell those kids sitting on the bench "Say goodbye to your dreams of NBA millions!"

[ 02-16-2018, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-17-2018 04:36 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I must admit, I love Kentucky basketball but have not enjoyed this season for some reason or another and maybe Alexander's words are why. There is no player on this team that I really am overly fond of and that has never happened in the history of Ky basketball to me. I just cannot associate with the efforts of this group, they should be a much better team than they are and from this interview and the way they have played, it is starting to make sense.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-17-2018 09:20 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At least I haven't been as nervous watching the games as in the past, I assume they will lose and a win at this point in the season is a bonus, Very poor team imo and not well coached or they refuse to listen. Either way it spells disaster.

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-17-2018 09:29 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's been tough but I'm still holding out hope!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-17-2018 10:00 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To me he sounded like an 18-year old who just didn't know what to say. It was like he was just searching for answers. He could be repeating what he hears in the media every day, I don't know. We have the youngest team in college basketball, that's all there is to say.
Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-17-2018 12:50 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Like I've said for the past couple of months now, "They're in dire need of a team leader!" Without the upper classman leadership we're still waiting for one of the younger players to take the role of team leader!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-19-2018 08:06 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought these young me would have turned the corner, by now.

Their offense is terrible and they just don't get it. They will be fine next season, because they will have guys back that wont go pro, that were starters.

But this season, they are just too young and don't have a few upper classmen that can steady the offense when the chips are down.

The team really needs a guard with experience this year. It shows, especially at crunch time.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 02-19-2018 09:42 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal once said he could recruit the best of the best, and he has proven in the past he can do so. But the last couple years Coach K has dominated recruiting, leaving Cal and everyone else in the dust and settling for "second tier" talent....like Cal used to do. If Cal continues relying on one and done players he better get back to being the ace recruiter we know he can be. He simply cannot allow the current "trend" to linger any longer.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-19-2018 10:59 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boomdaddy:
The team really needs a guard with experience this year. It shows, especially at crunch time.

Briscoe would be a junior this and would probably be the guard you're talking about, Boom. If it were me and I had my choice of playing college ball at UK or pro ball in Estonia, I'd have to choose UK.
Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-19-2018 11:03 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Briscoe got bad advice. He needed to stay and work on his shooting. I forgot about him and the bad choice that he made.

From the rumors I heard, UK was better off with him leaving, believe it or not. Not sure if they were true. Heard he did not get along well. Who knows.

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-19-2018 11:14 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I read somewhere that Briscoe made the All Star team overseas and scored over 40 points in their All Star game. He would have made a great leader for this year's young pups, no doubt.

Once Orlando Antiguia left for a head cocaching job in S Florida, our recruiting of the top level talent really seems to have dropped off for some reason or another. He was considered our number one point man for recruiting.

[ 02-19-2018, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-19-2018 11:23 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SCWC:
I read somewhere that Briscoe made the All Star team overseas and scored over 40 points in their All Star game. He would have made a great leader for this year's young pups, no doubt.

Once Orlando Antiguia left for a head cocaching job in S Florida, our recruiting of the top level talent really seems to have dropped off for some reason or another. He was considered our number one point man for recruiting.

I think what happened at his last school may prevent Antigua from ever coming back. Just a guess....I think his brother got caught in something....but he is attached to it.
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-19-2018 11:24 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Would be good if we had Rod Srickland back to mentor the guards!

He got a DUI......The head coaches get passes, but assistants get arrested and get booked.....

Ie,,,,Billy Clyde that got passes all the time and got arrested right after he was fired.

[ 02-19-2018, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-19-2018 11:26 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From KSR on Briscor:

quote:

Isaiah Briscoe wasn’t seen as a dominant scorer at the college level, but he changed that narrative tonight. In the Estonia/Latvia All-Star Game, the former Kentucky point guard dropped 50 points and took home MVP honors. Here he was holding the trophy:
quote:

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-19-2018 11:27 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yea, even if he was difficult to get along with, they sure could have used him on this years team
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-19-2018 11:30 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Boom, Antiguia is now working as an assistant at the University of Illinois. I did not know that until I googled him. He was fired from the S Florida head job because of irregular benefits to players. I don't see him being back at UK ever.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-20-2018 08:21 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kentucky will never hire Antigua again.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com