TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » No Basketball IQ

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No Basketball IQ
Cold Spring Cat
Player
Member # 14751

posted 02-15-2018 02:06 PM      Profile for Cold Spring Cat   Email Cold Spring Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This team has absolutely NO basketball IQ in game situations. I watch some of the decisions these kids make and I am left scratching my head.

Outside of the NIT team with Goodwin and Noel, this team has to be the worst.

Posts: 140 | From: Cold Spring, KY | Registered: Sep 2017  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-15-2018 03:43 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
dont blame the noel team on him as he was hurt in the fl game (I was there). Without him we were not very good.

This team has everyone (but baker) and is much worse than Noel team imvc

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-16-2018 08:42 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have never faulted Calipari for recruiting one and dones who leave for the pros as soon as they can.

My beef with Cal, this season, is that he knew it was going to be the youngest team he has ever had. He should have picked up a scorer or two from the juco ranks.

They struggle to get points. That is the HC fault for not going out and getting a few seasoned scorers to balance the team. He doesn't have a Jamaal Murry or a Malik Monk this year. He should have went and picked up one or two prolific scorers from juco. That is on Cal.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-16-2018 09:06 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Could that be what Baker was for?
Posts: 10334 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-16-2018 09:15 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
Could that be what Baker was for?

Baker is a freshman who was supposed to be the dead eye 3 point shooter. But, he averaged only 17 [points a game.

I am not saying 17 is peanuts. Translate that to the college game and it goes down. The kid that is coming in next year, Herro is having a bunch of 40 point games. That should translate to a reliable scorer in college. I think Baker would have really good to have,, this season. But, he wasn't a hugely prolific scorer in high school.

If you take a kid that is averaging in the the mid to high 20s in juco, that should translate favorably in D1 play, unless we are talking about him scoring at the center position against short guys.

That is just my opinion and I don't get paid to coach.

ALA_KAT2
Player
Member # 1559

posted 02-16-2018 11:50 AM      Profile for ALA_KAT2   Email ALA_KAT2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Cal wants JUCO transfers since he would have to play them over the less experienced OneNDones (assuming he would play the best player anyway). That would diminish his NBA legacy and hamper the sales pitch he must be giving to the 5* kids.
Wish Cal would coach to win games for the U of K and focus less on getting kids to the NBA.

--------------------
Adair CHS 1966/USAF/WKU/AT&T

GO BIG BLUE!

Posts: 4046 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-16-2018 12:11 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ala he did last year with hawkins and willis..

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

ALA_KAT2
Player
Member # 1559

posted 02-16-2018 08:53 PM      Profile for ALA_KAT2   Email ALA_KAT2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
UKCatFan,
Yes, he did. He also played Harrellson a lot when he was a senior, and of course Miller on the championship
team. He inherited Harrellson and Miller, and I wish he would recruit those kinds of kids and let them mature into solid contributors. So there is evidence that Cal will play upperclassmen, I just think his propensity to get OneNDones to the NBA as fast as possible limits his ability to develop good 3-4 year players.

--------------------
Adair CHS 1966/USAF/WKU/AT&T

GO BIG BLUE!

Posts: 4046 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-16-2018 09:38 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I dont see Green ever going Pro. He will be a solid college player next year and prob a great college player in years 3 and 4.

The last juco Cal got was a disappointment. Maybe a grad transfer...I dont remember but didn't they call him uncle julious? He was not the caliber of talent that he should have brought in. He was a big miss.

rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 02-16-2018 09:45 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm sick of the oneNdone, you can't contend for championships without a few upper classes. Cals first priority should be to the UK.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9779 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-16-2018 09:54 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree that he just needs at least two upper classmen each year, that are players you can count on.. He will have that, next season.

If you don't have them, what's the next best option? Juco, Juco, or .....Juco.

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 02-16-2018 11:38 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boomdaddy:
[QBThe kid that is coming in next year, Herro is having a bunch of 40 point games. That should translate to a reliable scorer in college[/QB]

JMO, but I think Herro will have some trouble scoring in colllege. He is already known as a streaky shooter and that is against less than steller high school competition in Wisconsin. Combine that with the speed and athleticism he will be facing at the collegiate level and I can see struggles for him being a consistent scoring threat. Kind of reminds me of a Ryan Hogan/Alex Legion type of recruit. Hogan/Legion were both big time scorers in high school as well, but it never translated to the college level at Kentucky/Iowa/Michigan

[ 02-16-2018, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11565 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-16-2018 11:41 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
options 1. senior college grad students (fl does a great job with them)
2. NCAA is going to allow certain players to transfer without sitting out...Next year?
Help me out ray bruce just read this last one recently

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com