TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cats 8.5 pt underdog to Auburn tonight

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cats 8.5 pt underdog to Auburn tonight
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-14-2018 08:08 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Vegas opened the line with Cats being an 8.5 point underdog to Auburn tonight. Let's hope the team show up and give us a winning performance for a change.
Posts: 16558 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-14-2018 08:20 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it's clear that we will need a 30+ point effort from someone to win these tough games. That's what it took against WV. I feel if we don't get a monster game from one player then 8.5 points might not be enough.
Posts: 8652 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-14-2018 08:39 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Auburn start no one taller than six foot seven inches but they really hustle. We will have a decided height advantage but will we take advantage of that???? Lately we have only been getting double digit scoring from two or three people, we will definitely need someone to step up and have a big game or for everyone to step up and have big games to beat Auburn tonight.
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-14-2018 09:51 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The biggest problem is that Auburn players can shoot. Ours can't. [Wink]
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-14-2018 10:45 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
By the way, the spread has been bet up to 9.5.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 31962 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-14-2018 11:19 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No one seems to have any confidence in this Kentucky team, even the gamblers are seeing what we as Cat fans are seeing, a team that seems to lack leadership, direction and hustle. This is the first Ky team that I have had little to no confidence in since the end of the 2013 season after Noel got injured. I hope they prove the gamblers and we cat fans wrong tonight, they owe us one.
Cold Spring Cat
Player
Member # 14751

posted 02-14-2018 12:07 PM      Profile for Cold Spring Cat   Email Cold Spring Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cats will lose by double-digits tonight. Nothing has convinced me to think otherwise.
Posts: 134 | From: Cold Spring, KY | Registered: Sep 2017  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-14-2018 12:19 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SCWC, I totally agree that leadership, hustle and direction are issues, but the main fact is this team just cannot shoot. Vegas has figured that out. Basketball is a sport where you actually have to score and have the talent to put the ball in the basket, and we just can't do it with consistency.

I read articles where Cal doesn't want us to be mad at this team. I'm not mad at all. I realize this team is what it is - a group of freshman with limited talent. I wouldn't expect any team starting five freshman to be a top-25 team.

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-14-2018 02:35 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Would you believe a 2 point victory? Nah, me neither! But something has gotten into my mind that I keep seeing a bunch of 3 point shots going in. And the uniform color that is doing it is blue. Not sure what the shade of blue is. And the final score on the board is 81-79. Maybe it was a nightmare I was having?
Posts: 11941 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cold Spring Cat
Player
Member # 14751

posted 02-14-2018 02:39 PM      Profile for Cold Spring Cat   Email Cold Spring Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
SCWC, I totally agree that leadership, hustle and direction are issues, but the main fact is this team just cannot shoot. Vegas has figured that out. Basketball is a sport where you actually have to score and have the talent to put the ball in the basket, and we just can't do it with consistency.

I read articles where Cal doesn't want us to be mad at this team. I'm not mad at all. I realize this team is what it is - a group of freshman with limited talent. I wouldn't expect any team starting five freshman to be a top-25 team.

PaulCat - I am to that point as well where I have accepted the team for what they are. But it does beg the question - why is Cal recruiting kids that are not solid, lock down shooters? Is it because there are not many out there? Is it a lost art nowadays? Or, does Cal feel confident that he can teach a kid?

Regardless of what the answer is - you are correct - unless we they can begin to make shots and do it consistently, they will not win many games.

Posts: 134 | From: Cold Spring, KY | Registered: Sep 2017  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-14-2018 07:29 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It could be a very long night and doesn't help playing them in their place.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 150232 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-14-2018 07:48 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
History says Kentucky has never lost more than 2 games in a row to Auburn. Our longest winning streak was 13 wins, 2/28/2001 to 3/14/2015.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 150232 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-14-2018 08:49 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The spread is still 9.5

--------------------
IN LOVING MEMORY of REDBONE. Win Lose or Tie I'M A WILDCAT TIL I DIE!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 88402 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-14-2018 11:15 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...and we lose by 10. Auburn covered the spread.

--------------------
Tiptree

Posts: 10097 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 02-14-2018 11:45 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When you do the exact same thing over and over again you'll get the same results, coach cal runs the same old offence and defense and it hasn't worked all year. This team should play 40 minutes of hell Force the issue on both sides of the ball. At least be willing to try something different but he won't because his ego won't let him. I think cal has been good for UK but his player's first mentality has worn thin with me. It's time to play for the name on the front of the jersey instead of the name on the back of it.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 5536 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-14-2018 11:57 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let's face it the days of Cal getting the best of the best is about over. K has beat him for the past 3 years now and Cal just doesn't get the ones he really wants. He knows which kids are thye best of the best but they have grown tired of whatever he's telling them. They now see Duke as a better choice. His PG plays for OK. His 2 big men play for Duke. He just doesn't have the appeal he had 5 years ago. We now have 4 losses in a row and if he loses Saturday at home to AL we are in over our heads and the NIT is a most likely result. Knox is definitely the only one who should enter the draft. With the 3 kids coning in next year we would have 13 which is a full roster. I'm ready to call the season over and start a new one.
Posts: 11941 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 02-15-2018 06:45 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal better adapt or he is going to be in for some mediocre seasons. He either needs to figure out how to get the best of the best, how to run some offenses that get his teams good shots, or how to recruit a team with the right pieces not just length and so called athleticism. A different coach has this type of team at a better record imo. He just isn't doing anything different and expecting different results. Time to swallow his pride and start to do some different things on the offensive end, and mix defenses during most of the game, not just in stretches. We lost the lead when he went back to an and for some reason we kept switching again. Alexander got pinned inside and gave up an easy basket, then gave up an easy offensive rebound for a basket. I watched last night, but it is really hard. Even when they are looking good I know it won't last and we will eventually blow the lead. I don't trust this team at all
Posts: 2411 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-15-2018 08:16 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the kids we have right now are the kids we need to be getting. Problem is, we just happened to get them all at one time. This is definitely a team of 2, 3, and even 4-year players. If Cal recruits these types of guys year in and year out, I think we'll see more consistent teams over time instead of the up and down rollercoaster that is the University of Kentucky.
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-15-2018 08:55 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
so called athleticism
"

When you hear that phrase then you know they cant shoot just jump out of the gym!

That in a nutshell is ur team.... Cal cant get the
basketball players of the world anymore....

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 7104 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-15-2018 09:34 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have never understood why Cal emphasizes athleticism over shooting. You need both... look at Auburn's team, for an example. That under-sized center schooled us because he is both wide AND athletic (a modern-day Charles Barkeley?). He gave up height to everybody around him, but could get off the floor quicker and higher than our guys. The rest of the roster have speed. They have quickness. AND they have shooters. Lots of 'em.

Imagine if we had Booker, or Aaron Harrison, or Jamal Murray on this team. Knox could play his short game, maybe even post up ( [Eek!] ). Gilgeous-Alexander could drive. Wenyen can still be Wenyen. Vanderbilt could rebound and pass. What we are missing is that shooter or two that simply demands respect.

--------------------
Tiptree

Posts: 10097 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 02-15-2018 12:57 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll take a shooter with a decent bball IQ over just an athlete any day.
Posts: 2411 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com