TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Look back at recruiting rankings

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Look back at recruiting rankings
jerseycat
Player
Member # 9

posted 02-07-2018 07:55 AM      Profile for jerseycat   Email jerseycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have followed Kentucky basketball from the time I attended UK during the Runts era. Have witnessed some bad ball over the years, similar to what is happening this season. But I will watch every game even though as others have said it is very painful to watch.

I was curious about where the players on this team ranked as recruits. I believe 247Sports is one of the major ranking "services" along with ESPN, Rivals, and others. Below is the 247Sports ranking of our roster:

Knox: #8 overall; #2 SF
Diallo #9 overall; #1 SG
Richards: #16 overall; #2 C
Washington: #17 overall; #6 PF
Vanderbilt: #19 overall; #6 SF
Green: #25 overall; #4 PG
Alexander: not in top 40 overall; #9 SG

Any comments?

--------------------
UK Class of 1968

Posts: 1791 | From: Red Bank, NJ | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-07-2018 08:11 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was obviously a weak year for high school talent entering college. Like you, I will always watch even though this team have taken a lot of the fun out of watching. I will never miss a Ky basketball game on TV. There really is no go to player on this team and unless some individual player has the offensive game of their lives, we seem to come out on the short end of the straw. The WVU game was won by Knox having an unconscious shooting night, he has not done much since, others were won by Alexander having great scoring nights etc. This team just do not seem to have high basketball IQ'a or play very well together for some reason or another.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
jerseycat
Player
Member # 9

posted 02-07-2018 10:02 AM      Profile for jerseycat   Email jerseycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You are right on about a weak class SCWC. I agree that this team just doesn't get the team concept. I kept my blue tinted glasses on up to last night, thinking they would just "turn the corner" but I think I may need to remove them now. Alexander is the only player that comes to play each and every game. Knox seems to have lost interest. Diallo is a total mystery to me.

--------------------
UK Class of 1968

Posts: 1791 | From: Red Bank, NJ | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-07-2018 10:27 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Garbage is what it is. Our 2 best ranked kids, Diallo and Knox who are supposed to be ready for the NBA, are the poorest players on the team. Just don't see them getting any better in the final 7 games. I look for them to either go in the draft because everyone can see they don't want to play for Cal.

Cal can come up with all thye excuses he wants but I don't believe a lick of it. We play defense well enough to win all of our games. Look at the point totals of these garbage games we're playing, 60 point average for each team? Now that is some great offense by both teams.

This ill be the lowest average scoring team in a while. The only thing that's somewhat consistent is Alexander's drives. Our 3 point shooting is very sporadic. Our free throw shooting is great some nights and horendous other nights.

I'm saying our biggest problem is shooting. There is no go to guy for points except Alexander's drives, sometimes.

I am revising my guess as to what our final w-l will be. Right now I see an 18-13 record and a very good seed in the NIT. I hope they prove me wrong.

Posts: 14162 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cold Spring Cat
Player
Member # 14751

posted 02-07-2018 10:33 AM      Profile for Cold Spring Cat   Email Cold Spring Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That list right there completely blows up the credibility of those rankings. I refuse to place any hype in future player rankings when we sign a recruit. Until they produce on the court, it means nothing.
Posts: 140 | From: Cold Spring, KY | Registered: Sep 2017  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-07-2018 10:49 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It also shows that Cal has surrendered his ability to recruit the cream of the crop to coach K. For a couple years now K has done very well in the top 10 while Cal recruits the 10-25 group. Just like the 2018 group of 1, 2, & 3 that Duke will have next year. The very top kids use UK on their list for prestige only. I don't think they have any thought about attending UK. The way we are going this year even more of them will scratch us off their list.
Posts: 14162 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com