TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal's press conference on the team and loss

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal's press conference on the team and loss
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-03-2018 06:38 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From KSR:

quote:

It’s going to take more than Kentucky’s imaginary assist column for John Calipari to get his team to share the ball. The Cats are still too selfish and unwilling to distribute the way Calipari expects, and it was the main focus of his postgame comments after the loss to Missouri. “It’s obviously not working,” Cal said of his new method of recording assists, which he thought would inspire his players to become better passers. “I’ve done this a long time but I haven’t had a team this young. And when they’re this young, each player is trying to establish who they are as a player, and it just takes time. I was disappointed with a bunch of guys.” The point guards were especially disappointing, at least in how they facilitated the offense. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander was UK’s most aggressive penetrator in the game, but Calipari said he would like to see Gilgeous-Alexander reel it in a little bit and do a better job running the offense. “We need Shai do some of the stuff he’s doing, but he took 16 shots. He needs to take about 10 shots. The two point guards took 27 shots.” “Shai had six assists, but he still had four or five other plays where he could’ve passed it to guys. Quade the same thing. It’s almost like I don’t care if you’re open or not, you’re going to have to pass. I don’t have the answer right now. We gotta create shots for each other. The game’s too hard.” Calipari sees youth as the driving force in his team’s mental lapses and unwillingness to buy in to what he is telling them. “What young guys do when they’re trying to establish themselves, is they’re defensive and they’re into their own self. So they lose some of the team stuff. Well we gotta get through this.” He added, “I’m just waiting for them to break through. Most of it is — ‘play this way.’ And guys are fighting that, like ‘I’m going to play my way,’ which means ‘I am not passing,’ which means none of us pass, which means no easy shots. And you’re in dog fight, which we’ve been in 15 times this year.” More dog fights to come.
quote:

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 02-03-2018 09:03 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just watched the game. One line sums it up well I think:

"I am not passing, which means none of us pass, which means no easy shots"

On a side note: How many dunks has Nick Richards missed this year? At least 7 that I can remember. It is crazy. Any slight contact and the kid will lose the ball out of his hands even when he has two hands firmly gripped on it.

[ 02-03-2018, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
ALA_KAT2
Player
Member # 1559

posted 02-03-2018 09:25 PM      Profile for ALA_KAT2   Email ALA_KAT2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm a guy who loves teams that pass well. The problem I see for this team is that the offense that they run does not lend itself to open shooters. We don't pass to the foul line and create floor spacing. Instead we run a dribble weave out front (with players handing off to teammates who are covered up) and eventually someone will jack up a shot with two defenders on him. And usually it's a miss.
Lately, even when we get an open look from beyond the foul line we're not making it, except for the Knox effort against WVA ( which it seems was a complete anomaly).
Therefore, I do not blame SGA for taking so many shots. At least he gets in the lane and to the rim very often. Seems that's the only success we have on offense.
Cal's system needs superior athletes and shooters to succeed. This team doesn't have that, and seems Cal has no other options for them. A complete disaster on offense lately and seems missing shots has become contagious. I hope they figure something out soon.
Maybe Herro coming in and Baker returning will help us be a very good shooting team next year.

--------------------
Adair CHS 1966/USAF/WKU/AT&T

GO BIG BLUE!

Posts: 4046 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 02-04-2018 09:32 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Plain and simple, cal needs a different offense for this team. This team needs to run more set plays to get good looks. Just spacing the floor and telling guys to attack is not going to get it done.
Posts: 5440 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-04-2018 12:29 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Our man-to-man defense is atrocious. Very poor on-the-ball defense, and no rotation to pick up the drive. But our zone defense has at times been effective (if only we could pay attention to the back-door play!), and our press has worked well too.

This might sound like blasphemy, but with the collection of decent-but-not-great 6'8" - 6'9" guys, maybe Cal should talk with Denny Crum. Our personnel look like they would play well in Denny's system from the 80s. Press, push the ball in transition, and run the guard-inversion post offense.

Hey, why not. This sure ain't working.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13624 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-04-2018 01:09 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I doubt Cal's ego would ever let him change his type of play to anyone named Crumb. [Wink]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-04-2018 01:35 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Crumbs are Nancy Pelosi's bailiwick.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36270 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-04-2018 01:41 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Agree with most of the above. My vision is that it's mostly Cal's fault. I see them passing the ball a lot. Maybe he doesn't. When the shots don't fall I see the guards driving it to get some points. I really don't see it as selfishness. When we get in a hole the guards are trying to get some points. Richards is trying to play street ball with those dunks he is bouncing off the rim. Maybe he needs some contacts. We slow the game down way too much for the type players we have. We rush the ball up court and then slow it down most of the time. Cal has got to quit blaming it on the kids, except for their shooting. They are the only ones who can help their shooting. Season is almost over and we can get on to the next set. The next set will contain some of the current players Knox should be the only one to move on due to his potential.

[ 02-04-2018, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

Posts: 14165 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 02-04-2018 02:30 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I missed the game yesterday, but I recorded it. First game I've missed in year's and now after reading all y'alls post I don't think I will watch it.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9789 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-04-2018 02:57 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ALA said:
I'm a guy who loves teams that pass well. The problem I see for this team is that the offense that they run does not lend itself to open shooters. We don't pass to the foul line and create floor spacing. Instead we run a dribble weave out front (with players handing off to teammates who are covered up) and eventually someone will jack up a shot with two defenders on him. And usually it's a miss.
Lately, even when we get an open look from beyond the foul line we're not making it, except for the Knox effort against WVA ( which it seems was a complete anomaly).
Therefore, I do not blame SGA for taking so many shots. At least he gets in the lane and to the rim very often. Seems that's the only success we have on offense.
Cal's system needs superior athletes and shooters to succeed. This team doesn't have that, and seems Cal has no other options for them. A complete disaster on offense lately and seems missing shots has become contagious. I hope they figure something out soon.

-------------------------------------------

the weave up top by 3 guys is what we run on our HS team at the end of a quarter to either hold the ball, get a back door layup or to get the last shot. However KY bigs just camp out in the paint so no spacing no back doors and generally a long three or drive the lane with 3 people on u... Their offense is much worse than a (my) high school offense. If we are supposed to be soooo long then spacing and a "post" offense would work!

for example:
overload one side , swing the ball to the weak side and have a big float to the block waiting a pass fm either the wing or the guard on the weak side,,,If nothing there swing and try the other side.. We have a 6 8 and 6 5 guy and find a lot of success even with big teams!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 02-04-2018 06:03 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree Bama. He needs to stop blaming the kids, and blaming it all on the youth. We get it, the team is young, but this is what you recruit. Maybe some of the top guys aren't wanting to come now because Cal blames the kids when it doesn't go well, and he scream the entire game. Like it was said above, the kids control how well they shoot, but Cal is the one that is responsible for putting them in positions to succeed. His usual offense is not what this team needs. He needs to look at his team and figure out some set plays to get us the best shots possible. If he doesn't, I really thin we could be NIT bound.
Posts: 5440 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-04-2018 06:32 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The one thing I don't like about Cal is how he constantly pulls guys out for making one mistake. I watch a lot of games and rarely see this from other coaches. I was watching a game this weekend and the announcers even pointed out how one of the teams was able to come back after making some mistakes. None of the players who made mistakes were yanked - they were allowed to play through the mistakes. You sometimes see our players start walking to the bench when they make a turnover, knowing they're coming out. Personally, I would hate to play for a coach like that. I just wish Cal would allow players to play through mistakes.
Posts: 10345 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-05-2018 06:54 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Paul, you make a good point and when the player goes back in the game they are afraid to shoot knowing if the miss they have a good chance of getting the hook. It takes away their confidence.

[ 02-06-2018, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 02-06-2018 11:00 AM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We pass the ball a lot, but we pass without a purpose. The weave at the top often involves a series of the passes where the ball never moves from the top of the key. There is no passing to swing the ball from side to side to make the defense move nor is there very much passing to the inside and then back out to make the defense collapse and expand. If you are not making the defense move or advancing the ball up the floor, the pass has no real purpose and is no different than just dribbling the ball in place. I am not sure who is to blame, but this is a very difficult team to watch right now.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2259 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-06-2018 01:03 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They do keep the ball at the head of the circle a lot. But they do move it to the corners and try to get the pass into the center but a lot of the time it is stolen. Ball handling has been a sore spot for these guys from the get go. they don't envision the defense stepping in to intercept it. No hurry until the last 5 minutes of the game. The only speed they show is when they get a seldom fast break anymore. And I hope they are getting some shooting in during practice.
Posts: 14165 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com