TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Respect!!!!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Respect!!!!
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-10-2017 05:06 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I feel the same way as Cal. We have a deeper bench than just about any team in the country, and the guys on the bench could be starting for most of the teams in the country. Plus we have 2 guys who haven't played a lick because of injury. If we were to get these two guys back by March I don't feel there's anyone who can stop us. I just don't have a lot of concern over this team right now. 26-4

""""Normally, the play of Kentucky's freshmen is one of college basketball's major storylines.

That hasn't been the case this season and UK head coach John Calipari has taken notice.

Despite having won six straight games following a close loss to No. 4 Kansas in Chicago, the No. 8 Wildcats (8-1) have actually dropped in the polls.

Following a 93-76 win over Monmouth in New York Saturday that saw freshmen Hamidou Diallo (23 points), P.J. Washington (20 points) and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (15 points) post career-highs, Calipari voiced displeasure at the lack of respect for his players.

"I'm a little disappointed that the kids aren't getting the respect I think they deserve as players," Calipari said. "I've done this for 30-something years. I know one player from another. I don’t know if it's people's opinion or their hope that this guy is not that good."

Kentucky's top six scorers are all freshmen, led by Kevin Knox's 16.6 points per game. Knox is projected as a top-10 pick in the 2018 NBA Draft while Diallo and freshman big man Nick Richards are also projected as first round picks. Washington is currently slated as a second round pick.

Calipari said his team still has a ways to go but is definitely taking steps in the right direction.

"We're just getting going," Calipari said. "There were some things we did in the first half you would think we've cracked through. Well, we really haven't but we are trending the right way."

The Wildcats will get a crack at earning some national respect over the next three weeks with upcoming games against Virginia Tech, UCLA and Louisville.""""

Posts: 14132 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 12-10-2017 07:27 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Read the KSR article about this topic. They talk about how Cal is always saying his team isn't that good, they've got a long way to go and they're the youngest team in the history of college basketball, etc. If he's allowed to say that, then why is he getting upset when the media does? You can't have it both ways, Cal.

Plus, who gives a rats tail about respect? Just win a damn title! [Smile]

Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 12-11-2017 07:52 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Who have we beat????No one of any significance. The Kansas loss is not looking so good now that they have lost twice within the past week, both losses were home games and to teams they were favored to beat. I still have a ton of questions about our young team and were I a voter, I would not have us in my top ten as of right now. If we win the next three games against Va Tech, UCLA and U of L, then we will be showing some progress. This team are young but I personally do not see the talent level on this team that Cal has had on prior teams. This time last season we knew Monk and Fox were special players who would be one and done, I can't say that about any player on our current roster. I don't think Gabriel has improved one iota since last season but do feel Killena Jones has. This team could be a force to deal with by March madness, but to me as a huge Cat fan, they still have to prove they can beat a team that is considered a major division one power.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-11-2017 08:11 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I feel the same way, SCWC. But then again, at this point in the season, most teams look pretty rough, ours included.

I have high hopes for MAJOR improvement in

Richards - Need to develop a "beast-mode" attitude for the kind of rebounding and defense he is capable of, plus at least a couple of go-to post moves other than his baby hook.

Gabriel - Cal has this guy confused with his constant talk about being the "energy guy". True, we need ALL players to be giving their all, but Gabriel has the potential to be a devastating stretch-4.

Killya-Jones - If he can learn to hold his spot on the block, he could be a great guy off the bench to spell Richards. His game is more offensive, with a sweet jump shot and some decent post moves.

Diallo -- great athlete, and a major factor in our success when he lets the game come to him. His desire to make the Sports Center top 10 leads him to try the "hard play" instead of the easy one; once he tires of the mustard, he will be a great one.

Knox and Washingto are already outstanding players who should only improve over the course of the season. Ditto for Green and Gilgeous-Alexander.

The wild cards for this team are Vanderbilt and Baker. If they both can return to the lineup and catch up with the team, then this is going to be a very tough team to beat. If not, we still have the potential to develop into a team that gives us fans a memorable season. Our weakness is at guard, which is unusual for a Cal team. We have a short bench in those positions, and we are one injury away from a real problem. I hope Green's eye will be OK!

But, as with all young tems, we won't see the 'real' UK until late January or early February.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13597 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-11-2017 10:30 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We are alright. We are so deep we don't miss Vanderbilt and Baker yet. We will have some one and dones and may lose more than 4 guys. Washington is starting to learn how he can play and what was said about Diallo is true. I've seen him twice try to tear the rim down with windmill dunks only to miss the shot. I hope to see him settle down some. Knox showed he can have a horrible day like the last game but for the most part he is doing what he needs to do. Our guards aren't showing what they are capable of yet but Green is shooting the three good and Alexander is playing some tough defense. If we had Baker it would be a pretty good 3some. With Wynyard having to pick up some minutes he should start feeling more at ease on the floor. He got some rebounds and made some good passes. His shooting should improve when he feels secure on the floor. Still say 26-4. There are no power house teams that can't be beat. We can play with any of them and will beat most of them. Bring on UCLA and Louisville.
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-11-2017 11:14 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When we beat someone of significance we will get respect. I am perfectly fine with being lower in the rankings, and flying under the radar a bit. This team has a long way to go to be a national title contender, but they can get there. I still say we will lose 8-10 games in the regular season, especially with the improvement of the SEC this year. But as long as we pull it all together by the SEC tournament, I will be fine with that. I sure hope we get Vanderbilt and Baker back in January. Any updates on that front?
Posts: 5424 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 12-11-2017 12:27 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't see us losing more than 6 games in the regular season, and that includes the Kansas loss. This team is too good to lose 7 more games on our schedule.
uncSUCKS
Player
Member # 2148

posted 12-11-2017 01:05 PM      Profile for uncSUCKS   Email uncSUCKS   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd be surprised if we don't lose at least 7-8 games this year. SEC is better than it has been in many years and this young group may struggle especially with away games. With that said I'm okay with that because I trust that come March no team will want to play these Cats

--------------------
"God is great, beer is good.....and people are crazy!"

Posts: 3241 | From: stuck in the land of the tarhole ! | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-11-2017 03:22 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope for less loses, but I won't be surprised if we are around 8-10 losses. I just hope it is like the Harrison twins freshmen year where we struggled a lot during the season, and then it all came together for the SEC tournament, and a final four run. That team really looked bad at times, and great other times. Then, they put it all together at the end of the season. Of course, some great shooting by Aaron was a big part of that.
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 12-11-2017 04:51 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IMO this team is better than last years team if you consider one thru eight and not even counting the 2 injured players.

Our Ky boys last year were not nba players and everyone on this team is.

We will be very very good come mid jan!!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 12-11-2017 04:55 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They showed me they could play with anybody, in their only loss of the season so far.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36266 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-12-2017 11:09 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is a lot of false news out there. I haven't bought into how great the SEC is yet. I don't care about the RPI because I know what causes it to be what it is. It doesn't really mean anything yet except to tell us which teams have a tough schedule so far. Some of those top teams are starting to lose some games that were supposed to have an whatever - o record so far. On schedule for a 26-4 record.
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 12-23-2017 08:03 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukman:
When we beat someone of significance we will get respect. I am perfectly fine with being lower in the rankings, and flying under the radar a bit. This team has a long way to go to be a national title contender, but they can get there. I still say we will lose 8-10 games in the regular season, especially with the improvement of the SEC this year. But as long as we pull it all together by the SEC tournament, I will be fine with that. I sure hope we get Vanderbilt and Baker back in January. Any updates on that front?

Looks like you were the smart one a few weeks ago, Ukman. I didn't see 8-10 losses at all, but now I can see it. I've been watching Tennessee and Alabama and other SEC teams lately, and we have a long way to go before we win in their gyms. The road games on the SEC schedule this year could be very difficult.
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-23-2017 08:57 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I bought tickets to UT, and I am not feeling that confident RIGHT NOW. maybe I will feel better after U of L. This could be a very up and down year.
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 12-24-2017 06:33 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I still say they wont lose a home game. They will shake it off. They are a much better team that what they showed.

The defense is what really cost them the game. If it was lack of talent, I would not be optimistic.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-24-2017 10:48 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
boomdaddy, I wish I had your confidence.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com